HELP-Moorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Thanks Chris, Ive tried Luperon but I cant find anything available with a draft of at least 5.5mtrs. I have two big ones coming in...(boats I mean) ahhhhhhhhhhh (down AZBBBBBBBB and Charles)!! :cross-eye

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry, I did not see the meters. I thought you were talking about feet. Boats with that kind of draft (5.5 meters)? .. Are you sure of your numbers? In my reckoning you're talking about large yachts, 150 - 200 feet and more in length.... or a 1,000 passenger ferry or something like that.. I know Paul McCarthney owns a nice yacht in this class. I guess your only hope is Puerto Plata (and I doubt if we'll see yachts of this nature there...). Check your numbers as I think you're talking of something just smaller than a cruise liner? And I know the Star Trek Auxiliary vehicle has a draft of 5.5 meters.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
Sorry, I did not see the meters. I thought you were talking about feet. Boats with that kind of draft (5.5 meters)? .. Are you sure of your numbers? In my reckoning you're talking about large yachts, 150 - 200 feet and more in length.... or a 1,000 passenger ferry or something like that.. I know Paul McCarthney owns a nice yacht in this class. I guess your only hope is Puerto Plata (and I doubt if we'll see yachts of this nature there...). Check your numbers as I think you're talking of something just smaller than a cruise liner? And I know the Star Trek Auxiliary vehicle has a draft of 5.5 meters.
Hahaha, maybe it is a submarine:)

Never saw anything like that before.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Speak to the people of Ocean World. They have already had a few super-yachts in their marina (soft opening december 2005).

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
Speak to the people of Ocean World. They have already had a few super-yachts in their marina (soft opening december 2005).

Can Conchman tell us which draft they are able to accommodate? A Yacht and a Ship and a Boat are different things... The enquiry here was for large boats...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We have 16 feet at entrance/fuel dock/turning basin and 12 feet in the back of the marina. 5.5 meters is 17 feet (me thinks) so this wouldnt' be a good idea.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pick a suitable spot in Samana harbor and drop your own mooring. Talk with Kim Beddall at Whale Samana to see if she can recommend somebody to help you make and drop your mooring. Mostly they use engine blocks, chaining several together if necessary. When I worked for Hotel Gran Bahia, I made several moorings with 50 gallon drums filled with rock and cement and with rebar sticking out of the sides so that it wouldn't roll. You couldn't roam the harbor at will with that draft, but you could find a mooring location and a channel to and from it.

5.5 meters is 18 feet.

You can also talk with the officials at the government dock at Arroyo Barril about tieing or mooring your vessel there. Start with the people at Arroyo Barril, not the Samana Comandante, since there are some turf issues between them.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And of course there is always

Manzanillo, but again you have to talk to the people there.

Isn't there a dock at Bergantine, near Monte Llano??? Sugar ships used to come in there...

HB :D:D:D

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ladybird said:
Ken or others please. Does anyone know of available moorings on the North Coast with a good draft suitable for large boats of approximately 5.5metres depth??? please.
Can't believe that 5.5 meters is correct. Small cruise liners of 350 ft length with capacity of 250 passengers and 100 crew only draw about 12 feet. Sail ship (i.e. Tall ship) of enormous length may draw near this but would expect to stay in a large harbor free of obstacles with tug boat assistance.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know the 800 passenger cruise ship Majestic, almost 600 feet long, drew only 21 feet.

The boat in question must be a large sailing vessel with long keel. or its a small cruise ship.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
No dumb broad

Thanks to all of you for your help, I have had meetings with the Marina Capt of the Navy at Puerto Plato, and the problem has been solved. I am fully experienced with BOATS, SHIPS, and plastic toys!!! my draft measurements are correct, and this is just the first of this size coming in.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ladybird, we are trying to find out what draws this much? For the life of me, I cannot think of any normal sailing vessel (which I am experienced with) drawing this much. Please let us out of our misery and tell us...

Btw, while I was trying to research this type of draft, I did come across the draft of the 'away' vehicle of the Enterprise.. and really, it draws 5.5 meters. So, I was not joking...

Do you know what kind of 'wake' problems Puerto Plata has as a harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.