Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AZB goes to Morocco and south of spain.

Ok guys, my big trip is very near. I am still waiting for the the final ticket approval from an african airline. It seems like I will be in NY on saturday or sunday and then I will head to morocco (casa blanca, rabat). The high light of my trip is not really morocco but south of spain. My brother and I (maybe a friend or 2 also) will drive up north into spain via ferry. My question is, what are some worthwile places to see in south spain? We will definitely see the moorish palace of alhambra and a few other moorish sites. can anyone recommend some good historical places to visit in the south spain region?
    thanks in advance.
    AZB

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default And.......!

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    Ok guys, my big trip is very near. I am still waiting for the the final ticket approval from an african airline. It seems like I will be in NY on saturday or sunday and then I will head to morocco (casa blanca, rabat). The high light of my trip is not really morocco but south of spain. My brother and I (maybe a friend or 2 also) will drive up north into spain via ferry. My question is, what are some worthwile places to see in south spain? We will definitely see the moorish palace of alhambra and a few other moorish sites. can anyone recommend some good historical places to visit in the south spain region?
    thanks in advance.
    AZB
    Man, I can already see a few mambers buying champagne to celebrate that you will not be around DR1 for a while!!!!. LOL.

I, for one, wish you the best of trips. Take lots of pics and drink alot of sangria while in Spain.

If you go to Madrid, I can have some Spaniard relatives(from mom side) show you around.

Good luck!.

Post Thanks / Like

Sevilla, taken as a whole, is superior to Granada, IMHO. Granada has the Alhambra and Albaicin but not that much more, apart from a pleasant climate and mountain setting. Seville is the one of the most stunning cities you will visit, and has the Alcazaba and its gardens which are almost as spectacular as the Alhambra. It will be hot and dry (summer temperatures can reach the mid 40s C) but if you are lucky it may be cooling down a little by the time you visit. If I had to choose between the two, I would take Seville. If you can visit both, all the better. The mosque (now the cathedral) at Cordoba is also quite something.

Off the more beaten tourist track, I would recommend a trip through the province of Cadiz: Tarifa, the southernmost point in Europe, white towns like Vejer, Arcos and Medina Sidonia, seaside villages like Zahara de los Atunes and Sanlucar de Barrameda, the area round Cape Trafalgar and the majesty of Jerez. It all oozes with Islamic heritage, fabulous scenery, excellent food and wine. The city of Cadiz itself is surprisingly nice and the old town area will remind you of the colonial parts of Santo Domingo.

Say hi to Jebel Tarik from me when you sail by, and if you plan to visit the place do let me know so I can put out a warning.

Buen viaje!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chiri, thanks for the informative post. I already had seville on my list of places. I am doing a research into all the southern cities but I must say, you have narrowed down my search to 3 cities that I was already planning on visiting.
    I will wave to your island on my right.
    AZB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks in advance.
    AZB
    Sevilla and Córdoba are beautiful historical cities, and Madrid, although not really in the south, has the craziest nightlife. Enjoy your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Chiri, thanks for the informative post. I already had seville on my list of places. I am doing a research into all the southern cities but I must say, you have narrowed down my search to 3 cities that I was already planning on visiting.
    I will wave to your island on my right.
    AZB
    It's not a &*^%ing island!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

While doing that trip with my husband, we toured the cathedrals in Granada, Cordoba & Seville as all these city's cathedrals have a portion of the Moorish temples built into them. It is incredible to see the Christian base, then the arabic tiles and above it all the Christian domes. Also don't forget to check out Chris Columbus' tomb in Seville. While in each of these citiies, there is a medina. We found the most incredible restaurants within the medinas.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rendul
    Also don't forget to check out Chris Columbus' tomb in Seville.
    Didn't you know that Chris Columbus is really buried in The DR (so the argument goes)...No need to go to Spain to visit his tomb, just go to El Faro and pay a couple of bucks to see it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default don't forget Ronda

Hi AZB,
    nice to hear that you are coming to Europe.

As has been said, there are the 3 major moorish cities Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I agree that Seville is the best of them and as far as I can remember Sevillian girls are the most beautiful girls you will find in Spain, so wear your shades or your eyes will hurt (also to protect you from the dry and hot winds around there, Seville is known as the frying pan of Spain).

Other places of interest are Ronda, a smaller moorish town built on a mountain top with spectacular views, and of course the impressive marina at Marbella.

Enjoy your trip
    Bartolomeo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Beginning the reconquest of Al Andalus, eh AZB. Don't take any prisoners!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast