Dominicans and Foreign Travel

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Hi DR1 members:

I have a question:

If a poor Dominican wants to travel to another country (not an industrialized country like UK, US, or Canada) but another developing country, is this possible?

In other words, I would like to get information related to what countries a Dominican can travel to without any restrictions?

Can anybody help?

Thanks! Mario

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think you would need to be more specific about which country you are referring to or have in mind, since the entry requirements differ from country to country.

May 31, 2005
Someone previously started a threat that shows a list of all the countries in the world where Dominicans can travel without a visa.

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
This is exactly what I want. Do you know how I can track down this thread? Thanks! mario

Dragonfly32837 said:
Someone previously started a threat that shows a list of all the countries in the world where Dominicans can travel without a visa.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Mario said:
Thank you! I am very appreciative.

So two more questions:

1. What does a Dominican have to do to get a passport?

2. How does one fly from Santo Domingo to Japan? Is there a service from here?

Thanks Mario

Santo Domingo - Japan would be via New York.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Conchman said:
Santo Domingo - Japan would be via New York.
That's not true. Air France flies SDQ-CDG-NRT.

But you do bring up a good point; that you should not book a flight that stops or connect in the US unless you have a US Visa.

Last edited:

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Silly question...

What cities are CDG and NRT. Are these both ok for Dominican passports? Thanks so much!!! This has been so helpful.
Mario

rellosk said:
That's not true. Air France flies SDQ-CDG-NRT.

But you do bring up a good point; that you should not book a flight that stops or connect in the US unless you have a US Visa.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
Frankfurt

You can also go through Frankfurt, but the layover may be long. I don't believe a transit visa is necessary. Probably Amsterdam as well.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need a transit visa for any European Union country or the U.K. as well. I am not aware of any country other than the U.S. where you would need one.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
SKY said:
You do not need a transit visa for any European Union country or the U.K. as well. I am not aware of any country other than the U.S. where you would need one.
Canada does not have transit facilities so you have to qualify for and have a visitor's visa to connect, and there are quite a few flights from the DR to Canada, with SDQ-Toronto starting non stop in December.

Odds of getting a visa are slim.

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Getting a Dominican Passport

Can someone tell me what the process is for getting a Dominican Passport?

What documents are needed? Where do you go to apply? What are the potential issues that may arise for obtaining the passport.

Thanks! Mario

ricktoronto said:
Canada does not have transit facilities so you have to qualify for and have a visitor's visa to connect, and there are quite a few flights from the DR to Canada, with SDQ-Toronto starting non stop in December.

Odds of getting a visa are slim.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
We can obtain a Dominican passport when we wants.

The process:

Birth Certificate previusly legalized.
4 pics 2 X 2
a copy of the ID (Cedula)
and go to the Direcci?n General de Migraci?n in the malecon near to La Feria, also you can pre pay the services in the Reservas Bank, you can obtain the passport in one day or 1 week as you want.

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Thank you for the response. However, Im a bit confused. Does this have to get done in the Capitol or can it get done in Puerto Plata or Santiago?

Also, how do you get the passport in one day?

What are you prepaying at the Reservas Bank?

I need a little more guidance on how to get this done.

Also, what are the fees to get the passport. Thanks! Mario

riravaga said:
We can obtain a Dominican passport when we wants.

The process:

Birth Certificate previusly legalized.
4 pics 2 X 2
a copy of the ID (Cedula)
and go to the Direcci?n General de Migraci?n in the malecon near to La Feria, also you can pre pay the services in the Reservas Bank, you can obtain the passport in one day or 1 week as you want.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Mario said:
Thank you for the response. However, Im a bit confused. Does this have to get done in the Capitol or can it get done in Puerto Plata or Santiago?

Also, how do you get the passport in one day?

What are you prepaying at the Reservas Bank?

I need a little more guidance on how to get this done.

Also, what are the fees to get the passport. Thanks! Mario

There are Passport offices all over the D.R. You do not have to go to S.D.

You are prepaying the fee for the Passport, which is about 1,200 RD. For one-day service add about 1,000 RD.

With regular service you can pick it up in 10 business days.

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks SKY!

Can you tell me where a passport office is in Sosua? Also, where can I prepay in Sosua?

Thanks!

Mario

SKY said:
There are Passport offices all over the D.R. You do not have to go to S.D.

You are prepaying the fee for the Passport, which is about 1,200 RD. For one-day service add about 1,000 RD.

With regular service you can pick it up in 10 business days.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Mario said:
Thanks SKY!

Can you tell me where a passport office is in Sosua? Also, where can I prepay in Sosua?

Thanks!

Mario

There is no passport office in Sosua. There is one in Puerta Plata. It is located across the street from the entrance to Casa Nelson.

I would recommend going directly there with your birth certificate and they can tell you about the price, etc. Also, there is a Banreservas within walking distance of the office to pay.

Also, you will need passport photos. Most photo shops can do this. There is one in Sosua near the Texaco station.

Last edited: