Question on Visa

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi Fabio Guzman,

I have a question about Visas. My fiancee has been issued a Vistor's Visa to the US. He does not plan on using it, and the American Consulate is calling him to come to get his Passport stamped.

I am from Cda, and we are getting married in February 2006, and then I will be sponsoring him to come to Cda.

Is it best for him to get the stamp on his passport for the US, but not use the Visa, or does it make a difference at all? Willl it hinder him in anyway for getting it and not using it?

He was told that if he DOESN'T go get the stamp on his passprt, then it will give him a "black mark" against him, and make it more difficult for him to come to Cda.

Could you help me on this, as I'm not sure on the different immigration laws, and what is frowned upon, and what is considered a bonus to get his Cdn Visa faster, with out hassels.

Thanks for any suggestions....
Lisa

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I could be wrong but this sounds like a question for a Canadian Lawyer that specializes in Canadian Immigration Law. Mr. Guzman is a Dominican Lawyer.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If he was one of the 1% approved for a US Visa the GET THE VISA in the passport. If not for any other reason, it is often a lot easier to fly to Canada via the US then finding non-stop flights. No visa- he cannot connect in the USA, period.

The Canadian Immigration people won't give a whit about him having it or not (and since we are arguing with the US over softwood lumber I doubt they much care what the US thinks) and they certainly would not know he was eligible and didn't get it, and if you are sponsoring him under the family class it is immaterial.

But if it is a multiple entry visa it allows connections like I said and if he gets to Canada makes going to the US for tourism a whole lot easier. Just being a landed immigrant is not enough to go to the US now, and Domincans are in the not enough category.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ricktoronto said:
If he was one of the 1% approved for a US Visa the GET THE VISA in the passport. If not for any other reason, it is often a lot easier to fly to Canada via the US then finding non-stop flights. No visa- he cannot connect in the USA, period.
It may be a visa with a one time entry, and have an expiry date prior to the time he will be able to get his Canadian visa.

I'm not sure of the circumstances of him getting the US visa (business, travel, etc) and how Canadian immigration would react. It's a question for an expert in Canadian Immigration Law.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Muchas Gracias

rellosk said:
It may be a visa with a one time entry, and have an expiry date prior to the time he will be able to get his Canadian visa.

I'm not sure of the circumstances of him getting the US visa (business, travel, etc) and how Canadian immigration would react. It's a question for an expert in Canadian Immigration Law.

It is a Visa with an expiry date, and he's not plannin gon using it, but believes it will help him get the Cdn Visa faster?! I'm not sure about this.

Thanks for all your input, keep it coming!
Lisa

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:

Why on Earth would it matter to us, really? People have visas or they don't, and that is just a simple fact. Who knows maybe they'd think him a bit more credible, I dount it, but you can be sure it won't be an impediment to his eligibility which has nothing to do with visas or not and everything to do with the family class sponsorship requirements - a relationship that isn't phony and income over the LICO.

And to baileyboy: he isn't asking for a Canadian visa he's asking to immigrate sponsored by you - there is a big diffference. I'd say based on what you think you are doing, and these questions, you need to engage a lawyer in Canada who does only immigration matters and stay away from the so called consultants - they cost as much or more and are not lawyers.