Cashier's Check

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Victor Laszlo said:
Will a Dominican bank (Banco Progreso, to be specific) readily accept a cashier's check drawn on a US bank?
I'm sure they will, although they may make you wait a period of time until it clears, and want to give you the funds in pesos.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Escott said:
Thirty days is the period most banks make you wait to use your money although even a personal check clears in 2-3 days.
You may also find that change banks who know you will give you pesos cash on the spot for the checque.
If they don't know you, they may accept someone vouching for you and the checque, or accept some collateral.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Similar to the topic

Is the Citibank branch in Santiago affiliated with the Citibank in the US if I want to withdraw or deposit funds??

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are other places where you can cash cheques.
In Puerto Plata most exchange offices accepts cheques in other currencies for pesos. They don?t give out the foreign currency it?s stated in though.
I personally always cash any US cheques I get at RUSA.
They give the money directly.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
Is the Citibank branch in Santiago affiliated with the Citibank in the US if I want to withdraw or deposit funds??
That's a great question. I've heard no, from multiple sources. But all my information is secondhand info. Hopefully, someone with some firsthand information will answer your question.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rellosk said:
That's a great question. I've heard no, from multiple sources. But all my information is secondhand info. Hopefully, someone with some firsthand information will answer your question.
The easy sure way to find out is to phone Citibank and ask them.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
The easy sure way to find out is to phone Citibank and ask them.
You'd think it would be that easy, but these days with automated phone systems and outsourcing customer service, it will take hours to get a simple question answered. It would be easier to walk into a Citibank branch and ask the question.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Citibank

As far as I know:
Citibank banks outside the US are not related to US-Citibank (they are not branches). Your Citibank Card may work at their ATM but you can't just move money form one account to the other (US to Dominican) like this was one bank. They are independent corporations and that's also the way they would be regulated by law. In other words, if Citibank in the DR would go belly up and you had money there, Citibank in the US would not be responsible.
It's still a save bank (IMO). I dealt with them in Ecuador (on above basis) and in the US too. They are not bound to disapear lightly.
You may want to check with the US based Citibank International office(s) to see if they would set up an account that would be US based but servicable through Citibank in the DR.

Hope this is of help to you.
... J-D