Tarifa - Edesur

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Maybe someone can shed some light on an issue that i have with my electricity hookup.

I moved into a new apartment in Naco, Santo Domingo almost 2 months ago. I am the first person to live in this apartment. I went to the Edesur in order to get my lights connected. It took a few extra days since this was a new service contract. No issues at this point.

Ok, then came the first bill for a small two bedroom apartment. The bill came in around 7K pesos for 739 Kwh of consumption. I paid it thinking there must have been some additional hookup charge or something abnormal. My latest bill arrived about thre weeks ago at 8K pesos for 822 Kwh of consumption.

This is what i discovered and where I am lost - They have me attached to a group called 'Tarifa: BTD'. I was told they put me in this group because of the construction design/breaker installed. The rates from this group are higher than a standard group. They mentioned that I should be in a group called 'BTS1', which would make my bill this month go from 8k to around 4k. That sounds about right. So, I asked the next logical question. How can I get moved into this group? I asked if I could just update the breaker, if that was the issue. They are in the process of doing an 'investigation' and will advise me.

Signed,
Another day in the DR :)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Try to get your consumption

down under 700Kwh/mo, you will be in a much lower priced catagory.

I would expect your bill to be around 3500-5000 if you get your consumption around the 650kwh/mo level.

The kwh/mo you are consuming are VERY high for a 2 bedroom apartment, unless you are running AC's fulltime, something is wrong.

Try turning off the water heater when you are not going to take a shower and replacing your lightbulbs with low consumption versions.

Additionally, make sure your neighbors are not stealing power from you.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Thanks for the tips. I know that the rate changes with the consumption. I just purchased and installed low consumption lights in my apartment. I still don't understand why I was put in the BTD tarifa group and what it will take to get me out. If lower consumption is the answer, then I will do it.

Mark

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Marcus said:
Thanks for the tips. I know that the rate changes with the consumption. I just purchased and installed low consumption lights in my apartment. I still don't understand why I was put in the BTD tarifa group and what it will take to get me out. If lower consumption is the answer, then I will do it.

Mark

I believe the "group" you're in is dictated by the amount of Kwh you consume per month. Over 700 Kwh and your tarifa is about 7.46RD per Kwh. Under 700 Kwh per month and you pay about half that (not sure of that tarifa since I have never been able to get under 700 KWh in a month lol).

I have a two bedroom apt. and consume around 1300 KWHs a month with only 1 window AC running for about 20hours a day, a small fridge, low wattage bulbs, and only run the water heater for about 45 minutes each night (TV and two computers running all day as well). Seems excessive to me but other than making sure no one is stealing from you (which is rare since most people connect directly to the main line) theres not much you can do other than lowering your usage. I pay much more for "luz" than I do for rent...

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
NV_ said:
I have a two bedroom apt. and consume around 1300 KWHs a month with only 1 window AC running for about 20hours a day, a small fridge, low wattage bulbs, and only run the water heater for about 45 minutes each night (TV and two computers running all day as well). Seems excessive to me but other than making sure no one is stealing from you (which is rare since most people connect directly to the main line) theres not much you can do other than lowering your usage. I pay much more for "luz" than I do for rent...

That is definitely too much. I too live in a 2 bedroom ap. 1 room has a window AC which only cools that 1 room for ~16hrous/day to 79 degrees, computer runs 16 hours @ 400W, Tv runs 16 hours @ 180W, about 4 x 20W bulbs each on all night, standard size fridge, water heater, no inversor tho... monthly bills between 400 and 500Kwh, meaning 1200 to 1800 pesos.

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
PlantaFULL it seems you are paying less than you should? how much would cost only the aircon 16 hours day?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
IMO the only way PlantaFull could be doing that is one of the following:

1) his apartment complex has a backup generator and uses it during blackouts.
2) His meter is messed up or rigged, possibly by a previous tennant.
3) His AC is microscopic and so is the bedroom it cools.
4) His house is wired in such a way that only part of the electricity he consumes (like maybe the 110 only) is passing through the meter.