Wake up Leonel

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
Dear Mr. President, please wake up. You are the leader of a poor 3rd world country, not an international statesman. Stop the nonesense. Building an Island off the Malecone is at best a pipe dream. Hotels, and businesses located on the Malecone do not even want to recognize your nonesense. Stop the idea of a subway. Yes we need more public transportation, but a MONORAIL is more realistic. We know you will not be able to courrpt a monorail as easily as a subway, but come to your senses. Digging up the City for years to satisfy your ego is sinfull to say the least. Now you feel so important to want a world summit for oil. go back to your finca, and give us a break.. Your schools are 4th class in this 3rd world country, and you don?t give a damn about our kids. Tax more foods is insane. You try living on a $5,000 DR per month income with your new wife. In reality YOU go into a Super Market, that are owned by your friends, and see what we have to pay to eat simple basic foods. Stop you international traveling on our blood money, and straighten out your friends who are killing us with criminal prices, and banks that with your OK, are sucking out the few drops of blood we have left. You and Hippolito will go down in history as devils.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A little upset at Leonel are you, Porfirio? You only have him for 4 years. We have Bush for EIGHT. Wanna trade?
You are right about his politics, though. It is coming to light that artificially manipulating the peso and the absurd amount of taxes are finally hurting the DR where it counts-the decrease of tourism dollars. But I doubt they care very much about that.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
But Porfirio, take it easy..... not good for your health!!

We live on a "dream-island", you can not expect the leader of this great nation to wake up.......we all "dream along"!!!!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Left and right hotels are closing, 10 thousands of people lost their jobs (but we are proud to announce that a few hundred got a job) int.oilprices are lowering, but here they are raising, more taxes for taxes, next we only can fill at gasstations at goverment controlled hours and that is not going to work as well, lots of people will have gasoline bombs in their houses (filled up with cans of gasoline),

I would not be surprised is his next function is D......r

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
That's what happens when the ranks of professional politicians are filled with lawyers, doctors, professors and other liberal professions with lots of great ideas, big egos and mucho blablabla but no management experience and expertise to get things work.
It's the same allover the world but it hurts more in poor 3rd world countries.
just my 2c
Bartolomeo

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Porfirio said:
Dear Mr. President, please wake up.QUOTE]

You are a breath of fresh friggin' air. Clearly the man is better than Hipolito but I am less and less impressed with him as time goes on. I know this board is full of "Leonel Apologists" so please go back and read "Yes, he is better than Hipolito"....but Hipolito didn't exactly set the bar very high. Also, I know it will take him time. Hippo took 4 years to screw us and it can't be fixed over night.

Having said that, I have to also add that I agree with much of Porfirio's statement. With Leonel it is all about "Leonel". This term as President of the DR is nothing but a "stepping stone" for him. He'll be off to a useless job at the UN at the end of this one. Why not? Kofi Anan comes from a country that makes the DR look like Sweden and he's the Secretary General.

Leonel:

* He travels much more than he needs to. And I gotta say that in the recent pic of him with Bush he looked like a friggin' starstruck tourist. Your job is here and in such a small country your presence is needed and noticed.

* He pumped up his own importance/significance and that of the country by spending weeks giving speeches about how he would not "tolerate" any foreign "invasions". Puleeeze.

* He campaigned on how he would reduce the size and payroll of the government. Didn't happen. It grew.

* Malecon Island? Metro? Cyber University? How about working towards some more practical goals like making sure all the toilets flush...or that people have toilets....and electricity...and roads....and cops who can be trusted.....

The list goes on and on. I KNOW he is not a miracle worker. I KNOW he is working against an amazing amount of corrupt bastards. However, he has made some choices that he is too intelligent to not know how damaging they are. (Notice I didn't even get into education...which he also campaigned on.)

I'm not condemning the guy. I am just asking some questions and raising somepoints. And it's nice to see others do the same. This is what Democracy is all about. Ok. I give it one hour before I get blasted by some "Comesolo" who will tell me how wrong I am.

BTW: Save the comparisons to Blair, Bush, Chiraq, Howard, Martin, Schroeder etc. You cannot compare any of them to the DR. Being President here is like being the Mayor of a major city in the "first world". Bloomberg has more responsibility and resources than Leonel. Schwarzeneggar is the cheif executive of the 4th largest economy in the world. Both of them deal more with international factions than Leonel. So let's just stick to the DR.

OK......blast away......I'm ready.

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Berzin said:
You are right about his politics, though. It is coming to light that artificially manipulating the peso and the absurd amount of taxes are finally hurting the DR where it counts-the decrease of tourism dollars. But I doubt they care very much about that.
Has revenue from tourism decreased in the past 12 months? I realise DR1 reported that some hotels will be closing for the off-season, but they didn't say how many rooms. The hotel closings might also be a reflection of overbuilding in the last few years.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Good posts Porfirio & Scandall. Leonel grew the federal budget by 60% over Hippo's last year in office. Inflation in the same time period was less than 10%. How can this be justified? (I pound the table with both fists).I am glad that some are finally smelling a rat down in the steamy DR.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mondongo said:
Leonel grew the federal budget by 60% over Hippo's last year in office. Inflation in the same time period was less than 10%. How can this be justified?
I don't suppose any of the budget increase went to pay for propane and gasoline subsidies?

I'm don't believe I'm a "Leonel Apologists" as Scandall has alluded to, I'm just willing to wait a bit longer and see how things progress. (Although the economy in the DR is so closely tied to the US economy that I'm not sure how much he does actually matters).

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
I don't suppose any of the budget increase went to pay for propane and gasoline subsidies?

Rellosk, Just exactly how much does Leonel spend on subsidies? and did it increase or decrease from the previous year?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mondongo said:
Rellosk, Just exactly how much does Leonel spend on subsidies? and did it increase or decrease from the previous year?
I have no idea, I was just bringing it up as a possible reason for the budget going up.

project9

May 29, 2004
Building an Island off the Malecone is at best a pipe dream. Hotels, and businesses located on the Malecone do not even want to recognize your nonesense.

Last time i checked that was a private project ... so if that hasn't changed Leonel Fernandez has very little to do with that project.

Or are you suggesting that the goverment must be against the project and therefor forbid its construction?

Stop the idea of a subway.

That was just smoke and mirrors to entertain the press in the post-Hipo era of media boredom.

Yes we need more public transportation, but a MONORAIL is more realistic.

Agree 400% with you.

Tax more foods is insane.

If you think expanding the ITBIS base is insane i guess you have a better solution for the goverment to increase its fiscal revenues.

Stop you international traveling on our blood money, and straighten out your friends who are killing us with criminal prices

Let me see if i got that one correctly: you are suggesting that the goverment starts regulating prices in a (more or less) market economy?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Back when they were campagining I said that a future Leonel government would look a lot more like the Hippo government and not like his first period (96-2000).

It is baffling to me some of the things he's done lately. This latest announcement about conserving fuel is just plain ridiculous as all it will do is create a big hassle for people that own vehicles as well as a large black market. On the contrary, the initial result will be that people will buy up a lot more gas than usual as you now cannot fill up anytime you wish. Everyone will have a stock of gasoline in case they run out (I know I will).

Now we're back talking about the damn Metro...which I thought was a dead idea at this point. Not that I think this will ever come to fruiction, but it is just plain annoying when he keeps harping on it...Just drop it!!!

He'll will probably win another term...as there's no other choice at this point (hopefully Jaime David will run and win...a long shot). I just hope the business community puts enough pressure to not let him go too far off the deep end...

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
project9 said:
Last time i checked that was a private project ... so if that hasn't changed Leonel Fernandez has very little to do with that project.

Please tell me you actually don't believe this....and are just taking the contrarian view to spice up the thread...

If you do.....then hand me over your car keys, I can't let you drive under those conditions...and put down the spiked PLD Kool Aide...!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This one is easy

project9 said:
If you think expanding the ITBIS base is insane i guess you have a better solution for the goverment to increase its fiscal revenues.

Better solution would be strict enforcement of the existing traffic laws with fines to match. No new laws just enforce the dam things they have! Also saves gas as half of the vehicles will be off the road.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Porfirio said:
Dear Mr. President, please wake up. You are the leader of a poor 3rd world country, not an international statesman. Stop the nonesense. Building an Island off the Malecone is at best a pipe dream. Hotels, and businesses located on the Malecone do not even want to recognize your nonesense. Stop the idea of a subway. Yes we need more public transportation, but a MONORAIL is more realistic. We know you will not be able to courrpt a monorail as easily as a subway, but come to your senses. Digging up the City for years to satisfy your ego is sinfull to say the least. Now you feel so important to want a world summit for oil. go back to your finca, and give us a break.. Your schools are 4th class in this 3rd world country, and you don?t give a damn about our kids. Tax more foods is insane. You try living on a $5,000 DR per month income with your new wife. In reality YOU go into a Super Market, that are owned by your friends, and see what we have to pay to eat simple basic foods. Stop you international traveling on our blood money, and straighten out your friends who are killing us with criminal prices, and banks that with your OK, are sucking out the few drops of blood we have left. You and Hippolito will go down in history as devils.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Does anybody really think that it is even remotely possible to get to be President (twice) of one of the most corrupt countries in the world without a good measure of corruption?

Does anybody really think there is anybody in the DR government that actually cares about the DR? (Enough to sacrifice political and monetary gain for it)
What were you guys expecting?