Update after three months in Juan Dolio

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Hello to everyone,

After having moved here at the end May, I have lived three months in Juan Dolio, traveling basically daily into santo domingo este. And here is a summary of what I have learned,

1. Those on the board preach you must have pacience to live here, and I have to admit I am sill learning. My "I want it now" attitude does not work here.

2. Everyone is very nice to me as they try to reach into my wallet.

3. You cant charge more than 15,000 pesos at jumbo without the cashier sending you to the office.

4. Don't let family work for you, I should have listened to those on the board.

5. Connections are worth so much more than money.

6. You still can find bargins but they are far and few between.

7. If you aim for the stars, you might get lucky and hit the roof!

So far, I have enjoyed my move to the Dominican Republic, but I am still a baby and have a lot to figure out.

One thing I have lost is privacy. I treasured my privacy before, and now with family woking for me I have less.

It took me a month to get my car out of the port, even with the help of "officals".

I do happen to feel like a movie star at my workplace, and have been treated ever so respectfully by my employees, I can't even open up a box of milk without an armed guard telling me to sit and rest and that he or she will do it for me. Since it an outdoor kind of job, I sit under the cheekee hut, they bring the fans, coffee and such to me. All I am missing are the grapes held above my head.

I have taken up a new hobby since my arrival, everytime I see a sleeping watchman I shoot a foto, just for the fun of it. The one time I said something about it to the manager, I got a verbal slaying from my husband to mind my own business. Perhaps it will be a coffee table book someday.

Anyhow, I am here, and fully vested in the DR.
Just an update, more to come...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sleeping guards!!

Is this a hint that I should post my pic on my blog??

You could use it as an entry for your coffee table book.

I'm looking forward to getting together when we return to JD!
See you soon....

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sleeping guards

They must be in training for the "sleeping policeman" position. LOL
glad you are adjusting!
mkohn