I hate Edenorte!

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
I just got screwed by Edenorte and had to pay a bill that is almost double what I usually pay. My lawyer was supposed to be taking care of it, but he dropped the ball and Edenorte cut off my power today, so I had no choice but to pay the bill.

Does anyone know if there is a law against installing a planta and using it instead of Edenorte? I know there are lots of people who do it, but I have heard that you have to use the power supplied by Edenorte when it's available. In fact, I have a friend who has a planta and is not connected to the street power, and Edenorte recently came out and told him he has to have a meter.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a planta if Edenorte is going to trying to get me to pay for the power I should have been using from them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
chadverizon said:
I just got screwed by Edenorte and had to pay a bill that is almost double what I usually pay. My lawyer was supposed to be taking care of it, but he dropped the ball and Edenorte cut off my power today, so I had no choice but to pay the bill.

Does anyone know if there is a law against installing a planta and using it instead of Edenorte? I know there are lots of people who do it, but I have heard that you have to use the power supplied by Edenorte when it's available. In fact, I have a friend who has a planta and is not connected to the street power, and Edenorte recently came out and told him he has to have a meter.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a planta if Edenorte is going to trying to get me to pay for the power I should have been using from them.

I know people here that are off the grid and do not have a meter.

You are not obliged to buy power from EDNORTE, but I think they will still hit you for a very small monthly service charge.

Plantas can get expensive to run 24x7 when you add in the fuel costs etc.
Alternatively run it at night for the AC and to charge an inverter for day time use.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you HAVE to have a meter

Now, if you are going to try and go off the grid, be sure you have Plans A,B & C.

A) Good, steady genset of maybe 20 kilos. Look into getting a slow turning German genset, maybe made by Witte. The sort that sort of chug along. Long, long life. We have an ONAN 20 kw, but it runs at 1800 rpm...so far so good.

B) An inverter-maybe 2.5 or 3.5 kw-that can run just about evrything in your house for a few hours. Noelle (may God rest her soul) told us how her 3.5 unit kept her B&B running for three days after a major storm, freezers and all. Major investment in batteries but the good ones will last for years and years.

C) Think solar. 2.5 kw solar panels to your inverters mixed with low consumption or propane/12v fridge and lights and you have silent and fairly cheap electricity for at least 8 years with a good installation. Solar can be cost out over 7 years and still have as much as 10 years of life in the panels and 7 in the batteries--again with proper installation of top quality items.

HB, hoping you do go off line.. Serve the bastids right!!

diego

Aug 16, 2003
My monthly bill went from

3000 pesos per month to over 8000. no explanation
I asked for an investigation, they came out looked at the meter and said everything is OK..some investigation
Now i do as the dominicans do and my bill averages 1500 pesos a month

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Guy came around the other day after he heard I had problems with an electric bill. He offered to manipulate the meter so it runs slower...for 1000 pesos. He said everyone does it. I declined.

diego said:
3000 pesos per month to over 8000. no explanation
I asked for an investigation, they came out looked at the meter and said everything is OK..some investigation
Now i do as the dominicans do and my bill averages 1500 pesos a month

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Dig around on DR1

There is an electricity regulator / watchdog. They are supposed to look out for us. I am battling with a bill for many tens of thousands of pesos right now - trust me, your bill is chicken feed in comparison. The regulator office close to me is in Puerto Plata just before the Hospital when coming from Sosua. I have the number somewhere but maybe another member has it to hand? PM me if you don't get anywhere.

Simon

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
solar 2.5km where?

Hillbilly said:
Now, if you are going to try and go off the grid, be sure you have Plans A,B & C.

A) Good, steady genset of maybe 20 kilos. Look into getting a slow turning German genset, maybe made by Witte. The sort that sort of chug along. Long, long life. We have an ONAN 20 kw, but it runs at 1800 rpm...so far so good.

B) An inverter-maybe 2.5 or 3.5 kw-that can run just about evrything in your house for a few hours. Noelle (may God rest her soul) told us how her 3.5 unit kept her B&B running for three days after a major storm, freezers and all. Major investment in batteries but the good ones will last for years and years.

C) Think solar. 2.5 kw solar panels to your inverters mixed with low consumption or propane/12v fridge and lights and you have silent and fairly cheap electricity for at least 8 years with a good installation. Solar can be cost out over 7 years and still have as much as 10 years of life in the panels and 7 in the batteries--again with proper installation of top quality items.

HB, hoping you do go off line.. Serve the bastids right!!

HB, where can I find more info on solar solution you mentioned?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Let me tell you my story before you go off the deep end.

I got a bill that was over 50% higher and I was out of town half that month. After arguing with the administrator of the condo complex we changed meters and the other is working at a slower rate and costing less. They looked at my meter and said everything was working which of course they CANNOT tell without putting a load on it and testing which of course they did NOT.

My bills are back to Normal High instead of Normal STUPID!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Escott said:
Let me tell you my story before you go off the deep end.

I got a bill that was over 50% higher and I was out of town half that month. After arguing with the administrator of the condo complex we changed meters and the other is working at a slower rate and costing less. They looked at my meter and said everything was working which of course they CANNOT tell without putting a load on it and testing which of course they did NOT.

My bills are back to Normal High instead of Normal STUPID!

Scott - I'm not sure if I understand your post. Are you saying that you can choose what type of meter to have, and that some are better than others? - D

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Never can figure out how things work, just have to accept it

I moved out of my apartment almost 3 months ago. Had the power cut and did all the correct papers. Paid the bill. Got the paperwork said all was paid up and cancled. So wouldn't you think all is good? NO! I got a bill a few days ago. $100 pesos, not much, but this is not the point. The power was disconnected. Noone lives in the apartment. Didn't get any bills for 2 months and now this.

So I'm having my man look into it and see whats going on. He probably will have to pay the bill so I am able to get electric when I return.

Still love DR!

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
you can run a planta, put solar panels or anything you want, and get completely disconected from EDEs.

What you cannot do is run a planta and sell electricity to your neighbours, also I think you cannot do a "team" of neightbours and run a big planta for all.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny W said:
Scott - I'm not sure if I understand your post. Are you saying that you can choose what type of meter to have, and that some are better than others? - D
Danny, when my kilowat hours triples and I am in the states for 2 weeks I knew that there was a problem somewhere. I told our administrator of this problem and she looked at me with eyes that said "Oh boy, more problems that don't exist" and sent someone over to have me turn everything on in the house to see if the meter is running. I couldn't believe how stupid this was and that absolutely nothing was going to come out of this.

I ended up changing the meter and my Kilowatt hours dropped dramatically.

Just a case of Meter gone bad and people not having a clue on how to test a load with a meter.

I now have the old meter in my closet. Maybe they rebuild them and one day I will get that done.

Escott

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Colin and Cindy, who publish the Costambar Monthly had a little blip called New Syndrome Found on North Coast that talks about Edenorte in their June issue. Here's the link -

http://www.popreport.com/costambarmonthly/2005-06-June.pdf

Kinda cute. And I really need to get a life because I look forward to the new Costambar Monthly each month almost as much as Taco Tuesday.

Sooooo glad my electricity is included in my house rental.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
The scams are everywhere

I moved from one apartment in Naco, SD with 3 beds/3 baths to smaller apartment down the street in the same area with 2 beds / 2 baths. I was paying around 3k monthly for electricity in my old apartment. I just received my second bill for this new apartment - a whopping 8k (and I was on vacation for two weeks). I am being charged 'potencia'. From what I can understand, this is for businesses. I am sure this is done on purpose. When they were installing the meter two months ago, the security guy that works in my apartment told me they were installing an 'industrial' meter. I didn't know what he was talking about, but he said it will drive up the cost of my electricity and it did. What a freakin' scam...I have someone trying to resolve the issue. The point is that all of us seem to have issues with electricity. I wish you luck moving off the grid. I am sure you will be much happier in the long run.

Mark