Warning:

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
I hadn't seen anything about this particular danger posted here before, but let me warn all that wear a cell phone clipped to their belt, don't let anyone get too close to you. I was walking down the street the other day when a motoconcho driver pulled around behind me, and taking advantage of the fact that my hands were full, reached out and snatched the cell phone right off my belt then sped off before I could react. Fortunately I was able to get the cell phone deactivated immediately but the thief will just go get the chip replaced whereas I had to get a new cell phone.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Never Hurts To Remind People !

So I will add,"Gold Chains",,and Pocketbooks/Purses to your list!

Never show cash,anything of value on the street.
Never leave valuables in your car, or car's trunk!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Tip of the day!

Never let two peddlers or whoever, adult or children, approach you while stopped at an intersection, gas station, etc., from both sides of your vehicle. While you're paying attention to one of them, the other will reach in and pilfer whatever is in sight, even your brand new AK47.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Generally it is a good idea to try and stay out of grabbing distance of people on mopeds or "pasolas" since this is the purse/jewelry snatcher's vehicle of choice in the DR. Be especially suspicious of two young men riding together on a pasola, of course it is common to travel this way and they aren't all criminals, but generally this is the profile, and it won't hurt you to give the pasolas their space.

And you're right Mirador, I'm not sure if it's just me or if the stoplight peddlers are getting more aggressive every day. You know it wouldn't take much for them to switch from asking for money to just taking it. It kind of unnerves me to see people that think nothing of invading your personal space like that in a situation like a stoplight where you are basically trapped for a few minutes.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Criss Colon said:
So I will add,"Gold Chains",,and Pocketbooks/Purses to your list!

Never show cash,anything of value on the street.
Never leave valuables in your car, or car's trunk!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

3 weeks ago, I was in Santo Domingo and after getting outta our taxi we had a short walk (about 50 ft) to the caribe tour bus station when a guy came up and was like i like your necklace ( Nice Gold .... NEVER have taken it off ...) and he grabbed it and i could feel the pressure on the back of my neck and I knew that he was gonna rip if off..... I yelled for a friend who was taking the luggage outta the taxi and came over and almost kicked the **** outta the guy.... this was the first time that I felt threatened or slightly scared in the DR .... I know that I shouldn't wear jewellery ... but I never take it off.... next time i'm on my way to SD I'm takin' it all off !!!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The fat man attack!

Just be careful if you take public cars and get in the front with a fat man! The trick is that there are 2 ladies in the back seat with a box in the middle so you have no choice but to go in the front. So while you are all crunched up with this fat man, he moves around as if he?s trying to get comfortable meanwhile he blocks your view with a folder or something and with the other hand he goes through your purse. The day I got the fat man attack I started fighting and yelling at him and told the driver to let me off and he did, He only got away with a pair of glasses and my pepper spray. All of the car occupants are in on the attack so be careful and only take official public cars or guaguas. :bandit:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
juanita said:
Just be careful if you take public cars and get in the front with a fat man! The trick is that there are 2 ladies in the back seat with a box in the middle so you have no choice but to go in the front. So while you are all crunched up with this fat man, he moves around as if he?s trying to get comfortable meanwhile he blocks your view with a folder or something and with the other hand he goes through your purse. The day I got the fat man attack I started fighting and yelling at him and told the driver to let me off and he did, He only got away with a pair of glasses and my pepper spray. All of the car occupants are in on the attack so be careful and only take official public cars or guaguas. :bandit:

You did not use the pepper spray?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Two idiots on a pasola

tried to rip off a friend while we were walking though town but they failed to get what they were trying to grab (a camera). We jumped into my jeepeta and I caught up with them. I rode an inch from their arses all the way down the highway with my high sounding horn blaring where they had nowhere to go. Just the joy of watching their faces was worth it all. I think my friend took a few photos of this Kodak moment.

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
just another!

last saturday I was walking in the malecon front of colonial zone, where are some restaurants in the sea side, then a guy enter in the restaurant, catch a bag of a girl dining in a table, and run away out where another guy was waiting with a.. pasola!! (50cm bike), the pasola hardly accelerate with two guys but finaly run away without problems...

I think the waiters could catch him but probably they fear he has a gun or something.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
MerengueDutchie said:
Too bad.. or he would be a pepper steak!

Just pepper spray? I finally broke down and got some CS in a little spray bottle. And I also have some carbeurator cleaner in a spray bottle as well for the nights that I walk alone.

If some F-er wants to rob me then I want to make sure he good and damn well knows he picked the wrong girl.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Ouch!

sunshine_79 said:
Just pepper spray? I finally broke down and got some CS in a little spray bottle. And I also have some carbeurator cleaner in a spray bottle as well for the nights that I walk alone.

