Crazy rumor I just heard, Please say it aint so...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I was told this morning by an employee that this week there will be a new law going into effect similar to the one in Mexico City making it legal to only drive your car on "odd" or "even" days depending on the license plate number.

Does anyone know if this is true? Imean, I know there are some dumb@sses in government, but seriously now...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
MrMike said:
I was told this morning by an employee that this week there will be a new law going into effect similar to the one in Mexico City making it legal to only drive your car on "odd" or "even" days depending on the license plate number.

Does anyone know if this is true? Imean, I know there are some dumb@sses in government, but seriously now...

www.listindiario.com.do

Yup.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Yea, they keep giving us 'incentives' to stay here hu? :tired:

Next thing you know, by law, we'll only be allowed to have power for 3 hours a day, and only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays ...

How come the people have to pay if it was the government that caused the problems? Who said life was fair?!?!

Stay well,
Amy

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Well the law in Mexico City was supposed to control pollution, but since everyone bought a beater car to drive on off-days it just made the problem worse, the only winners are the police who pull over anyone who doesn't make it home by midnight and slaps them with a fine. (I hear it's a big one too)

I think here in the DR it is going to result in alot of stolen license plates as well. That is assuming it is enforced at all after the first couple of weeks.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
MrMike said:
I think here in the DR it is going to result in alot of stolen license plates as well. That is assuming it is enforced at all after the first couple of weeks.

Yea, stolen license plates .... if you look at it correctly it's a business opportunity, not entirely legal but we do what we need to get by ;)

Stay well,
Amy

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
This will be one big mess! I was just in the bank and 4 out of 10 clients were asking what are "odd and even" numbers! Nice! :tired:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
amy2761 said:
Yea, stolen license plates .... if you look at it correctly it's a business opportunity, not entirely legal but we do what we need to get by ;)

Stay well,
Amy

If there's a place to find them, it would be in the flea market held every Sunday morning under the Luperon Ave bridge in the capital. They sell everything there, including people...

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
juanita said:
This will be one big mess! I was just in the bank and 4 out of 10 clients were asking what are "odd and even" numbers! Nice! :tired:

LMAO, you gotta remember that there's a large amount of people driving in this country that don't even know which way 'left' or 'right' is, these are taxi and moto drivers, I mean, this is their JOB!!!!

Stay well,
Amy

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
amy2761 said:
LMAO, you gotta remember that there's a large amount of people driving in this country that don't even know which way 'left' or 'right' is, these are taxi and moto drivers, I mean, this is their JOB!!!!

Stay well,
Amy

Does this apply to motorcycles too? Man, I hope not.

Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This Is Just ANOTHER "Kneejerk" Dominican Response To A "Longterm" Problem

And don't bet on this one being implemented anyway!
It is only proposed for one day a week.Either Wed. or Thurs. depending on the final digit of your lisence plate.
Monday they will announce just who will enforce the new "Law"!
"I Love It!" CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is quite absurd.
I had heard it was to be applied to public transport vehicles only, but, clearly, it applies to all of us.
What a crock of shyte.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky said:
This is quite absurd.
I had heard it was to be applied to public transport vehicles only, but, clearly, it applies to all of us.
What a crock of shyte.

I am having flashbacks to the "Carter Malaise".

"Daddy, why is the line so long for the gas station? Why is everybody fighting."

"Democrats, Son. Democrats."

Scandall

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Motoconchos

I think they are mistaken but headed in the right direction with this law. The law should alternate between odd and even the number of farm animals allowed on the back of a motoconcho. For example, on even days they will need to bring along a chicken when transporting a pig.

MrMike said:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Technology is....

amy2761 said:

Stay well,
Amy

going to correct that problem very shortly. I know that police departments in the states and probably Canada as well as many European countries have the technology to point a lazer beam at the plate of a suspected car. There is a computer chip placed inside the plate that returns all of the information regarding that car as to what it is and who owns it as well as if there is anything illegal about it. Amazing but true, that a cop can now just point and click when he sees your car.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
DominicanScotty said:
going to correct that problem very shortly. I know that police departments in the states and probably Canada as well as many European countries have the technology to point a lazer beam at the plate of a suspected car. There is a computer chip placed inside the plate that returns all of the information regarding that car as to what it is and who owns it as well as if there is anything illegal about it. Amazing but true, that a cop can now just point and click when he sees your car.

The technology exists but is not being used. The ACLU would go nuts.

The DR police system is not even computerized yet. If you commit a crime in Santiago one day and then a week later you do the same in the Capital, they have no way of knowing that you are a repeat offender. There is no infrastructure for the sharing of information. Sad but true.

We are decades behind.

Scandall

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
True, true, true....

Scandall said:
The technology exists but is not being used. The ACLU would go nuts.

The DR police system is not even computerized yet. If you commit a crime in Santiago one day and then a week later you do the same in the Capital, they have no way of knowing that you are a repeat offender. There is no infrastructure for the sharing of information. Sad but true.

We are decades behind.

Scandall

I was simply raising the fact that the technology exists.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
jstnorv05 said:
I think they are mistaken but headed in the right direction with this law. The law should alternate between odd and even the number of farm animals allowed on the back of a motoconcho. For example, on even days they will need to bring along a chicken when transporting a pig.

And to save precious bandwidth, we should only post in threads relating to Sankies on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
MrMike said:
And to save precious bandwidth, we should only post in threads relating to Sankies on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Not sure what the subject is but I vote for that and limited to once per month. :laugh:

Ok carry on. ;)