No legal rights in DR

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
Get hit by a car in the DR, and absolutely little if any recourse. Two cases in point. First, a large trailer cab parked illegally on a public street for days with no lights or indication of danger was run into by a car. The driver was killed, leaving a wife & 4 children. After consulting several lawyers who wanted an exhorbitant down payment the wife paid one of the lawyers, who after 6 months accomplished nothing. No award, just money lost on a dishonest lawyer.
Second, A 17 year old collge student was walking across a street near her school with a green light indicating OK to proceed across the street. One of DR?s infamous taxis drives through the red light facing him, and strikes the girl who has had three surgeries on her shoulder, and a metal rod inserted by the Physicians. she must undergo physical therapy two times each week, and her family must pay for the treatments. No monetary award, no attempt to compensate for her pain or suffering let alone a partial disability for life.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you wanna live in an environment where everybody sues everybody for anything, just move to the United States.

A monetary reward is not gonna bring those people back to life - or help the girl since the taxi driver probably has no money anyway.

Dominicanscotti

Jun 30, 2005
Conchman said:
If you wanna live in an environment where everybody sues everybody for anything, just move to the United States.

A monetary reward is not gonna bring those people back to life - or help the girl since the taxi driver probably has no money anyway.
Hell yeah, I would rather live here than have a half a chance at an honest Judicial system like in the US.

Living here is much better than the US even though you get a better shake in Court here only if you are well connected or understand whom to pay off!

This is NOT a matter of "is it better to live in the DR or US". It is a matter of honesty and corruption this person is talking about which from an outsiders point of view SUCKS! I hope you never hit a cab driver, then you will see the reverse side of this same coin. You will pay DEARLY!

Last edited:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
A Respond to No Legal Rights in DR

I believe that we should be very careful when we compare two societies such as the DR and USA. I beleive that most people would agree with me that not matter how bad it looks the legal system in the USA is much better than ours. To say that one rather live in DR because in the USA "everybody demands everbody" do not justify the type of traffic violation we experience on the streets of DR. In my opinion, s good to know that you can go to court and demand somebody for 10.00 US dollars. It will tell me that my right are protect it and I don?t have to take the law into my own hands.

I believe that everyone know that driving in DR is dangerous. I personally pray to God to save me from having a traffic accidents in DR. If I loose my my vehicle, am f... big times. I probably wind up again in the cold streets of New Yorks. People, It is hard to replace your vehicle or have someone pay for the damages in DR. We have to do better when it comes to traffic accidents and the law in general. Let me share with you a true story about car accidents in the USA. Several years ago, I went to Orlando, Florida. On my way back to Miami, I stopped at an intersection to make a right onto main road when I heard a bang! Two cars collided and one of them destroyed the front fender and radiator of my Toyota. Suddently, and within minutes, I herd the sounds of siren. The police and the fire department showed up. Two hours later I was driving a brand new Pontiac back to Miami. This it the type of traffic law and protection that we need, otherwise, we are lost. I want to protect this piece of land and its citizen. She is the only thing we have left.

Hector

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bienvenido said:
I believe that we should be very careful when we compare two societies such as the DR and USA......
..... Let me share with you a true story about car accidents in the USA. Several years ago, I went to Orlando, Florida. On my way back to Miami, I stopped at an intersection to make a right onto main road when I heard a bang! Two cars collided and one of them destroyed the front fender and radiator of my Toyota. Suddently, and within minutes, I herd the sounds of siren. The police and the fire department showed up. Two hours later I was driving a brand new Pontiac back to Miami. This it the type of traffic law and protection that we need, otherwise, we are lost. I want to protect this piece of land and its citizen. She is the only thing we have left.

Hector
Were you driving a rental that was replaced? The insurance and legal systems of the US are indeed better than those of the DR, but let's be realistic. An insurance claim settled in 2 hours? And you got a new car when the damage to your old car was a fender and a radiator?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Conchman said:

Come on, Conchman. Yes, some people in the US are "law suit crazy" but I would much prefer that than to have no recourse whatsoever. People here get SCREWED constantly.

Monetary rewards do not bring people back to life or erase an accident but they do compensate people at least somewhat for their losses.

Scandall

nycuban

Feb 4, 2004
Come on. Honestly speaking here we must say that Dominican Republic is a beautiful place to live in the sense of climate, freedom, i mean its beautiful to wake up in the morning and the sun is out, you feel refreshed.. its great. But to compare the judicial system of the DR with the US is really sick.

