Samana Penninsula

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Good people,

On this trip to the DR, I will very likely find my way over to the Samana Pennisula and would like information about the better towns to explore there with the best chance of finding a community that has a good mixture of Dominicans and expats and also that has good services and internet access. I am always very open and outgoing, and I speak Spanish fairly fluently (B level) and am seeking to find a community of accepting and open individuals. I will stay in the DR for approximately 2 1/2 months from the beginning of Sept. to mid November.

Can you give me any suggestions as to your favorite places on the Samana Penninsula to live or to stay for a couple of months at a time. Las Terrenas is one town on my list and any suggestion for other towns in the area would be greatly appreciated. Most importantly would be suggestions as to hotel room or studio rental rates, especially in Las Terrenas or Samana. I cannot afford anything really high end, but places that are reasonalbly priced and secure with 24/7 electricity, t.v, a/c, and well maintained. I prefer a place w/o a pool, as it is more likely to be reasonably priced. I can afford no more than $25 per day for rent but prefer to pay $20. I do not need a kitchen, but a small regfrigerator would be convenient. Since I eat at restaurants, what would be the average price for a lunch or dinner?

I would especially appreciate various rental options that fall within my daily budget, which is around $50 per day. I have heard that the beaches around the pennisula are exceptional especially on the north coast. I wonder if there are nice beaches that are not swarming with tourists, where I can walk for long distances undisturbed. Security is a big issue for me as I have been robbed before at knife point and wish to avoid that experience again. Thanks.

Saludos y afectos

Ron

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I think that most would agree that the Colibri is one of the best places to stay in Las Terrenas. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the accommodations are wonderful. Whether you need a small studio, a one bedroom or something larger, each of the apartments are equipt with full kitchen and internet access. The apartments are directly across the road from the beach and everything you will want or need is within walking distance or a short and inexpensive motorconcho ride.

Also, you must visit Las Galeras which is not too far from Las Terrenas. I just returned last week and cannot say enough good things about this small, off-the-beaten track village a few miles north of Samana City. I stayed with Juan and LoLo in one of the properties they manage and had a phenominal visit. It is a peaceful, quiet, village, with virtually no nightlife, but, that's how I like it. I was so captivated by the village that I deferred going to what everyone says is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world at Rincon until my next visit. You will not regret spending time in Las Galeras.

You are going to have a wonderful trip!

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Hotel Colibri in Las Terrenas?

RonS said:
I think that most would agree that the Colibri is one of the best places to stay in Las Terrenas. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the accommodations are wonderful. Whether you need a small studio, a one bedroom or something larger, each of the apartments are equipt with full kitchen and internet access. The apartments are directly across the road from the beach and everything you will want or need is within walking distance or a short and inexpensive motorconcho ride.

Also, you must visit Las Galeras which is not too far from Las Terrenas. I just returned last week and cannot say enough good things about this small, off-the-beaten track village a few miles north of Samana City. I stayed with Juan and LoLo in one of the properties they manage and had a phenominal visit. It is a peaceful, quiet, village, with virtually no nightlife, but, that's how I like it. I was so captivated by the village that I deferred going to what everyone says is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world at Rincon until my next visit. You will not regret spending time in Las Galeras.

You are going to have a wonderful trip!

Hello Ron

thank you for the tip. I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. Do you have any idea how much it cost per day to stay at the Colibri? I had thought to stay in Barahona for a couple of months, but from your suggestion I may change plans. Do you know if the management is open to negotiating a price which is dependent on the duration of your stay. The fact that it is low season and that I may be staying a couple of months may be an infuence on the price. As I mentioned in my thread, I can afford no more than $25 per day for accommodation which I still consider a bit of a stretch, where $20 would be more comfortable. I am recovering from the loss of my life savings /retirement because I made a bad investment that turned out to be fraudulent. So my means are modest at best. Also, do you have a contact phone number for the hotel Colibri, as I will call them from here in the U.S. to inquire more.

And if I am based on the Samana Penninsula I will have more time to explore the other towns. What is your experience with the beach? Is it very touristy? or can you just walk a mile down the beach to escape the crowds? Again safety is a factor as walking on secluded beaches is not advised in Barahona, so that may apply to Las Terrenas as well.

Also, do you know what is the policy about having female companionship visit you at the hotel? I would not consider staying in a place that was not accommodating to that. I rather prefer my privacy and coming and going without judgement from others. I am very particular about what women I admit into my place and never have them spend the night, thus never any problems. Thank you for any further suggestions that you may have. Saludos y afectos.

Ron

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think I can help you. Go to Las Terrenas, take the road that runs along the beach. Near the end of the beach on the right is a place called Hotel Suisso (not sure of the spelling). You can get a small clean room there for about $17 U.S. That was the price last summer anyway and it cannot be much more now. No AC of course, but a ceiling fan.

This place also has very good food. They specialize in Swiss style meat dishes. They have a great Fondue there. But this is not cheap, however the rooms are adequate and like I said clean.

Also, they do not care if you bring a girl to the room.

gin

Mar 19, 2004
SKY said:
I think I can help you. Go to Las Terrenas, take the road that runs along the beach. Near the end of the beach on the right is a place called Hotel Suisso (not sure of the spelling). You can get a small clean room there for about $17 U.S. That was the price last summer anyway and it cannot be much more now. No AC of course, but a ceiling fan.

This place also has very good food. They specialize in Swiss style meat dishes. They have a great Fondue there. But this is not cheap, however the rooms are adequate and like I said clean.

Also, they do not care if you bring a girl to the room.

The link to the "Rancho Suizo website" : http://www.ranchosuizo.netfirms.com/index.html

En fran?ais :nervous: but the managers (and the rates ??) have changed some months ago... ;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The latter, I think

For a long term stay with an open minded management, try the Punta de Oro - which actually has a fact sheet on hookers -- run by Dutch who are open minded. Behind it is the Oasis which is more a family place. Both should be about 300-500 a month. There are apartments also right on the beach in the front of that road which are about the same rate but facing the beach. For those who have not been here recently, the Colibri is now up to about 165 US a night making it about the priciest room in town.

cheers .. enjoy