AZB goes to Morocco and south of spain.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok guys, my big trip is very near. I am still waiting for the the final ticket approval from an african airline. It seems like I will be in NY on saturday or sunday and then I will head to morocco (casa blanca, rabat). The high light of my trip is not really morocco but south of spain. My brother and I (maybe a friend or 2 also) will drive up north into spain via ferry. My question is, what are some worthwile places to see in south spain? We will definitely see the moorish palace of alhambra and a few other moorish sites. can anyone recommend some good historical places to visit in the south spain region?
thanks in advance.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
And.......!

AZB said:
Ok guys, my big trip is very near. I am still waiting for the the final ticket approval from an african airline. It seems like I will be in NY on saturday or sunday and then I will head to morocco (casa blanca, rabat). The high light of my trip is not really morocco but south of spain. My brother and I (maybe a friend or 2 also) will drive up north into spain via ferry. My question is, what are some worthwile places to see in south spain? We will definitely see the moorish palace of alhambra and a few other moorish sites. can anyone recommend some good historical places to visit in the south spain region?
thanks in advance.
AZB
Man, I can already see a few mambers buying champagne to celebrate that you will not be around DR1 for a while!!!!. LOL.

I, for one, wish you the best of trips. Take lots of pics and drink alot of sangria while in Spain.

If you go to Madrid, I can have some Spaniard relatives(from mom side) show you around.

Good luck!.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sevilla, taken as a whole, is superior to Granada, IMHO. Granada has the Alhambra and Albaicin but not that much more, apart from a pleasant climate and mountain setting. Seville is the one of the most stunning cities you will visit, and has the Alcazaba and its gardens which are almost as spectacular as the Alhambra. It will be hot and dry (summer temperatures can reach the mid 40s C) but if you are lucky it may be cooling down a little by the time you visit. If I had to choose between the two, I would take Seville. If you can visit both, all the better. The mosque (now the cathedral) at Cordoba is also quite something.

Off the more beaten tourist track, I would recommend a trip through the province of Cadiz: Tarifa, the southernmost point in Europe, white towns like Vejer, Arcos and Medina Sidonia, seaside villages like Zahara de los Atunes and Sanlucar de Barrameda, the area round Cape Trafalgar and the majesty of Jerez. It all oozes with Islamic heritage, fabulous scenery, excellent food and wine. The city of Cadiz itself is surprisingly nice and the old town area will remind you of the colonial parts of Santo Domingo.

Say hi to Jebel Tarik from me when you sail by, and if you plan to visit the place do let me know so I can put out a warning.;)

Buen viaje!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chiri, thanks for the informative post. I already had seville on my list of places. I am doing a research into all the southern cities but I must say, you have narrowed down my search to 3 cities that I was already planning on visiting.
I will wave to your island on my right.
AZB

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
AZB said:
thanks in advance.
AZB

Sevilla and C?rdoba are beautiful historical cities, and Madrid, although not really in the south, has the craziest nightlife. Enjoy your trip.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB said:
Chiri, thanks for the informative post. I already had seville on my list of places. I am doing a research into all the southern cities but I must say, you have narrowed down my search to 3 cities that I was already planning on visiting.
I will wave to your island on my right.
AZB

It's not a &*^%ing island!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
While doing that trip with my husband, we toured the cathedrals in Granada, Cordoba & Seville as all these city's cathedrals have a portion of the Moorish temples built into them. It is incredible to see the Christian base, then the arabic tiles and above it all the Christian domes. Also don't forget to check out Chris Columbus' tomb in Seville. While in each of these citiies, there is a medina. We found the most incredible restaurants within the medinas.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
rendul said:
Also don't forget to check out Chris Columbus' tomb in Seville.

Didn't you know that Chris Columbus is really buried in The DR (so the argument goes)...No need to go to Spain to visit his tomb, just go to El Faro and pay a couple of bucks to see it.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
don't forget Ronda

Hi AZB,
nice to hear that you are coming to Europe.

As has been said, there are the 3 major moorish cities Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I agree that Seville is the best of them and as far as I can remember Sevillian girls are the most beautiful girls you will find in Spain, so wear your shades or your eyes will hurt (also to protect you from the dry and hot winds around there, Seville is known as the frying pan of Spain).

Other places of interest are Ronda, a smaller moorish town built on a mountain top with spectacular views, and of course the impressive marina at Marbella.

Enjoy your trip
Bartolomeo

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
AZBs conquests

Excellent. While he is busy there, I am organizing a band of rebel conquistadors here, to steal his harem.

It's true, there's more to AZBs wife business than meets the eye. He doesn't simply love em and leave em, he actually has a harem. Similar to the way some people stable horses, and ride one favorite this day, another favorite that day.

WATCH OUT, AZB! The rebs are coming.

What exact dates will you be away, btw?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I was just going to comment something like "what an informative post, Chiri. I knew you'd chime in with some very helpful advice. You are so kind, and always willing to share your vast knowledge."

Then I saw this:

Chirimoya said:

and LMAO!!! You are the best, you are just way too funny!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm in my element here!

trina said:
I was just going to comment something like "what an informative post, Chiri. I knew you'd chime in with some very helpful advice. You are so kind, and always willing to share your vast knowledge."

Then I saw this:

and LMAO!!! You are the best, you are just way too funny!

On the irritation scale, it scores slightly lower than people calling the DR 'the Duminicun'.

aerobaticman said:
Another town I would very strongly suggest is C?diz, right next to Seville. A very old town (1100 BC) built on a peninsula with tons of old churches, city walls, and more. On a clear day you can even see across the water the African Continent.

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/cadiz.htm

A must see!!!

I agree, Cadiz is worth a visit, but it's at least an hour's drive from Seville. The best views of Africa can be seen from further down the coast, towards Tarifa, where the Strait is at its narrowest (7km).

Bartolomeo67 said:
Other places of interest are Ronda, a smaller moorish town built on a mountain top with spectacular views, and of course the impressive marina at Marbella.

Absolutely!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Wow, I always had thought that gibraltar was a huge rock, sort of an island next to spain. Now I see the map and have realized that why its actually called strait fo gibraltar. I think I can walk the whole territory in a day.
Oh well, I guess I will see it to my left when I take the ferry to spain. I think we will take the ferry from mellila to algacera (excuse my spelling).
AZB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Has anybody notified the Spanish government of this visit. They may want to declare Marshall Law and have all the virgins placed in protective custody.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe AZB's trips should be posted in clown bin and only a few posts mentioned the DR, uhhhh, special treatment. Have a great trip and I'm jealous. Tom F.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't care about any of this... You just simply have to bring us good spices from Morocco! You too can make a profit on this trip ;) Cumin, coriander, saffron, chiles, dried ginger, cinnamon, paprika. Hell, import some good lamb! I'll swop my one eye tooth for some good saffron! And I'll make.. uhm.. I'l make ... we'll maybe I'll pour some on a cutting board and lick it up!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chris said:
I don't care about any of this... You just simply have to bring us good spices from Morocco! You too can make a profit on this trip ;) Cumin, coriander, saffron, chiles, dried ginger, cinnamon, paprika. Hell, import some good lamb! I'll swop my one eye tooth for some good saffron! And I'll make.. uhm.. I'l make ... we'll maybe I'll pour some on a cutting board and lick it up!
Hahahaha, you don't have to go to morocco to get all that, its available in any US state. I get all my spices from atlanta and the indian / pakistani stores are in all areas. now if you live in NY anyone knows there is an indian / pakistani grocery store in all neighborhoods.
AZB