rio san juan

greatmoorred

Aug 29, 2005
is this place a "real town" or just an A.I resort ?
and are the beaches any good ?
questions, questions.
thanks

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
greatmoorred said:
is this place a "real town" or just an A.I resort ?
and are the beaches any good ?
questions, questions.
thanks
It's a "real" town.

The largest resort in the area (Bahia Principe - San Juan) is between the towns of Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. The best beaches in the area are generally acknowledged to be Playa Caleton and Playa Grande. Both are very nice.

Gregg

greatmoorred

Aug 29, 2005
thanks guys. Yes im staying at the bahia principe.
All Inc' seems a bit TOO touristy for me, but i hope to get out and do some diving and hiking.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Best of Rio San Juan

It's a "real" town.

The largest resort in the area (Bahia Principe - San Juan) is between the towns of Gaspar Hernandez and Rio San Juan. The best beaches in the area are generally acknowledged to be Playa Caleton and Playa Grande. Both are very nice.

Gregg

Hi Gregg,

We only have one week in the AI resort, but we'd like to see something of the Dominican besides the beautiful beaches.

Do know the best bars/clubs (latin music) in Rio San Juan?
Best Dominican restaurant (with some vegetarian option)?
Places/things to see/experience? A market? a cafe? a place to have a beer and watch people?

Thanks,

Margaret

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Opppss!

Opps... the Dominican Republic
La Republica Dominicana

I guess it's wrong to say "the Dominican". Do you have a short form? I think I'm sticking my foot in mouth and I'm getting into deeper trouble.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to go to a country and spend all my time on the beach with other tourists, eating in the Mexican, Italian restaurants... but the package fit my budget. But I didn't have any idea this resort was so far from everything and getting a taste of life in the Dominican Republic might be difficult in Bahia Principe.

I speak some Spanish, I dance at least twice a week to bachata, merengue, salsa etc. here in Toronto and I'd like to go to a typical club if possible.
My daughter and I would like to come back to Toronto with some sense of what life is like in the Dominican Republic. ANd really the people and the culture are really what makes the country interesting, don't you think? And then the next time I'm dancing with someone from the Dominican Republic here in Toronto I'll have some appreciation for what they left behind.

Margaret

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Opps... the Dominican Republic
La Republica Dominicana

I guess it's wrong to say "the Dominican". Do you have a short form? I think I'm sticking my foot in mouth and I'm getting into deeper trouble.

The grammar police are merciless when you refer to this country as "The Dominican". The best short form is the DR.

Celt ;)
corporal
grammar police

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
The grammar police are merciless when you refer to this country as "The Dominican". The best short form is the DR.

Celt ;)
corporal
grammar police

IMHO. some people just need to get off their high horse. That is all.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'll keep it in mind... a bit anal retentive I guess.
Wait a minute is that spelt with a hyphen or without?

margaret
not yet TESOL certified

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'm learning lot's of new words here e.g. sanki, sanki-panki, sankipanklear!

Chopo? Dare I ask, what's that?

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/entry?lb=e&p=num:s6750

Conio! If someone could tell me where I can dance in Rio San Juan, I would be grateful and could get off the net and pack my bag.

Chopo means low class.

You can make the Spanish letter ? by holding down the ALT key and typing 164 in the numerical keypad at the lower right hand corner.

ALT + 164 = ?

co?o!

I wish I could help you with Rio San Juan but I've never been there. Have fun and remember that by reading DR1 forums you are officially Sankie innoculated. A trip report would be great if you have the time when you get back.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
We only have one week in the AI resort, but we'd like to see something of the Dominican besides the beautiful beaches.

Do know the best bars/clubs (latin music) in Rio San Juan?
Best Dominican restaurant (with some vegetarian option)?
Places/things to see/experience? A market? a cafe? a place to have a beer and watch people?

Thanks,

Margaret
Can any of you chopos help Margaret?

Margaret, are you coming tomorrow?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Mission Accepted

I wish I could help you with Rio San Juan but I've never been there. Have fun and remember that by reading DR1 forums you are officially Sankie innoculated. A trip report would be great if you have the time when you get back.

Yeah, having read the boards I feel I will be able to protect me and my daughter from the animation team. (I might have to dance with them though just to keep them at bay and distracted! Heee-ya! :ninja: ) But yes, I will venture into Rio San Juan and report back on my findings. Any strange reports and/or sightings over the week of a strange woman dancing at the carwash with 5 sankie-wannabees who are in her ESL/Spanish exchange group will not be able to be attributed to me in anyway I assure you!

Cheers!

Margaret

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
walkin

Just walk around town there Margaret. Compared to Toronto it is a super small town. Get your feet wet in the Gri Gri
Lagoon. West end of town is a nice little family restaurant in front of the
fishin' beach, looks like a 2-story house, white, eat upstairs....ask for Mami....always good fish. Night life is locallllll. But hang in a spot and if you don't like it, move on. How old is the daughter and will she go 'out' with you? If she's 16+ she'll be much sought after by the 'boyz n 'da hood.'
Stay sober (kinda) for at least the first 2 days before a major adventure.
Enjoy!! (Stay out of the pool halls)....a guy thang.
and disregard the anal ret. folks here who are hung up on what to call a place. They throw rocks all the time but all live in obviously highly fragile glass houses. Harmless for the most part....just bored I guess.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks

Just walk around town there Margaret. Compared to Toronto it is a super small town. Get your feet wet in the Gri Gri
Lagoon. West end of town is a nice little family restaurant in front of the
fishin' beach, looks like a 2-story house, white, eat upstairs....ask for Mami....always good fish. Night life is locallllll. But hang in a spot and if you don't like it, move on. How old is the daughter and will she go 'out' with you? If she's 16+ she'll be much sought after by the 'boyz n 'da hood.'
Stay sober (kinda) for at least the first 2 days before a major adventure.
Enjoy!! (Stay out of the pool halls)....a guy thang.
and disregard the anal ret. folks here who are hung up on what to call a place. They throw rocks all the time but all live in obviously highly fragile glass houses. Harmless for the most part....just bored I guess.

Thanks for the information, we'll definately check out the town. She's 21 and has this stunning beauty that I hope no one will notice... especially under her burka... the one that I'm going to bring down with us and make her wear. Thanks for the heads up!

Margaret