Driver's License

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
I have a U.S. Driver's License and wanted to know if I was able to automatically get a drivers license in D.R? How does this process work? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You will need a Dominican Drivers License to get insurance here. Only way to get Dominican Drivers License is to get cedula and/or residencia.

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
Colonial Insurance - a major company, gave me insurance with my Canadian driver's license.(No Dominican license)

I decided however to go ahead and get my Dominican license. (If I ever have a major accident I don't want any problems.) I just got my learner's permit and in 45 days hopefully I will pass the road test and get the full license.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jay06 said:
I have a U.S. Driver's License and wanted to know if I was able to automatically get a drivers license in D.R? How does this process work? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay

It's NOT possible. The US embassy will NOT validate your license, so you cannot exchange it for a Dominican one.

Most European embassies will validate their nationals licenses.

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
Thank you everyone I will have to get my cedula then work on getting a D.R. drivers license. Hopefully these process wont become a headache eventhough for every procedure you go through so much hassle. Is funny because most of the time all rules are broken in this country so I wonder why do they make it so difficult in the first place. Once again thank you guys for your help.

Jay

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
drtampa said:
Why will the US Embassy not validate your drivers license? How strongly has this been pressed?

Keep in mind that US driver's licenses are issued by the individual states, not by the federal government. In general the Feds don't/can't intercede in such things. Requirements for personal driver's licenses differ greatly between the states also. I think this explains why the embassy won't validate them.

Swede

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
I don't know about the US embassy rules, but the Canadian consulate in Puerto Plata validated our Ontario driving licenses without problems.
With that document we got a Dominican license in just one day in SD without any driving exam.
In Canada also each province issues the driving licenses, not the country.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Aguayo said:
I don't know about the US embassy rules, but the Canadian consulate in Puerto Plata validated our Ontario driving licenses without problems.
With that document we got a Dominican license in just one day in SD without any driving exam.
In Canada also each province issues the driving licenses, not the country.

Be very careful! Unless your data is entered on the computer system regarding your blood type, eye test & computer written exam, followed by a practical driving test, your chance of compensation through insurance is zip...Also, be aware that after 90 days in the DR, ALL "foreign" drivers licences are INVALID. So if you have an accident on day 91, Your RD insurance company will not pay. Also be aware that it is not possible to carry insurance for an "older" vehicle, but you can get third-party liability which will cover the vehicle with which you collided. It is easy to get a "fake" drivers licence from the men who lurk around the pertinent offices, but what you get for your money will not be on the computer, so you will be "s..t" out of luck. See also previous discussions on the Message Board regarding this. Canadian Bob.

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
Is there a Canadian Consulate in Santo Domingo that might also validate an Ontario License? Where is it located?