Is Washington Heights worth the visit?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Can anybody give me directions to Washington Heights New York from Penn Station via the New York subway? I know there is a triving Dominican community there. My wife and son seem to feel that this is the place to visit when in New York.

They seem to think that they can buy all kinds of Dominican products there: Ie. hair and food products.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Washington Hgts

Fred said:
Can anybody give me directions to Washington Heights New York from Penn Station via the New York subway? I know there is a triving Dominican community there. My wife and son seem to feel that this is the place to visit when in New York.

They seem to think that they can buy all kinds of Dominican products there: Ie. hair and food products.

Fred,

Any subway that heads 'uptown' will take you to Washington Hgts. I would suggest hiring a cab for your trip. You can find many places to buy Dominican products even right down to "real Dominican brewed Presidentes and Brugal rum". There are great Dominican bodegas and restaurants with merengue and bachata being played in the streets. I would also suggest that you do not linger in Washington Hgts after dark. It is NOT the same Dominican Republic that everyone is so used to back on the island. The influence of good ole "inner city" America as sunk into the culture where gangs and drugs rules the streets! Just my humble opinion from someone that lives here and works in New York's criminal justice system!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002

Thank, however which subway stop do you get off at? I dont plan on being there after dark thats for sure. Just a couple of hours to eat and do some shopping.

gatamayo

Feb 16, 2005
Fred said:

From Penn Station take the #1 train straight to 181st street. From there you can pretty much walk around and see for yourself if its worth it. They have some great restaurants and shops there. You can also get off at Dyckman Street and check out the shops there. Mind you if you are expecting to be treated as tourists as if visiting the Dominican Republic itself then be ready for a surprise, you won't be. You'll be treated as tourists visiting New York City. Washington Heights is such a large enclave of Dominican residents you'll definitely need you're walking shoes. Enjoy yourself and be careful.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Thanks

I have been to New York many times. However, never to Washington Heights. I am not expecting to be treated like a tourist in the Dr. I know well what to expect. However, my Dominican wife wants to go there.

She seems to think that it is something special.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
In my experience of living across the US, NYC is one of the safest places to be. If you go scared then it eminates and you will get jumped. LOL

Take 1,9 to W. 181 St. look around and you are in the heartland....

But if you want the grand tour put some sneakers on, store your hiking backpack, take the train to W. 125 St. and walk to Dyckman or W. 220th St.
You can do it on B'way or zig-zag from Broadway to Amsterdam, hit St.Nicholas (St. Nick)/Juan Pable Duarte, Audobon, Ft. Washinton, Riverside, etc. Oh and don't forget to shop at "El Mundo," eat a meal at a "Carolina's Restaurant" along the way, drink/eat a piragua/pastelito from a corner vendor, and play/watch a dominoe's game on the broadway islands in the middle of the road. NOW that's a look through the heights.

Fred said:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Take #1 or A train to 181st

Fred said:

181st and Dyckman are two of the main strips in Washington Heights, also there are many shops on Broadway. Also if you have time to kill, you can take a taxi over the University Heights Bridge at 207th street to connect you straight to Fordham Rd. You'll be rubbing elbows with the Bronx Dominicans and there's tons of shopping.

If you take the A train it will be faster and it will put you on Broadway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on where she and the kid are from in the DR,

Washington Heights may well be the cat's meow.

It is a dirty, busy bunch of streets and avenues that serve the Dominican population well....Lots of apartment buildings, where all of the supers are Dominicans, and the typical crowded streets of NYC.

If you take the A train you can get off at 181 and find your way around.

181 and Broadway to 181 and Dyckman is the heart of the area.

Any stop above 154th street is Dominican land.

HB :D:D:D

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
With respect to all that have helped

Yes, Washington Hgts is a great enclave. But it should be enjoyed in the daytime hours and NOT into the night. Not attempting to "scare" anyone but to enlighten that Washington Hgts or any other neighborhood for that matter is not safe to anyone that doesn't really know their way around. The agenda here is to give good advice but also to be responsible while doing it. Washington Hgts is great, I am there all the time as I have family and friends there! Want to have some fun? Get into a car and drive through the 10th Ave/ University Hgts Bridge intersection. A true Dominican style traffic jam! ENJOY!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Hillbilly said:

It is a dirty, busy bunch of streets and avenues that serve the Dominican population well....Lots of apartment buildings, where all of the supers are Dominicans, and the typical crowded streets of NYC.
100% right. You took the words out of my mouth!!. But:

You DID NOT mentioned the "talking" very loud and the fricking loud music coming out of people's apartments and cars!!!!!.

But she will feel right at home. And she will be able to find whatever she is looking for.

Welcome to the DR!.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
With all due respect Mr. Hillbilly, there are plenty of Dominicans between
125 St. (Hamilton Heights section of Harlem) and 154 St.

