Brahma Beer

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I just had one and it ain't too bad! Cant give a great write up because I had it with my Yuca Frittas Con Pollo and Hot Sauce.

6 pesos less than the rip off Presidente at the Super Mercado so they got my vote! Screw overpriced presidente. When another decent beer comes out at 6 pesos less per six they get my business also. Screw the overpriced beer and everything else that is overpriced in this country!

Escott

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
You're kidding right?

Like gnat's p*ss. Utter rubbish - I thought maybe they had forgotten to put the beer in the bottle and had filled it with fizzy water by accident. Total and utter crap! 0 out of 10.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes a lousy beer. I think the best beer here is Quisquilla or Quesquilla or whatever the spelling is. To me it is a much smoother beer than Presidente. Presidente has a soda kick to it. I thought the Brahma is more like Bohemia and both to me have a subtle sour aftertaste. If you have not tried Quisquilla, give it a try.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Simon & Nicky said:
Like gnat's p*ss. Utter rubbish - I thought maybe they had forgotten to put the beer in the bottle and had filled it with fizzy water by accident. Total and utter crap! 0 out of 10.
Wow, I had a hot sauce on the food but I don't think that would have affected my taste that much. I guess I need to drink it with a empty pallette.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Best Beer I have ever had...

Newcastle. But it is a little heavy for my taste these days. I would still like to have half of one. Once bought them by the case. Those were the days.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I had a Brahma last Saturday night in Santo Domingo, and was not impressed. It was not as good as the Brahma I have when I am in Brazil, and certainly not as good as Presidente.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Ambar beer

I had an amber beer named, appropriately, Ambar at a restaurant in Boca Chica. Never saw it anywhere else. Does anyone know if it's available in the Sosua area?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have had it a couple of times now, not impressed. I'm happy to pay RD$6 more in Sosua for a beer I enjoy drinking :)

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I had it here in Florida, I thought it tasted like MGD, which sucks. Even more so that a 6 of MGD is about $3 less than Brahma. No more for me.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Are you talking about brazilian Brahma? http://www.brahma.com.br

I am more then happy that more brazilian products are being imported lately, and their prices beat everything else I've seen on this island. In Sirena/SDQ they have a brazilian fruit "Cida" (quite good Arbor Mist clone) at 75 Pesos per liter or so. Everything else in the whole alcohols section doesn't even come close, at least 170 peses and upwards. Carrefur has brazilian "Garoto" bon-bons, those are just awesome if you happen to like chocolate. Selling elsewhere at 30 pesos a unit, they have huge bags of around than 20 units for 150 pesos.

Can only hope they import Antarctica soon, thats the real brazilian nr1 beer.
http://www.antarctica.com.br/

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Competition is good for the market....

I bought my first Brahma with great anticipation but have to say it was a big let down. Well described in above post, anemic in body and taste. I tend to flip back and forth between Presidente's and Bohemia, find it helps me appreciate each of them a bit more. Not great beers but they ain't bad either. All in all, with the price of good rum what it is I am developing a greater appreciation for it :bandit: .

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
PlantaFULL said:
Are you talking about brazilian Brahma? http://www.brahma.com.br

I am more then happy that more brazilian products are being imported lately, and their prices beat everything else I've seen on this island. In Sirena/SDQ they have a brazilian fruit "Cida" (quite good Arbor Mist clone) at 75 Pesos per liter or so. Everything else in the whole alcohols section doesn't even come close, at least 170 peses and upwards. Carrefur has brazilian "Garoto" bon-bons, those are just awesome if you happen to like chocolate. Selling elsewhere at 30 pesos a unit, they have huge bags of around than 20 units for 150 pesos.

Can only hope they import Antarctica soon, thats the real brazilian nr1 beer.
http://www.antarctica.com.br/
It's Brahma produced in the DR, not imported. Same name, same company, different taste. Must be the water....

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I talked to some local bar owners and apparently Brahma is NOT trying to be price competetive, in fact they are charging a few pesos more per case on the wholesale level than Presidente.

If you are paying less for Brahma on the retail side there is either some special promotion going on or else the bar owners are having a hell of a time selling it.

I have heard rumors that they are giving away the refrigerators and in some cases a giant screen tv to businesses that want to take them on as a supplier.

Since I'm opening a bar/cafe in back of my store I am checking this out thoroughly and will report back if I get my free refrigerator. (Presidente is out of stock on fridges for the next 2 months or so and they don't give them away, but they do give 18 month payment plans on refrigerators, which is real nice of them)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know what everyone is talking about but me and my domincian friends had a side by side beer taste test. brahama vs. presidente. Brahma won by a slight margin. It was more smoother while presidente was more bitter.
Brahma will be a winner among girls for sure but guys will buy it too. Many people in santiago are very impressed with brahma beer.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ain't much of a beer drinker lately.

I have had bellyfulls of Presidente and Quisqueya, but that was a few hundred pounds ago. :p

Recently tried a Brahma and found it to be tasty, and, funny, I thought it had a bit more body and aroma than Presidente.

If you know anything about advertizing, you will see that Presidente is positioning its Bohemia beer as the chief competitor to Brahma..in other words, President is above this fight.....LOL :D:D:D:D:p:p:p

They did the same thing when Winston tried to enter the cigarette market. They positioned Nacional campaigns to fight Winston....

All told, I think that the beer will take a part of the market. How much? Maybe 10% or therabouts in a year or so...

HB :D:D Beer taster extrordinaire

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
MrMike said:
Since I'm opening a bar/cafe in back of my store I am checking this out thoroughly and will report back if I get my free refrigerator. (Presidente is out of stock on fridges for the next 2 months or so and they don't give them away, but they do give 18 month payment plans on refrigerators, which is real nice of them)

so you have to buy fridge from presidente?
how much do they cost?
i was thinking of opening up a colmado and need info
on presidente fridge and coca cola fridge. any info on cost?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Escott said:
6 pesos less than the rip off Presidente at the Super Mercado so they got my vote! Screw overpriced presidente. When another decent beer comes out at 6 pesos less per six they get my business also. Screw the overpriced beer and everything else that is overpriced in this country!

Escott

I don't think Presidente is overpriced (specially when you consider that a big chunk of that money goes towards taxes paid to the government). Here in The US I pay 7 to 8 pesos per six pack of similar or even worse beer such as Heineken, Corona, Becks, etc...

The only ones you can find cheaper than those are the budweisers, millers, coors and all their derivatives...and I would rather pay the extra couple of dollars. Even Sam Adams is pretty close in price.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
suarezn said:
I don't think Presidente is overpriced (specially when you consider that a big chunk of that money goes towards taxes paid to the government). Here in The US I pay 7 to 8 pesos per six pack of similar or even worse beer such as Heineken, Corona, Becks, etc...

The only ones you can find cheaper than those are the budweisers, millers, coors and all their derivatives...and I would rather pay the extra couple of dollars. Even Sam Adams is pretty close in price.
This is a totally irrational post. If you are saying that you pay 7 to 8 dollars for Heineken, Corona, Becks and you feel they are inferior to Presidente, then you are consuming too much. Especially with Presidente at 40 pesos/bottle which comes to $8.57 per six-pack.