I have lived on and off several times in the Dominican Republic and the judicial system is the worse. I once tried to resolve a problem with my apartment and it took me 3 years and 4,000 dollars later and NOTHING. The lawyers are a bunch of thieves, everything take 3 times as long. 80% of all of them can be bought. Its horrible. I mean come on, be realistic.. the US has SMALL CLAIMS COURT, The better business bureau, CHILD SUPPORT, FAMILY COURT.. all kinds of stuff and lawsuits.. NO COMPARISON.

I LOVE DR but hey, the truth their judicial system SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Scandall said:
Monetary rewards do not bring people back to life or erase an accident but they do compensate people at least somewhat for their losses.

Scandall

Where is it written that when I have lost something / someone, I am entitled... This is a very US centric way of thinking about things. People win, people lose. If you take your argument a few steps further, should I lose an aged parent, I could sue the medical establishment for not having done enough to make us immortal.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Chris said:
Where is it written that when I have lost something / someone, I am entitled... This is a very US centric way of thinking about things. People win, people lose. If you take your argument a few steps further, should I lose an aged parent, I could sue the medical establishment for not having done enough to make us immortal.

Gimme a break. I am the last person with a sense of "entitlement" and even so the concept is not uniquely American. However, VICTIMS are entitled to restitution.

You say that some win and some lose. Does that mean that I can come to your house, kick your ***, break your things and we should just chaulk you up as a "loser".

People certainly do take things too far but the above cases are pretty clear.

I hope nothing bad ever happens to you.

Scandall

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Man, you got me fired up on this one. "US Centric"? You have not a clue. Do a little research and see what happens in Europe when someone is caused a loss by another through their negligence or malice.

It's not about entitlement. It's about the rule of law. If we went with your philosophy we should just abolish all law and let people either be "winners" and "losers". A good court system usually filters out the suits that are rediculous.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Scandall said:
Gimme a break. I am the last person with a sense of "entitlement" and even so the concept is not uniquely American. However, VICTIMS are entitled to restitution.

You say that some win and some lose. Does that mean that I can come to your house, kick your ***, break your things and we should just chaulk you up as a "loser".

People certainly do take things too far but the above cases are pretty clear.

I hope nothing bad ever happens to you.

Scandall

Why be nasty? I can debate the argument but your last sentence simply puts that little twist into it, and it makes me lose all interest. I'm off to dinner...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Chris said:
Why be nasty? I can debate the argument but your last sentence simply puts that little twist into it, and it makes me lose all interest. I'm off to dinner...

The last sentence was nasty? Man, your backwards. I though my scenario about coming to your house was much nastier.... :)

Read my above edit to see where I was coming from.

And I truly do hope nothing ever happens to you. That was not a swipe.

Buen provecho.

Scandall
"A Uniter not a Divider"

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Chris said:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/

People who suffer as a result of someone's negligence or criminal activity deserve to be compensated.

How you equate this to a natural death is ludicrous and more than a few steps further.
Seems more like you have taken a few steps off the deep end in the pool of logic and reality.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Chris said:

Chris, sweetheart,

He's not being nasty. He's being ... well, Scandall, who we all know and love ( well, most of us!) And I think he makes a lot of good points. I also think that you have a lot of rational thinking going on up there.

Excuse me, I need to go eat at McDonalds now. When I spill my hot coffee on my lap, they will have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands! ;) And just wait until I get fat from all of the QPs with cheese. They ain't seen nothing yet!

In a perfect world, we would all be compensated for our losses but the fact of the matter is you can't get blood from a turnip.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, now that I have had dinner and done my thing for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I have to tell you all that you are not thinking clearly. (Sorry to be so AZB'ish).

Victims deserve the chance to sue, you say. (Or I read... tell me if I'm wrong.) Now tell me, who are the haitians going to sue, or the somalians or ... put in the dots who you want to put in the dots, there are many candidates. Or 'is it all their own fault'? I can hear you say...

Have none of you ever read any philosophy? Who decides who the victims are.. and who decides what makes them victims? And who decides what restitution they (the victims) should get?. Who decides what 'criminal activity' is. The courts? Gimme a break (to coin a phrase)! Anyone heard the saying about the law is an ***? Is it possible to get a real conversation here on DR1? or are we going to go for the platitudes? Remember, this stuff is the stuff that societies and civilations are made from, and born of. This is important sh!t...