However with gentrification, incoming populations of Mexicans, and emigrating populations of Dominican-Americans to other parts of the US, it is only a matter of time before this too shall pass.

Hillbilly said:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ah, but I did....

miguel said:
100% right. You took the words out of my mouth!!. But:

You DID NOT mentioned the "talking" very loud and the fricking loud music coming out of people's apartments and cars!!!!!.

But she will feel right at home. And she will be able to find whatever she is looking for.

Welcome to the DR!.

Miguel,

I mentioned the music! I just didn't mentioned that it is played louder than a jet engine!!! OYE!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What?, Que?, Como?, Cuando?, Adonde?!!

DominicanScotty said:
Miguel,

I mentioned the music! I just didn't mentioned that it is played louder than a jet engine!!! OYE!
1- Sorry but the name is MIGUEL and not Manuel. Opps, I see that you fixed it. Never mind.

2- I was quoting Hillbilly.

I grew up in Brooklyn and the few times that I HAD to go to WH (to visit girlfriends relatives) I could not wait to get out!!. One even DROPPED like a sack of potatoes because I just refused to go there!!. Oh well.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Pluheez! I speak as a person that no longer lives in NYC but still travel NYC party and move around everywhere.

Do you know that time folks go to sleep? This is NYC we are talking about for criss sake! And this is the summer time! People are on the streets 24/7. Anytime before 12 midnight around club areas like where Mirage are and 145st are just fine. Else they wouldn't be in business for so long.

I would be more scared to be jumped in a white area on the east side where people would look at you and see you bleeding than in the heights were there's bound to be a nosybody that would "pegar un golpe" to become hero for a day.

Needless to say these folks (Fred and his Wife) will tire out around 8 or 9pm so this is not an issue. But these are perfectly good times to be out and about.

DominicanScotty said:
Yes, Washington Hgts is a great enclave. But it should be enjoyed in the daytime hours and NOT into the night. Not attempting to "scare" anyone but to enlighten that Washington Hgts or any other neighborhood for that matter is not safe to anyone that doesn't really know their way around. The agenda here is to give good advice but also to be responsible while doing it. Washington Hgts is great, I am there all the time as I have family and friends there! Want to have some fun? Get into a car and drive through the 10th Ave/ University Hgts Bridge intersection. A true Dominican style traffic jam! ENJOY!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Is Wahington Heights worth the visit?

For a gram or less probably not. I heard though that larger quantities can be scored at a better price.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You said it all

deelt said:
Pluheez! I speak as a person that no longer lives in NYC but still travel NYC party and move around everywhere.

Do you know that time folks go to sleep? This is NYC we are talking about for criss sake! And this is the summer time! People are on the streets 24/7. Anytime before 12 midnight around club areas like where Mirage are and 145st are just fine. Else they wouldn't be in business for so long.

I would be more scared to be jumped in a white area on the east side where people would look at you and see you bleeding than in the heights were there's bound to be a nosybody that would "pegar un golpe" to become hero for a day.

Needless to say these folks (Fred and his Wife) will tire out around 8 or 9pm so this is not an issue. But these are perfectly good times to be out and about.

And as long as Mr Fred and his wife have a safe and enjoyable trip you did a fine job!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:

If you take the A train you can get off at 181 and find your way around.

181 and Broadway to 181 and Dyckman is the heart of the area.

Wow, HB in the hood.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Thanks again

Thanks to all the posters. I hope to visit during the day around lunch time. Have something to eat then take off.

If we get out of the subway stop and dont like the look of the place, we can just leave. No big deal.

There are so many other things to do in New York. However, you must understand that my wife has been hearing about this area her whole life. So at least if she gets to go there and see it she can tell everyone she has been there.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Fred, please go and enjoy!

Fred said:
Thanks to all the posters. I hope to visit during the day around lunch time. Have something to eat then take off.

If we get out of the subway stop and dont like the look of the place, we can just leave. No big deal.

There are so many other things to do in New York. However, you must understand that my wife has been hearing about this area her whole life. So at least if she gets to go there and see it she can tell everyone she has been there.

I wish to speak for myself here. It wasn't my intention to scare you! Please do go and enjoy this enclave rich with Dominican culture. Just be careful as you would in any other neighborhood!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ahhhh Miguel, Miguel, Miguel....

miguel said:
1- Sorry but the name is MIGUEL and not Manuel. Opps, I see that you fixed it. Never mind.

2- I was quoting Hillbilly.

I grew up in Brooklyn and the few times that I HAD to go to WH (to visit girlfriends relatives) I could not wait to get out!!. One even DROPPED like a sack of potatoes because I just refused to go there!!. Oh well.

Please accept my apologies for calling you Manuel.... I just got off the phone with Manuel from El Batey and well... Oh yesssssss, the yelling and screaming of a group of people standing on the corner of Wadsworth and St Nick as Anthony Santos blares in the background. Ain't it great???

Last edited: