Living Items........

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
Well as some as you may have read on my blog that i've been shopping with my mother for 'items' that i may need, and i was advised to ask advice on things that maybe i should get while still in the Uk that are either really expensive or not available in DR. So..... does anybody have ne ideas about what i should bring over..... and help would be very helpful, as my mum seems to think that i need EVERYTHING from the UK, and keeps buying me all this stuff which isn't going to fit in my ONE suitcase!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many of us live here and don't need items from the UK :)
You will find almost everything here, maybe more expensive and you might have to do some leg work to find it.

Tell us what you plan to bring and we will tell you if it's available.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Most of the necessities are here. Just bring whatever unique personal products you enjoy such as shampoo, deoderant, etc. Anything imported is expensive and Dominican equivalents are not equivalent. Also, bring sun-block and insect repellant as they are expensive here. Life in the DR is hard on footwear (rain, mud, rocks, etc.). Bring extra shoes as they don't last here. If you enjoy reading, bring a few paperbacks as they are also expensive here. Once you get settled you'll find out how Mom can send a monthly C.A.R.E. package.
Good luck

P.S. Graham in Sosua (at North Coast Diving) would pay his weight in gold (he's a big guy) for a few cans of Heinz beans. One of the commodities we can't get here.

Last edited:

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I found that I really missed a good orange pekoe tea. Every time I come I bring my own tea bags. i know, it's petty but I do like my cuppa every afternoon! ;)

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
food

HOWMAR said:
P.S. Graham in Sosua (at North Coast Diving) would pay his weight in gold (he's a big guy) for a few cans of Heinz beans. One of the commodities we can't get here.
haha i'll see what i can do. I've been speaking to a friend who lives in Santo domingo, and im bringing him a treacle sponge pudding in a tin, as i LOVE them, and keep talking about them, but he doens't know what they are!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert said:
Many of us live here and don't need items from the UK :)
You will find almost everything here, maybe more expensive and you might have to do some leg work to find it.

Tell us what you plan to bring and we will tell you if it's available.

Wow, Robert, where in Santo Domingo do you get your Weetabix, Warburton's crumpets and Marmite? And while I've got your attention, when are you going to put this girl's blog on the main index? ;)

Jelly, if there are any typically English things like the above that you can't live without, bring a personal supply. Otherwise most things are available in the DR. You may have to go to the larger cities for some speciality products, like English style tea, Indian lime pickle or vegetable stock cubes (if you are so inclined) but on the whole you will not be too deprived.

Having said that, I always stuff a couple of packets of makeup removal pads and washing up sponges in my luggage. They are available here, but I find that every time I run out, the supermarket has run out as well. I also bring some toiletries, not a whole year's supply but enough to last me a while before I have to replace them with what's available locally.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
heehee

Thanx for all the info, i think i've actually just about covered most things now, its just those random things that i wont remember until i get there and realise that i dont have it!! Thankfully im not a tea drinker so i wont be bothered by that!!

dprasociad

Feb 9, 2004
Tons of it if you have a fridge

jellylegs2002 said:

its just those random things

!

Marmite
Marmite
Marmite

Marmite
Marmite

NONE OF THAT:

ELECTRICALS or ELECTRONICS NOT ON 110 volts

Note that DR is not the jungle of Congo (Zaire)

The Foreign Legion is not too far also these days. They still rescue the odd damsel in distress once in a while!

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
marmite

well u know the good old saying " u either love it or u hate it" well i totally HATE it, so i wont be needing to worry about that little problem!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just as well, then!

BTW, the previous poster is mistaken about the fridge. Marmite does not need refrigeration until it has been opened. End of public service announcement.

dprasociad

Feb 9, 2004
Temperature Same as mayonaise!

Chirimoya said:
Just as well, then!

BTW, the previous poster is mistaken about the fridge. Marmite does not need refrigeration until it has been opened. End of public service announcement.

Agree 100 percent.

BUT I do not like the stuff the same way when it is at too hot a temperature.

Same for my pickle and me mustard. Like it better Kool-ish.

Fridge is a nice place to store a lot of stuff.

I even store my dirty pots and pans there,

That way the insects and fungi do not get at them .

Also great place for paint brush. No need to clean them.

As far as I know some may even warm it in the microwave.
Not for me

Thanks for the public annoucement.

Still you could bring some for the odd guest that may drop by .
Wuld make a nice gift.

dprasociad

Feb 9, 2004
Do not worry

jellylegs2002 said:
whay, didnt know i'd be having guests! lol

Your post are very sympatico.

I am sure lots of people will be there to help you settle in.

I am pretty sure you will make lots of friends on the Island.

Remember you are not going to another place or town in your country.

You will see that personal relation work on a different level.

More info.

Whatever your confort food is. Bring a lot of it or do not bring any.

But almost everything can be found on the island.
It is mostly a trade-off on price or quality that make it worth transporting or shipping to DR.

A long long time ago I was more finicky .

Today I find that I can survive on local stuff almost anywhere.
You get used to it.

JUST BE CAREFULL about about you eat and drink!

You will survive on goats tail soup if you need to do it.