Electricity and Sosua

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In my sector in Santo Domingo, we are getting 5-6hr blackouts daily.
A couple of days last week we had 12-14hr blackouts.

It hasn't been this bad since Hippo.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Chris said:
I hear that Sosua is experiencing very long blackouts... Is this happening anywhere else?
Puerto Plata
Santo Domingo
New Orleans USA
Bagdad, Iraq

The last two have an excuse. The first two due to DR politicians.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
I hear that Sosua is experiencing very long blackouts... Is this happening anywhere else?
Not only are the blackouts frequent and long, but the voltage is very low.
I guess if the Hippo had not left us in such a mess, we wouldn't be going through these problems.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mmmm, and the exchange rate is moving - I think we just got a little cost of living increase, which we'll probably be spending on generators soon...

What do y'all think? A temporary thing or are we back in Hippo times? Is the meltdown starting?

Something that I do not understand is why we are getting oil price increase... (I am not knowledgable about oil stuff).. I thought we were getting sufficient under good terms from Chavez? All this is not feeling so good!

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's way more simple than that.
The country's coffers have been depleted by El Burro, now we have little money for luxuries, like 24 hour electricity.
It will get better, but, anyone who thinks that Leonel's 4 year term is enough to repair all the damage done, is dreaming.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
It will get better, but, anyone who thinks that Leonel's 4 year term is enough to repair all the damage done, is dreaming.

Thing is, I'm an optimist... and I cannot really see it getting better... for the man in the street that is (including me...). I was totally willing to give Leonel a fair.. heck even an unfair opportunity.. anything is better than El Burro.. But my optimism is waning... Lots of good press, lots of good stories, but reality in the streets... two stories.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chris said:
Thing is, I'm an optimist... and I cannot really see it getting better... for the man in the street that is (including me...). I was totally willing to give Leonel a fair.. heck even an unfair opportunity.. anything is better than El Burro.. But my optimism is waning... Lots of good press, lots of good stories, but reality in the streets... two stories.

Unfortunately you are right Chris...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
It's way more simple than that.
The country's coffers have been depleted by El Burro, now we have little money for luxuries, like 24 hour electricity.

I agree with Rocky. And on top of everything else, fuel prices are now going sky high. This is causing serious problems for the president and government of every oil-using country.

If the country can't see the big picture and is already writing Leonel off, there is no hope this country will ever get on top of its problems.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Somthing is wrong

If i sell electricity i do that to make some money
My nr1 clients are those who have a meter and can pay for it.
As "social" feeling i "drip" some to the poor

Now we have to reduce the cost

What would you do ??
Just shut off everybody so you use less fuel??

The Dominican Answer is YES !!

And therefore we did not see any lights (except candles and plantas) between Rio San Juan , Sabaneta, Moca.
No cold drinks in a colmado

Every, even the not-so-bright businessman in the world would only cut-off the social group, and he can collect from the others.

So if an electricity company in this country is complaining, BIG B.S.,
Blackouts for PAYING clients is NOT a solution for a better result.
They only pay when the meter is running, so keep that meter running and make some money !!!!!!!!

And there is still al law, (but without proper schooling you cannot read it), that states that: for every hour without electricity they have to give you 1 hour for free (am i correct?)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
I agree with Rocky. And on top of everything else, fuel prices are now going sky high. This is causing serious problems for the president and government of every oil-using country.

If the country can't see the big picture and is already writing Leonel off, there is no hope this country will ever get on top of its problems.

That's why I'm asking about the sweetheart oil deal with Chavez? Is oil prices going sky high for us? (yes, I do know we're running out of oil generally... but that aside for the moment), the two events, very little electricity and the peso starting to slip happening at the same time, do not seem like a co-incidence to me. So, is the oil price the flashpoint here, or something else?

And your second point Ken, many of us can probably see a bigger picture (if it makes sense).. but many locals probably cannot - and for me, the bigger picture just lately has stopped making sense... Kinda like Dunhill says -- something is wrong.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Has anyone received those refunds that edesor, nor,est, have to make? It seemed like a step in the right direction but maybe just another revenue gathering scheme by the government.