Riding near Playa Dorada

mark2k

Sep 9, 2005
Riding near Playa Dorada ? diving & snorkeling

Hi there - we will go to Playa Dorada for Honeymoon next week.
We will stay at the Paradise Beach Resort, which we booked last minute.

since i was in DR before, and i read this forum actively :) i know that tours offered in the hotel complex are most of the time a rip-off.

my wife is an experienced horsebackrider and she would really love to ride the beaches or the countryside. can you advise where to look for or to whom i should speak? a guided "tourists-on-horses-who-have-never-been-on-horses-before-riding-in-slow-motion-through-the-valley" tour is not what i am aiming for - can you give me any advise?

thank you :)

p.s.: i am more to into riding with sea-horses, and i aim to go to sosua for some scuba diving, because i heard good things about that spot. should i book in playa dorada, or can i simply take a cab to sosua and look for a diving base there?

One last question: can you snorkel at playa dorada and is its worth, or should i go somewhere else for snorkeling?

thanks/2

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I"d recommend Lorilar ranch. They are very reputable and not far from Playa Dorada. They offer a number of different tours.

YOu can reach Gail at 1-809-320-0498

Yes you can just go to Sousa for diving. I recommend you snorkel there as well. Playa dorada is not great for snorkelling unfortunately.

I also recommend the catamaran, Freestyle is very good they will take you to sosua for snorkelling, to 3 rocks for more snorkelling, lunch, drinks etc. It's a great day.

Have fun.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Maybe if you go riding at Seahorse Ranch it will cover all the horse-types. Just kidding.

I have never been disappointed with Gypsy Ranch, midway between Sosua and Cabarete, and across from Coconut Palms. It's a dream of a ride-- try the 2 hour beach ride, just before sunset, on well cared for horses that love to gallop on the beach. Most of the ride is on the beach, btw.

The horses are smooth gaited (with a little paso fino blood) and sure footed. The guides are friendly and allow you to ride at your own pace.

I've ridden with other experienced riders each time, and everyone was pleased. There are several horses that go and go, but are finger tip control as well. Heck, what are the names now? Huracan ... Gaucho... My fav, Principe, and a few others.

Enjoy your trip!
dawnwil