That's all from me tonight... and remember, Don't spill the Coffee! and don't cross the road, and don't let Scandall into your house, and don't take any statement to its logical conclusion, you'll be the victim of stepping off the deep end of logic and reality.

Man... we need a little fun on this site. Its been boring of late.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:

I guess we are a victim of our own success. Can I make a claim?

I tend to agree with Christa... I can live without the ambulance chasers and lawyers advertising Jerry Springer style.

This is the DR, it's not the USA or Europe thank God.
Love it or hate it, it offers many of us a lifestyle that most of our 1st world counter parts can only dream of.

As I have always said... Nothing worse than attempting to inflict your own moral values on a foreign culture.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Chris said:
Victims deserve the chance to sue, you say. (Or I read... tell me if I'm wrong.) Now tell me, who are the haitians going to sue, or the somalians or ... put in the dots who you want to put in the dots, there are many candidates. Or 'is it all their own fault'? I can hear you say...

Have none of you ever read any philosophy? Who decides who the victims are.. and who decides what makes them victims? And who decides what restitution they (the victims) should get?. Who decides what 'criminal activity' is. The courts? Gimme a break (to coin a phrase)! Anyone heard the saying about the law is an ***? Is it possible to get a real conversation here on DR1? or are we going to go for the platitudes? Remember, this stuff is the stuff that societies and civilations are made from, and born of. This is important sh!t...
The fact that the rights and means to sue is not universal for every human on this planet does not nullify the spirit of decency, logic, and restitution.
The degrees are debatable but the absolute denial is foolish.

Human rights and kind sociable behaviour have a very broad range of interpretations in numerous societies on this planet, and also within each.

What is the point in whining that all do not share in your reality.

You are fortunate that you exist in one where you are free to leave.
If you are not happy with the laws of the land where you are, leave, and be grateful that you can.

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/#juridiques

24. (1) Anyone whose rights or freedoms, as guaranteed by this Charter, have been infringed or denied may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction to obtain such remedy as the court considers appropriate and just in the circumstances.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, looks like Scandall coming to my house and kicking *** and breaking things is the level of thinking here. So, let's talk about that...

Let's put that scenario into the DR way of doing things, and not the Canadian/Europe/US/other way of doing things... What will happen? Community justice, that is what will happen. There is plenty of justice here, it is just not nicely wrapped up in a document like a Charter with a whole bunch of legal infrastructure to back it up. This is not always understandable for us who grew up with things like Charters to teach us how to behave. In the DR you can always sue if that is your preference - you are free to do so - in fact, you are free to do most anything. You just won't get anything and will beat your head against a brick wall and lose your own cool and peace of mind. This is how things work here. Was it Sunny who talked about the blood from a turnip thing... (And we should not immediately get visions that we live in a country full of turnips :laugh:

So, the question is can things work better? Yes of course, but then again, they can work better most everywhere on the planet.

My vote is to leave things in the DR to those who can effect change in the DR. Those that yell for legal justice, need to live where legal justice makes them feel safe. We all have the luxury to leave if we don't like it. My vote is not to build a society that considers running to the courts each time they spill hot coffee on themselves. To use Scandal's word.. that's backwards in my thinking.

And to address point 7 and 24 in Malibook's post.. If you tell that to the folks in Ethiopia or Nigeria or our Neighbors.. they are sure to ask you where their rights are then and where they could go to claim them, or where is the restitution, as they are really in need of their rights.

I think we should all take a much greater interest in our own safety and not expect so much from elected governments, lawyers and the wheels of justice. In other words, look where you walk, who your friends are, where you spend time and generally take full responsibility for yourself while you are in the DR. Don't have an expectation that anyone else, i.e., the authorities, is going to do that for you. Being responsible for myself in my mind is the first step to freedom --- but then again, looking at the level of this conversation, I have to reword the above sentence.. Being responsible for myself, and having been taught not to harm others, in my mind is the first step to real personal freedom..

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Chris said:
OK, now that I have had dinner and done my thing for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I have to tell you all that you are not thinking clearly. (Sorry to be so AZB'ish).

That's all from me tonight... and remember, Don't spill the Coffee! and don't cross the road, and don't let Scandall into your house, and don't take any statement to its logical conclusion, you'll be the victim of stepping off the deep end of logic and reality.

I am reminded of Juaquin Phonix' character's line from 9mm:

"There are 3 rules in life,
Rule #1: There is always a victim
Rule #2: Don't be the victim
Rule #3: I forgot rule #3..."