Other internet choices

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am in Puerto Plata. DO I have any other choice but Verizon for my internet supplier? I have looked online but as far as I can tell, I have no other option right now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No other real choices excepting satellite connectivity.... The cards available with cell phones (Orange and Verizon) are more painful than your current system...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Rats, I thought that might be the case.. I hate Verizon but I am going to be stuck with them.

Thanks

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
planner said:
Rats, I thought that might be the case.. I hate Verizon but I am going to be stuck with them.

Thanks

Darlene,
Just for interests sake .... what's your problem with Verizon?

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Carina, their packages for business are pretty expensive!

Amy, I am so tired of all of Verizon's problems with email and staying connected. It seems any given day you just do not know if you will get emails or if they are even going out!!!! Some days I get my electronic receipts other days I dont.

Many other providers are blocking email with any form of attachment originating here via Verizon... it is a nightmare some days with getting your emails. IF your business is somewhat or totally reliant for communications then email missing is a huge issue.

Anyone got experience with Tricom ADSL???

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
planner said:
Thanks Carina, their packages for business are pretty expensive!

Amy, I am so tired of all of Verizon's problems with email and staying connected. It seems any given day you just do not know if you will get emails or if they are even going out!!!! Some days I get my electronic receipts other days I dont.

Many other providers are blocking email with any form of attachment originating here via Verizon... it is a nightmare some days with getting your emails. IF your business is somewhat or totally reliant for communications then email missing is a huge issue.

Anyone got experience with Tricom ADSL???

Darlene - I use one of the Verizon business packages and I've NEVER had a problem ..... in fact I posted about what a pleasure it was to work with them, in particular a rep named Marcos Martinez ..... which package do you use?
Let me know if you want his number (Spanish only) he is extremely helpful and will tell you upfront if what you want is possible or not, or where the problem is.

How strange ..... I know what you mean by having your business 100% reliant on communications as my business is the same. 'Going to work' for me means being connected to the internet. My office is my computer lol. And, I went from internet cafes (RDS 1000's per week) to Orange wireless (RDS 2000-odd per month) to the plan with Verizon (RDS 1600 per month as I got it on Special) and have never been happier!!

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. what do you mean "staying connected"? I only get disconnected if the power goes out (luckily in my area it seldom happens) or if I disconnect the cabel from my laptop, otherwise I have 24hr connectivity.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI Amy, thanks for the offer and info. I've had problems for months, on and off. Carina has some of the same issues as well! Some days we just don't get all our emails....

Maybe it is the Puerto Plata area...

I have no electricity issues where I am, rarely are we down.

Looks like I will have to stay with what I have....

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Not usually a good idea to use the verizon email address that comes with the service for anything serious, there are alot of other email services out there you can use with your verizon dsl.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
planner said:
HI Amy, thanks for the offer and info. I've had problems for months, on and off. Carina has some of the same issues as well! Some days we just don't get all our emails....

Maybe it is the Puerto Plata area...

I have no electricity issues where I am, rarely are we down.

Looks like I will have to stay with what I have....

Why do you use Verizon for email? What about Gmail or similar?

Or...

Register a domain name that the register will host and run your emails through. Also use their DNS mail server for outgoing mail.

Problem solved.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Robert said:
Why do you use Verizon for email? What about Gmail or similar?

Or...

Register a domain name that the register will host and run your emails through. Also use their DNS mail server for outgoing mail.

Problem solved.

I just spoke with Darlene .... that may solve the Email problem (I agree, I avoid a verizon Email addy like the plague) but it won't solve the connectivity problem in the area .....

Planner - please let us know how it turns out.

Stay well,
Amy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
planner said:

That sure is true... And many US providers simply do not want to talk to you these days if you're trying to do an internet transaction with a verizon isp. Glad we have two systems...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The one for 2.750 at Tricom is simular to the Verizon for 2.900, so prices are about the same.

Have no idea how the service work though, and where it works.. ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Robert said:
Stay with Verizon, it's better than Tricom.

Just change how you handle emails.

Don't listen to Robert. He knows nothing about the internet. Dolores has to boot up his computer for him every morning.

Scandall

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Scandall said:
Don't listen to Robert. He knows nothing about the internet. Dolores has to boot up his computer for him every morning.

Scandall

LMAO - who would have guessed?

But, I second that. People that I know with the Tricom service say it's pretty bad.

Stay well,
Amy

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
amy2761 said:
LMAO - who would have guessed?

But, I second that. People that I know with the Tricom service say it's pretty bad.

Stay well,
Amy

I heard the same about Aster from a few people. But I have one buddy who says it's the best thing since Mofongo. Who knows?

My Verizon service is excellent (DSL) but I'm sure there are cheaper options. Just not as reliable.

Scandall

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Curious to know what others are paying for Verizon Internet. I signed up when the dollar was around 45 to 1 and now pay 2600 per month for 500 minutes of local calling and internet service DSL. Yet, I see where they are advertising the same service for 1400 pesos.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Snuffy said:
Curious to know what others are paying for Verizon Internet. I signed up when the dollar was around 45 to 1 and now pay 2600 per month for 500 minutes of local calling and internet service DSL. Yet, I see where they are advertising the same service for 1400 pesos.

That's what I pay too.

Scandall