If some F-er wants to rob me then I want to make sure he good and damn well knows he picked the wrong girl.

If you want to startle, discourage, or even injure an would-be assailant, a pressurized can of carburetor cleaner and a cigarette lighter can be turned into a mini flame thrower.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending that anyone do this due to the unpredictable nature of fuel and fire and the high probability of self-singeing.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
juanita said:
"CS in a little spray bottle" C'est quoi ca?? What is it?

CS gas is more commonly known as riot control gas. Causes every mucous membrane in the body to turn on full blast. Shortness of breath, can't see, burning sensation on unprotected skin, etc.

Smells sour.

Bad for all in tight spots unless you have respiration equipment. Sunnie... you know better. ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Pepper spray is worse than CS. People call it "pepper" when it contains the active ingredient capsicum. It is an inflammatory while CS is an irritant. The distributor chemical is different too.

Quick difference: CS is actually more mild (I've been in the CS chamber probably ten times when I was in the military....Sunnie has too). You can tolerate it. It sucks but you can do it.

Sprays with capsicum in it cannot be tolerated much because they inflame mucuse membranes no matter what. A drunk or drugged up person will still have their eyes, nose and throat swell up. I have experienced this stuff too. It is waaaaaay worse. (it was in a controlled, training situation)

Debate it if you wish but this is the straight truth.

Both work but "pepper" or Capsicum is better.

Scandall

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
TimInDR said:
CS gas is more commonly known as riot control gas. Causes every mucous membrane in the body to turn on full blast. Shortness of breath, can't see, burning sensation on unprotected skin, etc.

Smells sour.

Bad for all in tight spots unless you have respiration equipment. Sunnie... you know better. ;)

The stuff doesn't bother me too much anymore. Probably all those times in the chamber, like Scandall said, doing jumping jacks and screaming out my SSN - with no mask. Good times. I know you remember Tim, you were in the army even longer than I was.

A lot of people seem to build up a sort of immunity to gases, irritants, etc. A lot of people are stopped dead in their tracks by CS ( And I have the good kind, from France if you can believe that! I guess instead of calling it French CS, we should call it Freedom CS, right? LOL)

A lot of the people who live in Mexico are hardly bothered at all by pepper spray or mace. I have no idea why, maybe someone smarter than I can explain it to me. Pepper spray does not seem to bother the Iraqis at all either.

But regardless, I feel a lot safer with my carb cleaner. It doesn't bother me a bit to blind someone permanently if they're trying to hurt or rob me. Especially if my daughter is with me. Mama bear, you know.

One more question - someone told me that if you blind, hurt or disable an attacker here that you can be held liable for their medical bills. Is there any truth to this?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
sunshine_79 said:
The stuff doesn't bother me too much anymore. Probably all those times in the chamber, like Scandall said, doing jumping jacks and screaming out my SSN - with no mask. Good times. I know you remember Tim, you were in the army even longer than I was.

A lot of people seem to build up a sort of immunity to gases, irritants, etc. A lot of people are stopped dead in their tracks by CS ( And I have the good kind, from France if you can believe that! I guess instead of calling it French CS, we should call it Freedom CS, right? LOL)

A lot of the people who live in Mexico are hardly bothered at all by pepper spray or mace. I have no idea why, maybe someone smarter than I can explain it to me. Pepper spray does not seem to bother the Iraqis at all either.

But regardless, I feel a lot safer with my carb cleaner. It doesn't bother me a bit to blind someone permanently if they're trying to hurt or rob me. Especially if my daughter is with me. Mama bear, you know.

One more question - someone told me that if you blind, hurt or disable an attacker here that you can be held liable for their medical bills. Is there any truth to this?

Not only can some build a tolerance or be immune but some are super sensitive and can't stand it at all. Kind of like the French and soap.

If you harm a mugger you'll be a hero. Only in the states can someone try to mug you, get their *** kicked by you, then sue you for damages.

Scandall

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Scandall said:
Not only can some build a tolerance or be immune but some are super sensitive and can't stand it at all. Kind of like the French and soap.

If you harm a mugger you'll be a hero. Only in the states can someone try to mug you, get their *** kicked by you, then sue you for damages.

Scandall

You are too funny.

So I take it that the DR is not such a litigious society? Thank God for that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have Heard That Some Of The Guys That Post On DR1

Use "Pepper Spray" as a aphrodisiac! A coupla shots in each nostril and they are "Good To Go"!!

"Juanita","Sorry,I didn't know that was you!"

Now I know why I always get the front seat to myself in a "Publico"!!
I thought it was my "BO"! ("Big Organ"!) ;) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC