Accident - Repair - Happiness!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm going to break this down into blocks. Makes it simple for me and easy for anyone reading to digest.

Accident:
A couple of months ago I was hit on the passenger side whilst driving in the Colonial Zone.
I stopped and the other driver fled the scene, not uncommon here as plenty of people drive without being insured or drunk when driving.

before_1.jpg

before_1.jpg

Police Report:
I needed a police report for my insurance company, so the next morning I went off to the Palacio here in Santo Domingo, expecting a few hours of pain and running around. My only hope was it was a Saturday, so maybe it wouldn't be that busy.

To my surprise, it was so slow, I had to wake up the female Sergent who was in charge of accident reports. She informed that the system was down and couldn't help me. Then it dawned on me, I don't need to be here, my insurance company is affiliated with CMA (La Casa Del Conductor) on Av. Bolivar. This is a nice modern facility that allows you to deal with accident reports, insurance companies, legal issues etc. I believe it also has the only jail in the DR without bars.

When I arrive I'm greeted by the receptionist who takes my details and offers me a coffee.
After some small talk, she points me in the direction of the police officer that will write up the police report for me. 10 mins later I was on my way.

An overall very professional experience, in nice comfortable surroundings.
Anyone that takes insurance out here, should make sure their company or their policy covers CMA. It will save you a lot of hassles if you or ever unfortunate to have an accident in Santo Domingo.

Insurance Company:
I use Franco & Acra as my broker, they are located on Winston Churchill (details at the end).
My insurance company is ProSeguros which is owned and managed by Banco Progreso.

Police report in hand, I call my broker. I'm passed through to the guy that handles my account. Emilio Chea, nice guy with perfect English, which is handy as sometimes I can get a little tongue twisted trying to explain car/tech details in Spanish.

He tells me he will fax the forms I need to fill out to make a claim. Plus a list of recommended repair shops my insurance company deals with. As soon as he receives back all the forms from me, he will send out an accessors to take a look at the jeep.

The next day Emilio calls me back to arrange a time for the accessor to look at the jeep.
The accessor turns up smack on time, has a good look, takes a million photos and leaves.

Finding a Repair Shop:
I made a post on the message board asking if anyone had any good experiences with local panel shops.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41217

Only one name came up, Altima Auto. I had them on my list of approved repair shops, so I stated to do a little investigating. I called a few local BMW, Porsche and Merc dealers.
The same name came up twice, a pretty good sign.

I gave Altima Auto a call and arranged to take the jeep for a quote.
They offered to pick the jeep up, but it was still drivable, so not necessary.
By the way, the insurance company only required 1 quote, in the past in other countries it's always been at least 3, strange?

The shop manager (Manuel Pujols) at Altima takes a good look at the jeep and also shows me around the facilities. The place is pretty well organized, with a modern computer controlled spray booth, aligning jig etc, but more importantly lots of high end Jeeps, Mercs etc. That's a good sign, at least that must have an idea of what they are doing.

altima.jpg

2 days later Manuel (Altima) faxes me back a quote for my insurance company.
RD$104,000, I'm glad I have full insurance!

Couple of days later the insurance company gives me a call and informs me
everything is approved.

The Repair Job:
Altima had a few problems getting the right door from Santo Domingo Motors (Nissan Dealer) but eventually after 4 weeks it was all sorted out and they had all the parts.

Altima came and picked up the Jeep and told me they would need it for 7-10 days. No problem, fortunately I had access to another car.

I asked them to call me as the Jeep progressed so I could take photos for an
article that I would eventually write up on the complete experience.

4-5 days later they called me to say the Jeep was stripped down and getting ready to be sprayed. Altima is only 10 mins away from the office, so I drove over and took a few photos.

prep_1.jpg

prep_2.jpg

I'm no car expert, but I have been in enough shops to know if they are organised and have a clue. The prep work looked good and obviously the Puerto Rican chop guys they had working with them knew their stuff :)

3-4 days later Altima called me and said the Jeep was ready.
I drove over and had a good look at the Jeep. They had done an excellent job, one of th best spray jobs I have ever seen. The color match was perfect and no signs of over spray or that the Jeep had been in an accident.

after_1.jpg

after_2.jpg

Manuel gave me the keys and told me if I ever have a problem, bring it back and they will take care of it. I signed off on the the Jeep, I was very happy :)

When I was driving away I noticed a small nick in the arm rest on the passenger side. It must have happened when they was re-assembling the door. Emmmm :( Time for a u-turn and get them to replace or fix it.

No problem, bring the car back tomorrow and we will take care of it.
I took the car back the next day and they took care of it.

Overall Experience?
Excellent, took longer than I expected, but from the police report to picking
up the Jeep after it was repaired was hassle free.

I hear lots of horror stories here of insurance companies, bad repair jobs etc.
I guess it comes down to due diligence and sometimes paying to be fully covered with a reputable company.

I would without hesitation recommend Franco & Acro as a broker and Altima Auto if you need your car repaired.

Their details below:

Franco & Acra Tecniseguros S.A.
Av. Winston Churchill #32
Santo Domingo
Tel: (809) 535 8388

Altima Auto, S.A.
Calle Yaguajal esq. Resp. Yaguajal No. 1
Los Rios, Santo Domingo
Tel: (809) 238-0999

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Good report. I guess some things do work in the DR.

I'm curious, how much do pay for insurance; and was there a deductible (where you pay the first x pesos of the claim)?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Very informative post. I'm sure many will benefit from your experience. Especially the body shop and Insurance agency mentioned :classic: .

I would also be interested out of curiousity's sake about insurance prices.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
Good report. I guess some things do work in the DR.

I'm curious, how much do pay for insurance; and was there a deductible (where you pay the first x pesos of the claim)?

Deductable was RD$6,400 and I paid this direct to the repair shop.

My insurance is around US$1,200 per year.
I insure the Jeep in US$.

Yes, things can work well here. You just need to know how and who :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
Yes, things can work well here. You just need to know how and who :)
It's good to know you can avoid filling accident reports at the police station. Years ago, I had the "pleasure" of having to file a report at the police station. It was quite comical, but it took all day.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Robert referred me to this place after a bunch of damage to my car, great service, fantastic job on the car absolutely like new, and very little messing about with the insurance company, they really seem to have the place in order still.

Insurer was La Colonial and kudos to them too, they were very easy to deal with and didn't hold anything up.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert referred me to this place after a bunch of damage to my car, great service, fantastic job on the car absolutely like new, and very little messing about with the insurance company, they really seem to have the place in order still.

Insurer was La Colonial and kudos to them too, they were very easy to deal with and didn't hold anything up.

Glad it all worked out :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Robert... just saw this post since it was bumped up by the new comment. I'm curious to know how the repair... more to the point, the paint job held up over the years. About 4 years ago my wife had an unfortunate interlude with a deer on a highway one foggy morning in her 10 day old Accura TL. The shop we used (here in the U.S.) was one of the insurance company's preferred providers and we had used them before. The paint job ended up bubbling up the next summer... even to a non-pro, a very obvious defect in paint or application. Was repainted and bubbled up again. Was painted a third time. My reason for mentioning is that even in the "first world" U.S., with a reputable? shop, problems can happen.

How did yours hold up in the tropics?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I sold the jeep a while back, but the paint job held up just fine.

Altima have a computerized mixing system, spray booths, baking oven etc.
They are one of the better, if not the best shop in Santo Domingo.