Is the D.R. above sea level???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I am just curious, seeing what happened here in New Orleans and how the city is below sea level. Imagine the carribean where its 100% surrounded by sea.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
aegap said:
:glasses: Wouldn't it be submerged if it were under sea level?

I would think so, thats what I dont get. Thats the reason why the hurricane affected New Orleans so much because they say the city is below sea level.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
As Shown

Jozee74 said:
I would think so, thats what I dont get. Thats the reason why the hurricane affected New Orleans so much because they say the city is below sea level.

As shown on the news, most of New Orleans is now covered with water. This city is a bowl, protected by levee's, Kind of like your cereal bowl in a sink full of water. As long as the water level is lower than the edges, it stays dry, but if you crack the edge( or in this case a levee) the water pours in, until levels are equal.

Think of a Dike in Holland, going. Same problem

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
aegap said:
Wouldn't it be submerged if it were under sea level? :glasses: :eek:

Not if you build dykes ;) , I'm writing this below sea-level, and nope, no water in the streets.
In the DR, isn't Lago Enriquillo below sea-level though?

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
bienamor said:
As shown on the news, most of New Orleans is now covered with water. This city is a bowl, protected by levee's, Kind of like your cereal bowl in a sink full of water. As long as the water level is lower than the edges, it stays dry, but if you crack the edge( or in this case a levee) the water pours in, until levels are equal.

Think of a Dike in Holland, going. Same problem

OK now I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.