Maleria

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
I know that when people go on holiday to DR they have to have Hepititis A/B cant remember which one it is, and typhoid injections, and they have to take maleria tablets too, but if you are living in DR then what do u do about maleria tablets, as you cant take them for more than 2 years at a time? Do you bother with them or not?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
jellylegs2002 said:
...and they have to take maleria tablets too...
Generally it has been my experience that only Brits think this is necessary (excluding the outbreak warnings following Hurricane Jeanne in La Altagracia and Duarte provinces which have since been rescinded).

Neither the US CDC www.cdc.gov/travel

or

The Canadian PHAC www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/pub_e.html

have such warnings in place.

as with all things health related it is a personal decision which should be made in consultation with a trusted health professional.

I will not try to speak for those living in the DR but it is my belief that there are many other things which are of more concern to them than malaria.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
FireGuy said:
I will not try to speak for those living in the DR but it is my belief that there are many other things which are of more concern to them than malaria.

Gregg
She probably should be more concerned about the wild tigres.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
jellylegs2002 said:
... cant take them for more than 2 years at a time?

Oh my God. You shouldn't even THINK about taking those things for 2 months much less two years! This was debated a few months ago, and someone (I think RickToronto) pointed out that medications have become much milder in recent years, but prolonged use can still cause more damage to your body than getting Malaria and treating it on a timely basis.

For a short stay take them if it makes you more at ease.

For an extended stay it is best to avoid getting bit (choice of clothing, repellent) and have medication for treatment ready should you get it.

Do however consult a physician who has had experience with tropical medicine (probably not most GP's) for a more qualified opinion.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
agreed

yeah i agree that they probably do more harm if taken for a long time. I think i'll take them for the first few months and then see how many times ive been bitten!! Each time ive been to DR i've never been bitten, maybe they just dont like the taste of me! lets hope so!

karina

Nov 5, 2003
Hepatitis

You should be protected for Hep. A and B, you can get a combined vaccine (Twinrix). You never know what will be in your ice cubes..... This goes for all countries with water problems (potable water is scarce), not just the DR

You should also get tested for Tuberculosis (TB) IF you stay for more than 6 months. Although most aren't contagious, you can be carrying the virus without knowing it and it can surface up to 20 years later. It is just a little injection at your travel clinic upon return (don't get tested while you are still in the DR)...
We were there almost 2 years, and half of us came home infected....

Malaria isn't a big deal, unless you go in infected areas (mostly isolated places along the Haitian border, and the eastern part of the country), so the tablets are NOT recommended....