Question

SID

Mar 31, 2003
Can anybody actually tell me if the Coral Hamaca (Boca Chica) compares the Riu Mambo (Puerto Plata). I've been to the Riu and I loved. Thought I'd go somewhere else but i don't want to be dissappointed. Gracias!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I'm sure it compares. You can compare any two things. A cat and a dog for example.

Of all in Boca Chica it is head and shoulders above the other two.

It is an AI after all how good can it be, really? But you'll get your cafeteria food and phoney entertainment from the chocolate friends (no kiddies that is the name for the sankies).

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Location aside, I think the RIUs are worlds ahead of the Coral Hotels by Hilton, as far as AIs go. I think you will be disappointed but good luck with your decision making!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
drloca said:
Location aside, I think the RIUs are worlds ahead of the Coral Hotels by Hilton, as far as AIs go. I think you will be disappointed but good luck with your decision making!
Two things to consider though, the RIUs were closed recently for the outbreak of viral disease and the Hiltons were just awarded an award of excellance for their attention to sanitary matters. You may say it was the guests that brought the disease into the RUIs, but if they had followed proper health procedures, it would have been controlled.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
It is an AI after all how good can it be, really?
You get what you pay for. There are 2-3-4 and 5 star AIs. All are priced accordingly. For example the Gran Paradise serves grilled lobster every day at the beach BBQ for lunch. But the daily rate per person is probably 50% higher than a 3 star resort. On other islands for example a Sandal's Resort will still be an AI, but serve name brand liquors and gourmet food. Again still higher price. Don't lump all AIs together.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
HOWMAR said:
You get what you pay for. There are 2-3-4 and 5 star AIs. All are priced accordingly. For example the Gran Paradise serves grilled lobster every day at the beach BBQ for lunch. But the daily rate per person is probably 50% higher than a 3 star resort. On other islands for example a Sandal's Resort will still be an AI, but serve name brand liquors and gourmet food. Again still higher price. Don't lump all AIs together.

First off the 2-3-4-5 stars are ratings they assign themselves, or the tour company does, which amounts to the same thing and as it is thus totally biased it means nothing.

Regardless of the lunch they are all lumped together as a joke when it comes to tourism vs. a vacation.

I'd have to say that a resort distinguished by the depth of viral diseases is a poor candidate for a place to hang your hat. And in any case if a person in interested in Boca Chica there is no RIU so the decision is easy.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The virus that affected the POP RIUs, could have broken out in any resort! And not all the guests were sick during this time, but lets not rehash that.
Having stayed at both chains on the island, RIUs quality is, on most levels, superior. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem staying at the Corals, just my observation that the RIUs are a step up.
The ratings, for the Canadian tour operators anyway, are done by their own employess who live in destination . I have been on some with a friend who does this job in DR, and the guidelines arent all based on luxury or fanciness, but loaction (eg ? on the beach, facilities, # of restaurants). These things may be important to some prospective travellers. ;)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
drloca said:
The ratings, for the Canadian tour operators anyway, are done by their own employess who live in destination .

My point exactly, and remind our viewers that the tour operators are the ones selling the packages to these very AI's. So it is not what you would remotely conceive of as an independent assessment and buyers need to take that into account. You can find the same places in different tour catalogs rated from 2 to 4 stars.

SID

Mar 31, 2003
Thank you all for your replies, you've help me lots, once again muchas gracias!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
My point exactly, and remind our viewers that the tour operators are the ones selling the packages to these very AI's. So it is not what you would remotely conceive of as an independent assessment and buyers need to take that into account. You can find the same places in different tour catalogs rated from 2 to 4 stars.
That is why I use independant reviewers such as Zagatt's and AAA. Also the ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) ranks all hotels in the world by strictly numerical criterea. In order to be listed the hotel must submit it's data. This data is confirmed by inspection with the risk of exclusion from ASTA if not correct. Something no hotel can risk. In the end, the best rating system is the free market system of supply and demand. Usually a hotel that charges more is better.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
HOWMAR said:
That is why I use independant reviewers such as Zagatt's and AAA. Also the ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) ranks all hotels in the world by strictly numerical criterea. In order to be listed the hotel must submit it's data. This data is confirmed by inspection with the risk of exclusion from ASTA if not correct. Something no hotel can risk. In the end, the best rating system is the free market system of supply and demand. Usually a hotel that charges more is better.

Question since I agree with something like AAA or Zagats - how many AI resorts in the DR are rated by either? I suspect none but I'd be interested to know if they actually are (esp. the AAA since the DR doesn't meet the first A in the abbreviation, by a long shot). Absent those independent agencies the average tourist is gulled by the brochures and the fact ratings are different by tour company brochure, for the same hotel leaves a lot to be desired in terms of reliability of any of them. Perhaps the best deal for the tour company financially leads them to put better ratings on less great properties to sway the uninformed to go there? Could be.

To the OP, if you want to be in Boca Chica you will find the Hamaca, especially the rooms closest to the water to be very satisfactory and if you fly into SDQ it only takes 15 minutes to get there. However I bet it will be a charter to the wrong airport like LRM or God help you , PUJ.