AA emergency landing in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Un avi?n con destino a la ciudad de New York, Estados Unidos, con 263 pasajeros a bordo tuvo que retornar y aterrizar de emergencia en el Aeropuerto Internacional Cibao.

Luego de 45 minutos de vuelo el aparato present? fallas con presencia de humo, olores y vibraciones en una de las turbinas.

Al detectar el fallo, el piloto comunic? la situaci?n a la Torre de Control. Pese al p?nico que vivieron tripulantes y viajeros de American Airlines, todos salieron ilesos.

Seg?n el relacionista p?blico del Aeropuerto Cibao, Carlos Manuel Estrella, el vuelo sali? a las 10:05 de la ma?ana, pero debi? retornar a las 11:30.

?El piloto comunic? a la Torre los problemas que ten?a en una turbina y tom? la decisi?n de retornar?, adujo.

La matr?cula del avi?n es la N3075A, Bus A300 y el vuelo es el 1774.

La nave aterriz? sin ninguna novedad y se activaron los servicios de ayuda mutua.

La Defensa Civil envi? cuatro unidades del Comit? de Emergencia, entre ellas dos ambulancias, dos camionetas y 30 voluntarios.

Adem?s participaron miembros de los cuerpos de bomberos de Santiago, Moca, La Vega, Licey al Medio y Tamboril.

Por espacio de casi una hora tuvieron que permanecer los organismos de socorro, en espera del aterrizaje, que termin? sin contratiempos. Ayer a media tarde los pasajeros fueron chequeados para viajar nuevamente con destino a Nueva York, a las 10:00 de la noche.

Estrella inform? que la l?nea a?rea atendi? a los pasajeros con todo lo necesario para permanecer en la terminal. En las primeras horas de la noche determinar?an si se utiliza la misma aeronave reparada u otra.

Reporteros de El Caribe, observaron en la tarde de ayer a miembros de la tripulaci?n mientras paseaban por los pasillos exteriores del aeropuerto.

Algunos pasajeros consultados dijeron que oraron para que todo saliera bien.

I was on that flight :( I have to say when you get 45 minutes flying in a state of emergency you put a lot of lifes other problems in perspective. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the entire flight crew of AA 1774 for a well done proffesional job. And a special thanks to the staff at the airport bar in Santiago for keeping my glass full after my landing ;)
Badpiece

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Glad everything went ok for you

badpiece33 said:
I was on that flight :( I have to say when you get 45 minutes flying in a state of emergency you put a lot of lifes other problems in perspective. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the entire flight crew of AA 1774 for a well done proffesional job. And a special thanks to the staff at the airport bar in Santiago for keeping my glass full after my landing ;)
Badpiece

Glad you made it back safely!

Jun 5, 2004
Ok........ Lets Stop And Think

American Airlines uses all Airbuses A300 between New York and the Dominican Republic except for Puerto Plata and Punta Cana. AA has been flying to the DR for about 30 years and I would like to know if anyone knows or can do research on it. WHEN HAS AA CHANGED THEIR AIRCRAFTS TO FLY TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC? (Oh! I forgot they did change it once, when AA 587 fell and they had to put that flight back on service because they were loosing money.) (Note:I am note saying that American Airlines never changed their planes I would just like to know when and what types of planes they were.) We have had enough with them. For that reason I propose something. Lets write letters to American Airlines and let them know how bad is the Carribean market felling about their treatment and lets let them know that the Dominican community will not be flying with them if they dont do something about it.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
aviastar said:
Un avi?n con destino a la ciudad de New York, Estados Unidos, con 263 pasajeros a bordo tuvo que retornar y aterrizar de emergencia en el Aeropuerto Internacional Cibao.

Luego de 45 minutos de vuelo el aparato present? fallas con presencia de humo, olores y vibraciones en una de las turbinas.

Al detectar el fallo, el piloto comunic? la situaci?n a la Torre de Control. Pese al p?nico que vivieron tripulantes y viajeros de American Airlines, todos salieron ilesos.

Seg?n el relacionista p?blico del Aeropuerto Cibao, Carlos Manuel Estrella, el vuelo sali? a las 10:05 de la ma?ana, pero debi? retornar a las 11:30.

?El piloto comunic? a la Torre los problemas que ten?a en una turbina y tom? la decisi?n de retornar?, adujo.

La matr?cula del avi?n es la N3075A, Bus A300 y el vuelo es el 1774.

La nave aterriz? sin ninguna novedad y se activaron los servicios de ayuda mutua.

La Defensa Civil envi? cuatro unidades del Comit? de Emergencia, entre ellas dos ambulancias, dos camionetas y 30 voluntarios.

Adem?s participaron miembros de los cuerpos de bomberos de Santiago, Moca, La Vega, Licey al Medio y Tamboril.

Por espacio de casi una hora tuvieron que permanecer los organismos de socorro, en espera del aterrizaje, que termin? sin contratiempos. Ayer a media tarde los pasajeros fueron chequeados para viajar nuevamente con destino a Nueva York, a las 10:00 de la noche.

Estrella inform? que la l?nea a?rea atendi? a los pasajeros con todo lo necesario para permanecer en la terminal. En las primeras horas de la noche determinar?an si se utiliza la misma aeronave reparada u otra.

Reporteros de El Caribe, observaron en la tarde de ayer a miembros de la tripulaci?n mientras paseaban por los pasillos exteriores del aeropuerto.

Algunos pasajeros consultados dijeron que oraron para que todo saliera bien.

gracias a dios que no le pasaron nada a los pasajero de ese vuelo ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
apdomini100max said:
American Airlines uses all Airbuses A300 between New York and the Dominican Republic except for Puerto Plata and Punta Cana. AA has been flying to the DR for about 30 years and I would like to know if anyone knows or can do research on it. WHEN HAS AA CHANGED THEIR AIRCRAFTS TO FLY TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC? (Oh! I forgot they did change it once, when AA 587 fell and they had to put that flight back on service because they were loosing money.) (Note:I am note saying that American Airlines never changed their planes I would just like to know when and what types of planes they were.) We have had enough with them. For that reason I propose something. Lets write letters to American Airlines and let them know how bad is the Carribean market felling about their treatment and lets let them know that the Dominican community will not be flying with them if they dont do something about it.

You assume that AA operates under the knowledge this aircraft is unsafe and they have a corporate strategy to use it knowing the danger only for the DR market, not caring about the crew or passengers at all.

So if the Dominican market according to this looney proposal chooses not to fly AA because of this uninformed and groundless hypothesis, then they will spend a lot of time in the DR or the USA as the other handful of flights a day from all the other airlines combined sure won't fill the gap. They also fly the 757 to the DR quite a lot. And the A300 to other locations such as Managua and Lima as well. The A300 has 257 seats and a dozen flights a day, so start looking for 3,000 seats of capacity on CO's one flight a day, or the few other non-charters.

You haven't even formed a cogent argument for doing other than researching what planes they used to use - or what "we've had enough" of.

And you will need to find jobs for all the FTZ workers who won't have anything to do when the TONS of frieght capacity (which is why they use the A300 so much to begin with) is lost between the USA and the DR. The 757 or MD-80 can't handle that with typical DR luggage loads.

They had a mechanical which is not all that unheard of and safely returned to the airport. That is what they are supposed to do and these events are atypical for every airline, AA included which is a testament to the ability to maintain a fleet of what may be one of the most complicated machines in existence.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Very good post

ricktoronto said:
You assume that AA operates under the knowledge this aircraft is unsafe and they have a corporate strategy to use it knowing the danger only for the DR market, not caring about the crew or passengers at all.

So if the Dominican market according to this looney proposal chooses not to fly AA because of this uninformed and groundless hypothesis, then they will spend a lot of time in the DR or the USA as the other handful of flights a day from all the other airlines combined sure won't fill the gap. They also fly the 757 to the DR quite a lot. And the A300 to other locations such as Managua and Lima as well. The A300 has 257 seats and a dozen flights a day, so start looking for 3,000 seats of capacity on CO's one flight a day, or the few other non-charters.

You haven't even formed a cogent argument for doing other than researching what planes they used to use - or what "we've had enough" of.

And you will need to find jobs for all the FTZ workers who won't have anything to do when the TONS of frieght capacity (which is why they use the A300 so much to begin with) is lost between the USA and the DR. The 757 or MD-80 can't handle that with typical DR luggage loads.

They had a mechanical which is not all that unheard of and safely returned to the airport. That is what they are supposed to do and these events are atypical for every airline, AA included which is a testament to the ability to maintain a fleet of what may be one of the most complicated machines in existence.

You said it all! American Airlines is a very good airline and in no way shape or form are they going to put a dangerous plane in the air to the Dominican Republic or Tinbuktu for that matter! They smelled a burning odor in the cockpit and did the truly sensible thing. They turned around, landed and investigated the incident. The flight 587 which used an A300-600 can be blamed on a multitude of things from pilot error for getting into a wake turbulence from a recently departing 747-400 to a tail problem that might have manifested itself at the Airbus plant in France where it was built.

Jun 5, 2004
Please Email This To As Many People As Possible

Hello! and thanks for taking the time to read this email. The purpose of this email is to inform everyone about the actions of American Airlines. American along with the OneWorld alliance is the biggest airline in the world. The airline serves more than 250 destinations worldwide. As you may remember American was one of the greatest airlines in the ?70?s and the ?80?s, now things have changed. The airbuses A300 have been found to have a high rate of malfunctional problems and for that same reason many countries have banned those types of aircrafts to land in their countries. AA uses the A300 to fly to The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Costa Rica, Mexico and many other Caribbean/Latin American routes. These planes are very old, they have more than 25 years in service. Most of the times the technicians do not give the proper maintenance to these planes. One great example is the tragic event that happened with AA587. The latest event happened on August 30th where a plane after flying for 45 minutes had to do an emergency landing (link to article available in Spanish below). This event could have been prevented by a good check of the aircraft. American Airlines is treating passangers who fly to the Carribean and Latin America in an unjust way. For that reason lets ask American Airlines better treatmeant and better aircrafts to fly to Latin America. We cannot permit another incident to happen to take action on this. American Airlines must know that people are concerned about their old A300 aircrafts flying and that we will not permit this. Below are the phone numbers, adress and email adress so that we can make our voice be heard. Please contact American Airlines and let them know that we are not satisfy with the type of service they are offering. We should as of them to publish a report about all of their A300 and their maintenience. Below is a sample email you can send American if you do not wish to write to them. If you do not wish to take any actions, please give it a second though and always remember that they are many other airlines such as continental, Delta and many others who do not use old planes and offer much better service. Thanks for your cooperation and PLEASE PASS THIS EMAIL ON TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!

I can be contacted at: Dominicanisimo05@aol.com

SAMPLE Email:

Hello! The porpouse of this email is to inform American Airlines of how unsatisfied the public is with the type of service the arline is offering. The quality if service been offered to the Carribean and Latin America is mediocre. The quality and quantity of the food has dramatically decreased. There are no pillows on the aircrafts, alot of flights are very delayed. American is flying with A300 planes which have been banned from flying into some European countries because of the many problems they have. We would like for American Airlines to publish a report about all of their A300?s and the maintenance that are being done to them. These planes are very old and we would not like to see another disaster like the one which happened with flight 587. On August 30th an A300 (AA1774) from STI to JFK had to make an emergency landing for a problem which could have been resolved before take off if proper inspection was done. We would like to know what is American Airlines waiting for to purchase new aircrafts and put the ones currently flying out of service? The Carribean and Latin American communities which fly with AA are very dissatisfied with the service and we hope that action is taken as soon as possible. Thank You.

