Punta Cana (Higuey PUJ) to Santo Domingo

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Hi Folks

My wife will be coming in to Punt Cana airport soon and I'm after info regarding getting her from the airport to Santo Domingo with as little hassle as possible.

I've searched the threads a bit, some of the info is mid 2004 so may be out of date.

Apparently there's no Caribe Tours or Metro from Punta Cana.

One option seems to be ; go to Bavaro (30 - 35 mins away) and get the Espreso Bavaro which goes '4 times a day' to Sto. Domingo.

Has anyone any updated info on this?

Thanks in advance
Paul

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you search on the countless threads on this subject you will find info on a couple of buses that make the journey and not Metro or Caribe. There is painstaking detail on the times, costs , routes etc. Or take a taxi or rental car, and pay quite a lot.

I presume you are one of the many who think flying into the wrong airport is a good idea to save money even though you then take an entire day to go where you actually want to?

Freemo

May 26, 2003
ricktoronto said:
If you search on the countless threads on this subject you will find info on a couple of buses that make the journey and not Metro or Caribe. There is painstaking detail on the times, costs , routes etc. Or take a taxi or rental car, and pay quite a lot.

I presume you are one of the many who think flying into the wrong airport is a good idea to save money even though you then take an entire day to go where you actually want to?

We dont have much choice when it comes to airport - I'll give you the examples for today...

Air France to Santo Domingo - ?489
Britannia to Puerto Plata - ?329
Britannia to Punta Cana - ?219

Spot the difference! If ?270 is not worth 3 hours on a bus to you - then you're in a better financial position than I am Gungadin. Or possibly you just like wasting money.

I will re-search as you suggest. Got no problem with that.

Cheers
Paul

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I wouldn't fly nto the wrong place for 270 anything if it means losing nearly two days of a trip on buses and connections. The 3 hour part is just the bus ride, don't bet it will be raring to go 5 minutes after you arrive. For two maybe a taxi is affordable.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
ricktoronto said:
I wouldn't fly nto the wrong place for 270 anything if it means losing nearly two days of a trip on buses and connections. The 3 hour part is just the bus ride, don't bet it will be raring to go 5 minutes after you arrive. For two maybe a taxi is affordable.

Dont worry

1. Its only the wife.
2. She's got 7 days to get to Sto Domingo, pay the balance on the new aptartment and get back to the airport. I don't think she'll be rushed off her feet somehow.

Still nice of you to be so concerned.

crazygator

Oct 12, 2005
hi, i am living in bavaro, the cheapest way it's take a taxi from punta cana airport to sichoprola bus station and then take an express bus to santo domingo, other opcions are planes, or taxis a taxi will be like 125 dollars any questions just email me directly to crazygator4wheels@hotmail.com

ahhh tha xpress bus ist less than 10 us like 8 or something

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Safer than taking the Expresso Bavaro which only goes 4 times a day, is taking a taxi from the airport to the Sichoprola bus station in Higuey where there is a bus to Santo Domingo every hour or so. Buses arrive in SD near Parque Enriquillo.
Bartolomeo

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Safer than taking the Expresso Bavaro which only goes 4 times a day, is taking a taxi from the airport to the Sichoprola bus station in Higuey where there is a bus to Santo Domingo every hour or so. Buses arrive in SD near Parque Enriquillo.
Bartolomeo

I personally wouldn't call it safer... a turista getting dropped of in Parque Enriquillo is not exactly the safest environment in the world. I personally recommend option one which is taking the Expreso to Santo Domingo. Less hassle and more secure. And according to what I've heard, there's going to be another bus station for the Expreso in Punta Cana starting this December and it'll be only 3 minutes away from the airport. When I get more information I'll post it.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
With safer, I just meant safer to not miss the connection and having to wait a long time for the next bus since there are only a few Expresos.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thanks guys for advice

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

My wife's a Dominicana by the way, heaven help anyone who tries to charge her too much for anything. As far as 'safer' is concerned, she's precious so thanks again.

Paul

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Expreso Ejecutivo Bav?ro-Sto Dgo

This express departs every day from the Terminal that is beside the New Politur Police Station in Bav?ro, near the Friusa crossroads. The coach departs at 7:00 - 10:00 am and 2:00 - 4:00 pm daily. The oneway fare as of today's date is RD$ 230. It is about a 3.5 - 4.0 hour trip from Bavaro to Santo Domingo. The coach trip is comfortable and just as reasonably safe as in a taxi but cheaper.

There are two main stops in Santo Domingo - Parque Enriquillo in the middle of the downtown comercial district (advise not to arrive after dark ) and at the terminal at the corner of Juan S?nchez Ramirez and Av Maximo Gomez near the Nacional Supermercado and just a short distance from the National Theater and the American Consulate

Note: People who desire to go to Las Americas airport from Bav?ro may request the bus driver to stop at the crossroad to the airport. There is a nearby taxi stand where you can obtain the 1 km ride to the terminal.

Regards,
PJT