Any computer geeks out there?

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
If anyone has any expertise and would PM me, my computer is acting very wierd. All is fine except internet WHEN I HAVE TO INPUT DATA. If I go to a search engine and try to type in a search, the computer won't accept any data. The curser doesn't appear in the entry box, and the typing doesn't show up. Otherwise, it works ok (like if I go to MSN home page and click on an article, it will take me to it, etc.) The problem is only if I have to type something, like, e.g. my user name or password in Yahoo, hotmail, or Banco Popular on-line. Just won't accept any data or even register the curser! Any suggestions?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
DogsRule said:
If anyone has any expertise and would PM me, my computer is acting very wierd. All is fine except internet WHEN I HAVE TO INPUT DATA. If I go to a search engine and try to type in a search, the computer won't accept any data. The curser doesn't appear in the entry box, and the typing doesn't show up. Otherwise, it works ok (like if I go to MSN home page and click on an article, it will take me to it, etc.) The problem is only if I have to type something, like, e.g. my user name or password in Yahoo, hotmail, or Banco Popular on-line. Just won't accept any data or even register the curser! Any suggestions?

Try go in "start" and chose "help & support" and then "system restore", chose a date that is before the computer started to act weird, when you have the option to chose a date, and hopefully it will be gone.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DogsRule said:

spyware... Have you scanned your computer with updated definitions?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You might have to go into safe mode to resolve the problem, specially if it's a virus.
If you live in the Sosua area, give me a buzz.
I bet we can kill the monster living in your computer.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Answer these questions and Rocky and I can possibly fix this for you online.
Tell us which operating system you are on? If you are on XP, please do not restore. If this is a virus, malware, spyware or crimeware, the bad code usually hides itself in the XP roll-back files. A restore will make the problem worse.
Tell us which malware software / virus software you have loaded. Example, Macafee virusscan or Spybot search and destroy.

Update your virusscan definitions and scan your computer for virusses. Update your malware/spyware definitions and scan your computer for malware/spyware. Turn your computer off, and then on again and scan again. See if you can set your malware/spyware software to scan on boot. If the scanners find anything, let them repair it. Then tell us what happens. Some bad code needs more than one malware scanner as none of these catch everything.

I assume your keyboard is working? Note that this process is good for XP. If you are running another operating system, let us know. If it is a virus/malware, this all is step one.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
carina said:
That is always number 1... if it doesn?t work, do a restore.

Problem is that if it is a virus or spyware, there is a chance that it is also present in the previous backup.

Try this link for a free virus scanner: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

Here is a free spyware removal:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Here is a free spyware preventor: You just need to run this once and update it once in a while:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wag said:
Problem is that if it is a virus or spyware, there is a chance that it is also present in the previous backup.

Try this link for a free virus scanner: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

Here is a free spyware removal:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Here is a free spyware preventor: You just need to run this once and update it once in a while:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Most modern virus' attack the system restore area as well, to ensure you cannot easily get rid of it.
Logging on in "safe mode" will help you install, remove, kill virus, etc.
Those links you gave are excellent.
I use all 3 of them and a few other devices to help speed up & protect my PC's.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Oh My God

I hate to tell you what an uninformed user I am. I am using XP. I do suspect it is something in the restore b/c that's when the computer crashed initially--when I tried to go back to restore an earlier date b/c my HP Photo program wasn't opening. When I did that, it crashed completely and the icons would not come on my computer desktop. A friend of a friend came over and got some driver file that it said it was missing,browseui.dll, reinstalled, and then the icons came back. But with the new problem described in the op. I don't know which malware/software virus/software I have installed. I think it is Norton antivirus. I also don't know how to do the scan and updates that you suggested. I also don't know how to start-up in safe mode. I'm in Puerto Plata, not Sosua.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DogsRule said:
I hate to tell you what an uninformed user I am. I am using XP. I do suspect it is something in the restore b/c that's when the computer crashed initially--when I tried to go back to restore an earlier date b/c my HP Photo program wasn't opening. When I did that, it crashed completely and the icons would not come on my computer desktop. A friend of a friend came over and got some driver file that it said it was missing,browseui.dll, reinstalled, and then the icons came back. But with the new problem described in the op. I don't know which malware/software virus/software I have installed. I think it is Norton antivirus. I also don't know how to do the scan and updates that you suggested. I also don't know how to start-up in safe mode. I'm in Puerto Plata, not Sosua.
OK. That's clear enough.
If you bring it here to Sosua, just the PC, nothing else, we can either cure it or re-install XP over the old one.
If you have your own XP disk, bring it along, if not, we have one here.
There is a good chance that it can be healed without re-installing, of course, but if you are not familiar with PC's and do not know how to get into safe mode, you may have a lot of trouble doing it yourself.
The other alternative is to take it to a technician, but they may just wipe everything out and you could lose all your files.
It may be worth the ride to Sosua.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Take it to Rocky's... or to a computer tech. You'll be happy in the end if you take it to Rocky's.. and you'll be less happy if you take it to a computer tech...