Hola! Gracias por leer este mensaje. El proposito de este mensaje es informar a todo el mundo sobre las acciones de la aereolinea American Airlines. American Airlines con su allianza OneWorld es la aereolinea mas grande del mundo. AA prove servicios a mas de 250 ciudades en el mundo. Como usted podra recordar el servicio de AA era ejemplar en la decada de los 70 y 80, ahora todo eso ha cambiado. Los aviones A300 han sido encontrados con graves defectos y por esa razon mucos paises Europeos han prohibido que esos aviones aterrizen en sus paises. AA usa los A300 para viajar a La Republica Dominicana, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Haiti, Costa Rica entre otros paises de Latino America y el Caribe. Estos aviones tienen mas de 25 a?os operando y las mayoria de las veces los tecnicos no les dan el mantenimiento requerido. Un ejemplo es el tragico evento que paso con el vuelo 587. El 30 de Agosto el vuelo 1774 desde Santiago RD a Nueva York despues de 45 minutis de estar en el aire tuvo que retornar de emergencia a Santiago por un problema que si se le hubiera dado el mantenimiento requerido esto no hubiera pasado (articulo sobre el aterizaje de emergencia debajo.) AA no le esta dando el servicio debido a los pasajeros que viajan al Caribe y a Latino America. Por esa razon vamos a unirnos y a pedirles a AA major serivicio a sus naves e pasajeros. El Caribe y Latino America necesita naves nuevas y no los A300 que ya son viejos y se deberian sacar de servicio. Dejemoles saber que nosotros no vamos a permitir esto. En este email esta los telefonos de AA, su dirrecion y su dirrecion electronica. Porfavor digale a AA que no lo vamos a permitir. Debemos pedirle a AA que haga un reporte detallado sobre todos sus A300 incluyendo que tiempo tiene volando. Si usted no desea tomar ninguna accion porfavor recuerde que AA no es la unica linea que viaja al Caribe y a Latino America. Delta, Continental y muchas otras lineas ofrecen gran servicio en aviones que no son viejos. Gracias Por Su Cooperation y PORFAVOR PASE ESTE EMAIL A LA MAYOR CANTIDAD DE PERSONAS QUE PUEDA.

Me Pueden contactar en: Dominicanisimo05@aol.com

American Airlines? Toll Free Numbers/Numeros Telefonicos De American Airlines:
(800) 433 - 7300 (English/Ingles) (800) 633 - 3711 (Spanish/Espa?ol)

American Airlines? mailing adress/ Dirrecion De AA Por Correo :
American Airlines Customer Relations
P.O. Box 619612 MD 2400
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9612

Link to American?s Email adress for complaints/Dirrecion Electronica de AA para quejas: https://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailCustomerRelations.jhtml?_requestid=730802

Link to HOY newspaper article about emergency landing/Dirrecion a el Periodico Hoy sobre el afterimage de emergencia: http://hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=52861

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It never ceases to amaze me what the human brain is able postulate without any facts to support it.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
apdomini100max said:
Hello! and thanks for taking the time to read this email. The purpose of this email is to inform everyone about the actions of American Airlines.

You should have prefaced it with that you are a panic button pushing nimrod with no facts to support groundless and maybe libelous allegations. What a maroon.

If it was spelled correctly with decent grammar people might think about it.

I doubt that anyone will mail one of these.

Jun 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
You should have prefaced it with that you are a panic button pushing nimrod with no facts to support groundless and maybe libelous allegations. What a maroon.

If it was spelled correctly with decent grammar people might think about it.

I doubt that anyone will mail one of these.

CADA CABEZA ES UN MUNDO. Just because you dont agree with the idea(because your an AA lover) doesnt mean that other people might not like it. If teh grammar is so bad how come you dont write it?

