1-800 numbers

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I know it has been mentioned here many times but i cannot find any links for it. Can anyone help me with the conversion of the toll free numbers. Thanks

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
When calling from a Verizon Line Phone..........

If 800 use 880
If 888 use 881
If 866 use 882
If 877 use 883

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
None

JDJones said:
and you'll get a message telling you the correct prefix to dial for your number..
It probably will not be toll free, however, very few toll free numbers in the DR are free..

None of the 1-8xx series numbers are free calls from the DR to the USA, and they will be charged at the international rate.

The only way these can be placed free of charge is using USA direct phones at places like Jaragua here in SD I am sure there are others but dont know the locations

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
almost all 800 #s are not toll free from DR except delta airline number (100% free). I think they charge 10 pesos / minute to dial 800 toll free american number from DR lines.
Now here is a trick: get skype.com and open up an account with them. Now you are free to dial 1800 numbers and pay zero. Yes, 100% free calling to USA and canada. You dial ex: +1800 221 1212 and you are connected.
Sometimes you will get a message that lines are busy or you can't dial this number from here etc. Just ignore all that and try again until you get connected.
Enjoy free 1800 number from DR.
AZB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
AZB, You are MY HERO.
I have, on many occasions (mainly IRS oriented) found it necessary to use the 1-800 numbers published.
I dial up, then wait for indeterminate periods of time for the connection to go through, THEN, wait some more to get to the party I wish to speak to. Last time was a 1:30 wait for an IRS agent to respond. That got expensive real fast.
I am signing up with the cited web site as soon as I get finished here!

Thanks again for the reference.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
BG Question?????

Does Skype also charge their connect service/per/minute for calls that are NOY completed?? IE: busy, no answer, etc?
Verizon makes a TON on uncompleted international calls wherein athe call is not completed. They STILL charge the 10 pesos/min regardless.

Texas Bill

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
windeguy said:
As AZB pointed out, SKYPE works great when using your computer to call US 800 type numbers in the US. FREE is always good. SKYPE is also free to call other people with SKYPE on their computers.

SKYPE also has a pay as you go service that is very reasonable and is a potential alternative to those considering Vonage to call the US and other countries. It is about 2.4 cents per minute to call a regular US phone (and a group of other countries) for example. When I call my mom back home, she tells me they are the clearest calls she has gotten. With SKYPE you do have to call using a computer and preferably a DSL connection.

It is not cheaper to use SKYPE to call phones here in the DR. Verizon has probably made sure of that.

how is skype free to call 1800 #'s in the US if they say it's free only if you call others who have skype?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You are right AZB few minutes ago I called to Delta 1-800-221-1212, To call another 1-800 numbers from DR is more expensive than to call to a nomal number, so if you need to call to 1-800 number from DR and need to replace the prefix to complete the call you better get the local number within USA and you will save 50% of your call. Normally to call to USA from DR cost about 5.00 pesos from a wireline, and from wireless same price as a local call.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
I have Skype and have been trying to dial an 800 number all weekend. IT IS AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I'll wait half-an-hour for the service to pick up, then lose my connection. But more often than not, they just can't HEAR me!!! I cannot recommend against using this service enough.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
scotpgot said:
I have Skype and have been trying to dial an 800 number all weekend. IT IS AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I'll wait half-an-hour for the service to pick up, then lose my connection. But more often than not, they just can't HEAR me!!! I cannot recommend against using this service enough.
You are having personal problems with skype. I use it everyday and it works like a charm. You must have DSL not dialup, a late model powerful decent computer, not pentium 3 or 2 or your Pc from highschool days. The mic has to be configured and all tested. This you must dial like this +1800-xxx-xxxx
thats all. the call may not go through depending on the server you connect to but keep redialing and you will connect. Disregard any recorded messages from phone company.
Skype works like a real phone and connects in an instant.
AZB