I'm talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Recently, I've been hearing more and more, mostly in US news programs such as Fox, CNN, NBC, even weather news, the use of a refrain, sometimes several times during the same program. The refrain is "I'm talking about", and it is used to lend emphasis to a statement, such as "I'm talking about real catastrophic damage", or "I'm talking about the best chops in the DR"... What's the best translation of this refrain into DR Spanish?

M

Mr.Mark

Mirador said:
Recently, I've been hearing more and more, mostly in US news programs such as Fox, CNN, NBC, even weather news, the use of a refrain, sometimes several times during the same program. The refrain is "I'm talking about", and it is used to lend emphasis to a statement, such as "I'm talking about real catastrophic damage", or "I'm talking about the best chops in the DR"... What's the best translation of this refrain into DR Spanish?

One would expect that the equivalents for this construction are "Me refiero a..." and/or "Estoy hablando de...", but at least here in the DR it is more common to hear "Estamos hablando de..." (the same construction but in 1st person plural). You can build the phrase with a singular subject, but it lacks the emphatic sense you want to convey in English and it also lacks an inclusiveness focus that the talker wants to give to his/her audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.