New Rum

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Escott said:
Don Rhon VSOP Gran reservas

I just bought a bottle. Anyone have anything to say about it?

Escott

Forget it! Don Rhon is not a rum, it's a concoction tasting of rum (you won't find the word 'ron' on the label), and it's also only 60 proof (30 degrees).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
Forget it! Don Rhon is not a rum, it's a concoction tasting of rum (you won't find the word 'ron' on the label), and it's also only 60 proof (30 degrees).
What is it then?
Is it a liqueur?
Did you mean, 30%?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
What is it then?
Is it a liqueur?
Did you mean, 30%?

It is aguardiente (30% alcohol) with a touch of caramel for color and flavoring, bottled with a fancy label.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mirador said:
You're probably right. I've only heard the term VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale) used for Cognac/Brandy. I think Cognac and Brandy are distilled wines (or are they two sisters I knew years ago?)

BTW: I think you mean 30 percent not 30 degrees.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mirador said:
It is aguardiente (30% alcohol) with a touch of caramel for color and flavoring, bottled with a fancy label.
Acording to the dictionary, aguardiente is Brandy.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scott, if you are interest in Dominican Rums, this site lists some that I've never heard of including Cubaney and Macorix.

The site does show Don Rohn, but the bottle shown is labeled "Ron Dominicano".

I promise, if you find these different rums, I will help you complete a taste test. :lick: :lick: