Teaching English in Puerto Plata

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Hello there, I recently took a trip to Dominican Republic and I truely enjoyed my stay there. I loved it so much i would consider living there. I live in Canada and I speak and read in english I also know Portuguese which helps with some spanish. Does anyone know what would the process would be to become a teacher or to work in the tourist industry. Being young and full of life i would consider moving for a time to get away from the hussle and busle of the canadian lifestyle in a major city. Anyone with any helpful commets would be helpful. ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
DoraRocks316 said:
Hello there, I recently took a trip to Dominican Republic and I truely enjoyed my stay there. I loved it so much i would consider living there. I live in Canada and I speak and read in english I also know Portuguese which helps with some spanish. Does anyone know what would the process would be to become a teacher or to work in the tourist industry. Being young and full of life i would consider moving for a time to get away from the hussle and busle of the canadian lifestyle in a major city. Anyone with any helpful commets would be helpful. ;)

Hi and welcome to DR1!
The best you can do is to read and read all topics of this messageboard. It is a treasure when it comes to information about living, working in DR.

I truly understand that you enjoyed your stay here, and that life seems easier and so simple here.
But you must also keep in mind that it is a completely different culture, a completely different economical system etc. etc.
Salaries are low, and that is IF you can get a job.
The tourism industry hires foreigners mostly on commission salaries, such as selling excursions or working at vacationclubs if you have specific language skills.
Teaching with fixed employment, at an international school, would require full education and degree. To find your own pupils for private teaching is possible and most people would pay 100-200 pesos an hour. BUT that would be hard and you would still be in a rat race.
SO, read, learn about the culture, the costs of living, the salaries if you would get a job etc. Do your homework, and come back with specific questions in any area. There are many, many members here on the board that lives here in different parts of the island, that work with different things and that have experience and knowledge to share.

You must remember though, that it is not only about getting away from something, it is also arriving to a reality that you would need to adapt, survive and live in.