(Merged) Hurricane Katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
god bless

the people in the "big easy"...new orleans....with katrina.. a category 5 hurricane on its way. this may not be dr related but i feel that any catastrope of this size that happens in the us or its neighbor to the north ..canada..has a negative impact on tourism in the dr.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
damn you Katrina

:angry: was just watching the news and had to vent.

paddy said:
the people in the "big easy"...new orleans....with katrina.. a category 5 hurricane on its way. this may not be dr related but i feel that any catastrope of this size that happens in the us or its neighbor to the north ..canada..has a negative impact on tourism in the dr.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Direct Impact

This has a direct impact on our business as we're waiting for a shipment of goods, from Miami, to be used in a trade show that we're attending .... without the goods we can't attend :( Looks like we may be in the clear though - my thoughts are with the people who have to live through Katrina .....

Stay well,
Amy

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Amazing!

I was watching CNN and I saw the wind lift Anderson Cooper up. This is a very serious hurricane.

May God be with all New Orleans!.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hurricane Katrina

My heart goes out to those that are being affected by this terrible natural enviroment monster.

After looking at the damages that all these areas have sustained, I must say that DR has been very blessed not to have such major destruction lately,
even though we are the nest and breeding grounds of most of these major storms.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
paddy said:
Don't we have quite a few members from those areas?

My deepest feelings to all of you guys.

kurius

May 31, 2005
One of my college roomates is from Huoma Louisianna which is south of New Orleans. She is safe and left a week early to go to grad school at LSU in Baton Rouge. She said that most of the damage was do to the flooding from the breach in the levy which has caused 80% of the city of New Orleans to be under 20ft of water.

Her home in Huoma which is about 40 min - 1hr south only had severe wind and typical hurricane damage, the flooding did not reach that far south. Nonetheless, they cannot return to their home because there is no electricity or drinking water and it is also not sanitary due to the conditions in New Orleans where sewers are free flowing in the flood waters and bodies of the hurricane victims as well as from cemeteries are also contributing to what she has called a breeding ground for disease. Moreover, those homes that were not destroyed by the flooding are being scavenged by looters, which is where her fears are.

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
The Destructive Hurricane

My question is simple. Where is all the OUTSIDE help from our South/Central American friends and those of the Caribbean and even Europe during this disaster on our Gulf Coast shores? I am not talking about individuals, I am talking about pledges of help and assistance from governments who readily ask for help from the USA in similar situations but when it is our turn, turn a deaf ear. Or shake their heads and say what a horrible situation it is. I can remember Hurricane Georges several years ago in the Dominican Republic and asked a friend what they were doing for preparation and the reply...nothing!!!! I can not help but wonder about this and wonder who our FRIENDS really are. And remember, I am speaking of GOVERNMENTS, not individuals because, I have many Dominican friends who would go to hell and back to assist in a situation such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Surly you jest

ECH714 said:
My question is simple. Where is all the OUTSIDE help from our South/Central American friends and those of the Caribbean and even Europe during this disaster on our Gulf Coast shores? I am not talking about individuals, I am talking about pledges of help and assistance from governments who readily ask for help from the USA in similar situations but when it is our turn, turn a deaf ear. Or shake their heads and say what a horrible situation it is. I can remember Hurricane Georges several years ago in the Dominican Republic and asked a friend what they were doing for preparation and the reply...nothing!!!! the USA will be here with help and everything we need in 48 hours!!!!! I can not help but wonder about this and wonder who our FRIENDS really are. And remember, I am speaking of GOVERNMENTS, not individuals because, I have many Dominican friends who would go to hell and back to assist in a situation such as this.

the US will wait until hell freezes for any help from other gov's. No more received than hand wringing, and also wondering why the US did not send money to somewhere else while its trying to clean up this mess.

When it come to something like this there are no Friends only hands out and mad if they don't get it.

;) I have many Dominican friends who would go to hell and back to assist in a situation such as this, problem is I'm not sure I would ever see them again, as part of the reason for assisting would be the trip! ;)

Apr 26, 2002
Dominican connection

I saw on The Weather Channel that the heavy rains that fell on the DR early last week were part of Tropical Depression #10. TD10 formed into Hurricane Katrina over the Bahamas later in the week.

Also, the Port of Gulfport, Mississippi, handles more tropical fruit than any other US port. The Port was destroyed.

As for help, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez has offered to send fuel, rescue crews, water and food. Alas, international disaster aid is no different than any other kind of international "aid". It's all about power and money.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I saw on The Weather Channel that the heavy rains that fell on the DR early last week were part of Tropical Depression #10. TD10 formed into Hurricane Katrina over the Bahamas later in the week.

Also, the Port of Gulfport, Mississippi, handles more tropical fruit than any other US port. The Port was destroyed.

As for help, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez has offered to send fuel, rescue crews, water and food. Alas, international disaster aid is no different than any other kind of international "aid". It's all about power and money.
I commend Chavez for wanting to help our country, now lets see who else is willing to put in a helping hand to help us in a time of need, like we have
helped many countries around the world.

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
Help And The Hurricane

Well, the New York Times just answered the question about others helping the USA it the time of devastating need.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Americans are pouring in millions of dollars in donations for disaster relief in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, rescue organizations said Wednesday.

The American Red Cross said it had so far raised $21 million, a figure comparable to the response for tsunami victims following the devastation in Asia earlier this year. Nearly $15 million of that has come from individual donations through its Web site, with the rest representing corporate contributions.

May 12, 2005
I'm not holding my breath for people ... to have a benefit concert for the hurricane victims.......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just because its not reported in the newspapers, it doesn't mean it isn't happening. In the aftermath of 911 there was a massive response in many countries outside the US. For example $30,000 was raised in my home town of Gibraltar, which calculated per capita is the equivalent of Britain sending $60 million. Then there are countries where most people are simply too poor, and their governments are too busy stealing money to do such a thing as make a donation, especially when the beneficiary country is perceived as, or is, rich.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Germany, is really the only ones that actually come out with pure heart and said it would help. And believe me they would do whatever it took.

We are in terrible devastation. God knows how many people are going to die from this? People are walking over bodies in households just trying to stay alive and get rescued.

I think it's about time, someone helps us out.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is the weather forum, not the USAid or any other aid forum. Closed. Our sympathies to those that suffered and are still suffering the effects of this major storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.