Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning:

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Warning:

I hadn't seen anything about this particular danger posted here before, but let me warn all that wear a cell phone clipped to their belt, don't let anyone get too close to you. I was walking down the street the other day when a motoconcho driver pulled around behind me, and taking advantage of the fact that my hands were full, reached out and snatched the cell phone right off my belt then sped off before I could react. Fortunately I was able to get the cell phone deactivated immediately but the thief will just go get the chip replaced whereas I had to get a new cell phone.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never Hurts To Remind People !

So I will add,"Gold Chains",,and Pocketbooks/Purses to your list!

Never show cash,anything of value on the street.
    Never leave valuables in your car, or car's trunk!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip of the day!

Never let two peddlers or whoever, adult or children, approach you while stopped at an intersection, gas station, etc., from both sides of your vehicle. While you're paying attention to one of them, the other will reach in and pilfer whatever is in sight, even your brand new AK47.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally it is a good idea to try and stay out of grabbing distance of people on mopeds or "pasolas" since this is the purse/jewelry snatcher's vehicle of choice in the DR. Be especially suspicious of two young men riding together on a pasola, of course it is common to travel this way and they aren't all criminals, but generally this is the profile, and it won't hurt you to give the pasolas their space.

And you're right Mirador, I'm not sure if it's just me or if the stoplight peddlers are getting more aggressive every day. You know it wouldn't take much for them to switch from asking for money to just taking it. It kind of unnerves me to see people that think nothing of invading your personal space like that in a situation like a stoplight where you are basically trapped for a few minutes.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    So I will add,"Gold Chains",,and Pocketbooks/Purses to your list!

Never show cash,anything of value on the street.
    Never leave valuables in your car, or car's trunk!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    3 weeks ago, I was in Santo Domingo and after getting outta our taxi we had a short walk (about 50 ft) to the caribe tour bus station when a guy came up and was like i like your necklace ( Nice Gold .... NEVER have taken it off ...) and he grabbed it and i could feel the pressure on the back of my neck and I knew that he was gonna rip if off..... I yelled for a friend who was taking the luggage outta the taxi and came over and almost kicked the **** outta the guy.... this was the first time that I felt threatened or slightly scared in the DR .... I know that I shouldn't wear jewellery ... but I never take it off.... next time i'm on my way to SD I'm takin' it all off !!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The fat man attack!

Just be careful if you take public cars and get in the front with a fat man! The trick is that there are 2 ladies in the back seat with a box in the middle so you have no choice but to go in the front. So while you are all crunched up with this fat man, he moves around as if hes trying to get comfortable meanwhile he blocks your view with a folder or something and with the other hand he goes through your purse. The day I got the fat man attack I started fighting and yelling at him and told the driver to let me off and he did, He only got away with a pair of glasses and my pepper spray. All of the car occupants are in on the attack so be careful and only take official public cars or guaguas.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juanita
    Just be careful if you take public cars and get in the front with a fat man! The trick is that there are 2 ladies in the back seat with a box in the middle so you have no choice but to go in the front. So while you are all crunched up with this fat man, he moves around as if hes trying to get comfortable meanwhile he blocks your view with a folder or something and with the other hand he goes through your purse. The day I got the fat man attack I started fighting and yelling at him and told the driver to let me off and he did, He only got away with a pair of glasses and my pepper spray. All of the car occupants are in on the attack so be careful and only take official public cars or guaguas.
    You did not use the pepper spray?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two idiots on a pasola

tried to rip off a friend while we were walking though town but they failed to get what they were trying to grab (a camera). We jumped into my jeepeta and I caught up with them. I rode an inch from their arses all the way down the highway with my high sounding horn blaring where they had nowhere to go. Just the joy of watching their faces was worth it all. I think my friend took a few photos of this Kodak moment.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

just another!

last saturday I was walking in the malecon front of colonial zone, where are some restaurants in the sea side, then a guy enter in the restaurant, catch a bag of a girl dining in a table, and run away out where another guy was waiting with a.. pasola!! (50cm bike), the pasola hardly accelerate with two guys but finaly run away without problems...

I think the waiters could catch him but probably they fear he has a gun or something.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MerengueDutchie
    You did not use the pepper spray?
    The fat man's harm was over me so I could not reach for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast