VCR inverter compatibility

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
It seems that my old JVC 6 Heads VCR doesn't work well with myTrace DR3624 inverter.
Does anybody knows which VCR's work flawlessly with a Trace inverter or any trick to make my VCR work (like a line filter).

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Aguayo said:
It seems that my old JVC 6 Heads VCR doesn't work well with myTrace DR3624 inverter.
Does anybody knows which VCR's work flawlessly with a Trace inverter or any trick to make my VCR work (like a line filter).

Thanks in advance,
Ben
I know of no trick to make your old VCR work properly with your inverter, but I can tell you that I have had many VCR's hooked up to my Trace inverters and all of them performed flawlessly.
If you are stuck on keeping your JVC, you can buy a Xantrex/Trace "inverter" (it's actually a converter, as it does not charge the batteries) at PriceSmart for 1,299 pesos.
It's a 400 watt table top model, specifically designed to operate electronics.
You would have to wire it up to 2 of you batteries, totalling 12 volts.
The unit handles 400 watts of continuous power and surges up to 700 watts.
It has a digital display that shows you power consumption in watts, power output in volts, and remaining power in your batteries in DC volts.
The only problem you would run into is if your batteries are really far away from your VCR and it forces you to run a lot of extra wiring.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Given the price of new VCR's is cheaper than a case of beer, maybe it is time for a new VCR.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It would be helpful if you could describe the non-compatible behavior your VCR is showing you that makes you think it's having trouble getting along with the inverter.

Because I find it unlikely that your VCR is having trouble with your inverter.

If your VCR is acting oddly while running, you may observe that this is happenning mostly when the street power is on, and most likely your VCR is responding to low voltage and/or voltage fluctuations in the street current. Since the current is passing straight through your inverter unaltered, the inverter has nothing to do with it.

If your VCR is resetting itself when the inverter kicks in and out you may find that the house wiring is not properly grounded, or maybe that your VCR is resetting itself to protect from voltage problems, as some higher-end electronics do. (I have a receiver that does this)

Only if your VCR is exhibiting strange behavior while your house is running on inverter power would you conclude that there is a compatibility issue between your VCR and your inverter's modified sine wave output. Even if this is the case, you might want to check and see if you have any heavy loads on the inverter such as a water pump or a large refrigerator, or even a 110v AC unit, and if the timing of these appliances kicking in and out corresponds to the issues you are having with your VCR. If this is the case then you have a poor installation using wiring that can't quite handle the surge in amperage.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
I also think that is time for a new VCR, but I was afraid I may get the same problem with new one.

I don't have street power here Mr Mike, only inverter or planta power.
The VCR vertical sinchronicity fails and also the image is distorted when no other heavy loads are on the line powered by the inverter.

Since I didn't find the VCR's I like in Santiago I think I will try to purchase one online in Amazon.com, since it is not expensive the risk is not great.

Ben

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well it is entirely possible that I was wrong.

Thought I could help, too bad they don't have stores here that will let you return something just because you don't like it - although I'd guess that you stand a pretty good chance of getting it right the first time it will be frustrating if you don't.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Aguayo said:
I also think that is time for a new VCR, but I was afraid I may get the same problem with new one.

I don't have street power here Mr Mike, only inverter or planta power.
The VCR vertical sinchronicity fails and also the image is distorted when no other heavy loads are on the line powered by the inverter.

Since I didn't find the VCR's I like in Santiago I think I will try to purchase one online in Amazon.com, since it is not expensive the risk is not great.

Ben
Have you tried bringing your VCR to someone else's house who has a 3624 and try it there?