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Ok, my husband is home now

and he showed me that we have Spybot Search and Destroy that he downloaded from Microsoft. He is running a scan now.

Rocky said:
OK. That's clear enough.
If you bring it here to Sosua, just the PC, nothing else, we can either cure it or re-install XP over the old one.
If you have your own XP disk, bring it along, if not, we have one here.
There is a good chance that it can be healed without re-installing, of course, but if you are not familiar with PC's and do not know how to get into safe mode, you may have a lot of trouble doing it yourself.
The other alternative is to take it to a technician, but they may just wipe everything out and you could lose all your files.
It may be worth the ride to Sosua.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
We are attempting to do

what you said to do. We'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Chris said:
Answer these questions and Rocky and I can possibly fix this for you online.
Tell us which operating system you are on? If you are on XP, please do not restore. If this is a virus, malware, spyware or crimeware, the bad code usually hides itself in the XP roll-back files. A restore will make the problem worse.
Tell us which malware software / virus software you have loaded. Example, Macafee virusscan or Spybot search and destroy.

Update your virusscan definitions and scan your computer for virusses. Update your malware/spyware definitions and scan your computer for malware/spyware. Turn your computer off, and then on again and scan again. See if you can set your malware/spyware software to scan on boot. If the scanners find anything, let them repair it. Then tell us what happens. Some bad code needs more than one malware scanner as none of these catch everything.

I assume your keyboard is working? Note that this process is good for XP. If you are running another operating system, let us know. If it is a virus/malware, this all is step one.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You may have to rebuild the system from scratch. But first try to reinstall XP over the existing one. I don't think this is going to work but you can try. After you have it working again...switch to Firefox as your browser and you will never have to worry about the internet crashing your computer again. Well...Never say never...but trust me...you will like Firefox.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Your PC is full of Spyware

Your PC is probably having troubles with spyware. It is common when you usually use the internet. Try with a software called Ad-Adware. You can download it free. But, I'll recommend you to buy the Plus version. You can download it from: www.lavasoft.com.

If your problems is not solve with this solution maybe your PC could have a virus not detected for your antivirus. Maybe you should have to use another antivirus. You can try with Panda antivirus. They have a free antivirus online in this page: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

If your troubles persist, maybe you will have to reinstall your Windows .

My regards,

Eddyx

Spyware

There are new spybots out there that even Sybot, Lavaware, Webroot and others cannot detect, one is an exploit that loads Sogoooogle.com as your home page, this enters via a hijack, one tough one to get rid of.

With XP there is a method of doing a restore that will take your computer back to exactly how it came from the manuafacturer, the problem with this is you will lose everything on your hard drive that has been put in since you got, you will have to do a lot of burning to save the files and pics etc and reinstall all after market software. But it does work, I spent 6 days on my ole computer burning of data then reinstalling after doiung the roll back to manufacturer specs.

Rewriting XP over the existing XP may work but there is the chance that the file which likely is hidden will remain.

mi dos peso's

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To conclude..

We have resolved the problem with this PC.
As it was so infected that the virus could replicate faster than we could kill it, we had to overlap an older XP over the one installed, update it, transfer all documents saved, before the re-installation.
As it stands right now, we have overcome all the glitches associated with the new installation, and have but one problem left to resolve, as we have lost the driver for the Creative Audigy SB0230 sound card.
If anybody can help us get the driver, not an update, but the actual driver, it would be greatly appreciated.
PS: For those who are interested, this virus would not permit any info to be written onto an internet page, nor be able to right click on the mouse and get a copy/paste window.
Thus, one could not even sign into an e-mail account.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
There are website forums where you can go that are specific to solving problems such as this. I will try to find a good one later on. But these guys can find you any driver if it exist. Try typing in "Software Driver Forum" or "Computer Repair Forum". I would google it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Snuffy said:
There are website forums where you can go that are specific to solving problems such as this. I will try to find a good one later on. But these guys can find you any driver if it exist. Try typing in "Software Driver Forum" or "Computer Repair Forum". I would google it.
I gave it my best shot and failed.
I am no computer geek and I already have almost 24 hours of labour invested in this PC.
So now, I am hoping that someone can get me the driver or find it for me.
If not, I am suggesting to the owner to buy another sound card that comes with it's driver.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky said:
I gave it my best shot and failed.
I am no computer geek and I already have almost 24 hours of labour invested in this PC.
So now, I am hoping that someone can get me the driver or find it for me.
If not, I am suggesting to the owner to buy another sound card that comes with it's driver.

Try turning the flugle switch on and off. If that doesn't work you should adjust the finnegin pin.

Of course, it could be the ball bearings. It's all ball bearings these days.

Scandall