Housing in Higuey

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Hi. I am interested in relocating to Higuey some time in the near future. I will return to the area for the third time in November. However I am wondering if anyone can direct me to someone who can help me with housing costs in that area? Thanks to all in advance for any info. Mona

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Just out of curiousity, why Higuey? I get the heebie geebies every time I go there with all the motorcycles criss crossing all over the place...

mona said:
Hi. I am interested in relocating to Higuey some time in the near future. I will return to the area for the third time in November. However I am wondering if anyone can direct me to someone who can help me with housing costs in that area? Thanks to all in advance for any info. Mona

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
mona said:

What is it exactly you are looking for? Are you looking to rent or purchase? Is it in Higuey proper or the surrounding area you are interested to relocate?

Regards,
PJT

mona

Aug 19, 2005
I am looking to purchase a home there in the future, when I am sure employment can be secured.But a general idea of the cost to rent a home would be good too. I would like a small house that has running water (ja ja), cold water...I'm told but water none the less.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
mona said:
I am looking to purchase a home there in the future, when I am sure employment can be secured.But a general idea of the cost to rent a home would be good too. I would like a small house that has running water (ja ja), cold water...I'm told but water none the less.

You are still somewhat vague on your information but I will answer the best I can.

Rent for a 2 bdrm home in the area (Higuey-Punta Cana) will range from about US$ 200/month and upward. Higuey costs will be slightly lower. Higuey will have a greater range of prices and quality of housing, poor to wow. Punta Cana has recent and new construction where rents will begin at US$ 600 and up. Costs of new homes and construction in P.C. for a 2 bdrm home/condo apt. will start at about US$ 45,000.

Land prices will vary, $15 M? and up in Higuey, $25 M? and up in P.C. - Land near or with access rights to a P.C. beach will start at $80 M?, a median price is around $150 M?. It is not unheard of a price in the $200 M? or higher range.

Higuey will have power blackouts and occasions of no water distribution. Punta Cana has 24/7 power and ample water. Higuey has better access to more food varieties, materials, and services. Punta Cana is limited in food variety, materials, and services - meaning if you can't find it in P.C. you have to go to Higuey, 45 km trip. Costs of materials and services in P.C. are higher.

Employment is another factor to review. The area has an agriculture/cattle raising history that has/is acquiring a tourism based economy. There are many who arrive to the area with desires of gainful employment only to have their bubble burst because of a job market saturated with similar job seekers. One has to be independently wealthy to establish a business demanded for the area or have credentials in demand. Otherwise, you are just another banana in the cluster.

Regards,
PJT

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Thank-You for the info. The information you have provided is very helpful. And as I said securing employment will have to come first before any long term decisions are made. I understand that I need enough money to survive for a few months before I come there. I am choosing that area because I have a friend there, however employment will dictate where I will live. My friend rents...but for me this is not a long term option. So again Thank-You.