some info please!

kev

Jun 26, 2005
hi guys !! we are coming to dr in 2 weeks time and was hoping for some info! first we are bringing $us over can we spend that or do we have to exchange for $dr or can we use $us to buy things and if so do we get change in us or dr
(we are from uk) so to convert twice will confuse me lol also can we get things like mosquito repellant&candles and how much do they cost? any help on these questions would be of great help
thanx
kev

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
It's pretty easy to pay for stuff in USD but you may get ripped off. Some businesses have an 'in-house' exchange rate which means that they tip the scales in their favour, even if the bank rate is different to their rate - you can't do anyting about it. I would suggest that you exchange a few USD's when you arrive.

Mozzie spray and candles are sold at all supermarkets (not colmados as much). Don't know prices.

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. do dome searches on this site - you'll be a lot more informed for you trip.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
kev said:
hi guys !! we are coming to dr in 2 weeks time and was hoping for some info! first we are bringing $us over can we spend that or do we have to exchange for $dr or can we use $us to buy things and if so do we get change in us or dr
(we are from uk) so to convert twice will confuse me lol also can we get things like mosquito repellant&candles and how much do they cost? any help on these questions would be of great help
thanx
kev
You can purchase in most stores with dollars but they usually give a terrible exchange rate and the change is usually in pesos. There is no need to convert from Pounds to Dollars first. Most cambios (exchage houses) will give a good rate on Pounds to Pesos. There are so many cambios that it is very easy to exchange what you will need when you need it.
As far a repellants, sun blockers, etc., they are much cheaper if you bring it along.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
HOWMAR said:
Most cambios (exchage houses) will give a good rate on Pounds to Pesos. The are so many cambios that it is very easy to exchange what you will need when you need it.

Isn't it better value for money if you exchange at a real bank??

Stay well,
Amy

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
amy2761 said:

Stay well,
Amy
Usually, but Dominican banking hours are bankers hours. For the few % difference it usually isn't worth the transportation costs unless you're talking of exchanging large sums. The banks are closed Sunday, Saturday at noon and 5:00 durng the week unless you go to one of their supermarket branchs where the lines can be an hour long.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
from the uk

hi, im from the UK, i really suggust u get everything u can from home before: sun lotion, etc, dont forget imodium plus from home incase u need that as they cost about ?7-8 a pack, unless u find some non-tourist place to buy them. If u do run out of suntan lotion, then dont buy it in the hotel or ne tourist places as it costs a bomb compared to hpw much it costs at home. If u change ur money into pesos at home then make sure u dont change over more than you are going to spend as u cant change it back, but it is true that if u pay in pesos it works out cheaper.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
amy2761 said:

Stay well,
Amy

No...the banks' exchange rate is always lower than what you can get at an exchange house.

Do not exchange money in the airport, the bank, and definitely NOT with anyone on the street. Get to an exchange house and exchange it there. As someone already suggested exchange only what you think you'll need. Maybe a hundred pounds at a time. Another way to get pesos without having to exchange anything is to go to an ATM and use your debit card. You may even get a better rate this way, depending on who you bank with.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
suarezn said:
No...the banks' exchange rate is always lower than what you can get at an exchange house.

Do not exchange money in the airport, the bank, and definitely NOT with anyone on the street. Get to an exchange house and exchange it there. As someone already suggested exchange only what you think you'll need. Maybe a hundred pounds at a time. Another way to get pesos without having to exchange anything is to go to an ATM and use your debit card. You may even get a better rate this way, depending on who you bank with.
Not if the exchange house is located in an area frequented by tourists. For example, the exchange houses located in the Plaza at Palya Dorado pay 1-2 pesos less per dollar than the banks in town. Yes, use an exchange house (Cambio), but one that deals with the locals, not one that deals mainly with tourists. If coming to Puerto Plata, many of the locals use the cambio located in the ice cream store near Central Park.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
suarezn said:

Yea, having lived on the North Coast for close to three years now I thought I had that one straight ..... well, I get a better rate at a legit bank.

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Make sure the mosquito repellant has at least 22% DEET content. Anything lower is a huge waste of your money. Don't count on buying that here. I have friends bring it down for me all the time.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Must be where you guys live...definitely not the case anywhere else I've been in the country.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
suarezn said:
Must be where you guys live...definitely not the case anywhere else I've been in the country.
Referring to which post? Are you talking about mosquitos or cambios?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hi KKEV, here's the straight Poop!

Change just a couple of quid in the UK so's you have some local money in your pocket as you arrive.
Exchange your money at one of the more prominent "Casas de CAmbio" Such as MARCOs or Banco de Santa Cruz for the better rates.

NEVER, NEVER exchange money on the street.

Do buy mosquito repellant with a lot of DEET. You can buy one here called "DEPORTE" that will work fine for most people.

Do bring sun screen of 30 or above. Lobsters look like the tropics but it hurts like he!!, so no sense in ruining your holiday.

You will enjoy yourself, so relax....

HB :D:D:D:D

neuwk

Aug 16, 2005
www.fattynuggets.co.uk
Changing Pesos Back to Sterling

The post office will change DR$ back to ? quite happily, or atleast they do at my local office. It was quite amusing to see the lady look up the notes in what must be the encyclopedia of money denominations :)