Best place for Snorkeling and Isla Saona and Catalina

Mikito

Feb 17, 2005
My brother is coming down to visit and I was wondering where the best place in the Dominican Republic is for Snorkelling. I have heard that Isla Saona and Catalina (I think its Catalina) is good but that you have to rent a boat to get there. I have been to Bayahibe before and remember seeing boats everywhere but not sure how to go about it. So my questions are these?

1. Where are good places to go Snorkelling in the Dominican Republic?

2. What is the best way to go snorkelling around the Islands close to Bayahibe if the snorkelling there is good? (and yes I speak spanish)

3. Is there any good snorkelling in the Cabrera area?

Thanks for you help

Mike

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Catalina is definitely worth the trip!

Boats leave from the dock in La Romana.

Where are you located?

I could give you a Number for a person who can connect you with an excursion if you are in the Juan Dolio area.

The diving is good at Isla Saona but the snorkeling is not so hot.

I understand there is some coral formations in the bay at Bayahibe however I haven't snorkeled them myself so can't comment.

The Catalina excursions include round trip boat to the island and all you can eat and drink for the day.
It's a fun day and the coral garden is very nice to view. The 'Aquarium' is better seen with scuba but there is some interesting snorkeling off the main beach area near where the cruise ships dock.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
ps...

watch out for the agua vivo!!? we went to catilina and snorkeled a little bit and i saw a piece of water moving and had no idea what it was...was going to ask but didnt...next thing i know my back is killing me. i ask if their is anything on it and they told me it looked like a giant mosquito bite!!! anyone know what agua vivo is in english? i was told its family of the jelly fish?? and can kill u ????