Apr 26, 2002
apdomini100max said:
The airbuses A300 have been found to have a high rate of malfunctional problems and for that same reason many countries have banned those types of aircrafts to land in their countries ... Most of the times the technicians do not give the proper maintenance to these planes.
If you would be so kind as to name the countries that do not allow the A300 to land - or even just two countries since your reference was plural.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
apdomini100max said:
CADA CABEZA ES UN MUNDO. Just because you dont agree with the idea(because your an AA lover) doesnt mean that other people might not like it. If teh grammar is so bad how come you dont write it?

I wouldn't write it because it is a really, really stupid and pointless improperly explained and groundles waste of time and it makes you look like even more of a maroon than you might be, though not too far off.

Note courtesy of Dominican Scotty - I mean the word maroon, courtesy of Bugs Bunny, Linguist. As follows.

What a maroon! What an ignoranimous!

Occasionally I see someone online make a particular insulting comment: "What a maroon!" When I am particularly lucky, I will see another person put forth an indignant defense (thanks to Dan of Tinyblog for the illustrative example) of the term "Maroon". Maroons, we are reminded, were free blacks who formed communities throughout the Carribean and Americas, most notably in the Great Dismal Swamp and Florida. These people were bravely attempting to set up a parallel existance to antebellum American society! They fought in the Seminole War, the only Indian war that ended without a peace treaty! How can we use the term "Maroon" as an insult? The problem is that while all these things are true, they have very little relevance to someone quoting Bugs Bunny mangling the English language. It's a case study in how associations are not always apparent to one's audience. Language drifts.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
If you would be so kind as to name the countries that do not allow the A300 to land - or even just two countries since your reference was plural.

Probably North Korea and the Seychelles due to not wanting it to or not fitting the airport.

Amended to add - this has been crossposted on flyertalk.com in the AA forum. You think he's getting it bad here, read there.

They show an interesting link to photos of a DHL A300 that was hit by a surface to air missle in Iraq and shrugged it off and landed normally. Pretty good performance one would have to say.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Maroons, we are reminded, were free blacks who formed communities throughout the Carribean and Americas, most notably in the Great Dismal Swamp and Florida. These people were bravely attempting to set up a parallel existance to antebellum American society! They fought in the Seminole War, the only Indian war that ended without a peace treaty!QUOTE]

The 'cimarrones' became 'seminoles' (English pronounciation of cimarrones). 'Cimarr?n' is a Spanish word for 'wild, savage, fugitive'. Tainos and Arawaks and other native people of the Carribean fled slavery by hiding in the wilderness, and were called 'Cimarrones' by the Spanish Conquistadores. Some fled as far as the swamps of South Florida, the ancestors of the 'Seminoles'.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
And apdomini100max is still a maroon. And now a laughingstock among thousands of other frequent flyers.

Flakko

Dec 5, 2003
The first time I flew, was on an AA MD-11, back in 1996, I know they used it for the route SDQ-JFK for a while, the flight used to depart around 1-2pm I think. Other than that they almost always use the A300.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Check your facts

apdomini100max said:
These planes are very old, they have more than 25 years in service.

Don't mean to ridicule you or anything but the A300 is not that old compared to DC9s and MD80s and some older generation 737s that are still flying today.

From airliners.net
The A300-600 was further developed into the longer range A300-600R, its extended range courtesy of a fuel trim tank in the tailplane and higher maximum takeoff weights. First flight was on December 9 1987, first delivery was April 20 1988 (to American Airlines).

So it's only been 17 years since it started service.

Jun 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
And apdomini100max is still a maroon. And now a laughingstock among thousands of other frequent flyers.

Instead of being childish and calling people names just GET A LIFE!!! please y si vamos a ver u probably more maroon than me porque seras negro prieto y feo and I can assure you im not. El que no sabe es como el que no ve lo mas grande en la vida es ser ignarante. I though that in the DR1 community you could have said what you felt and not be offended by ignorants/idiots but I guess its different.

El Tiburon

Jul 13, 2005
Ricky,

If the guy doesn't have a clue, then why do you persist to entertain his foolishness?

Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.