The sixty peso electricity bill, or - EdeSur cooks the meter

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, not a museum exhibit from the last century, but our electricity bill which arrived today.

Some background: a few weeks ago Mr C noticed the cable leading to our house was sparking, and some electro-domestic gadgets in our house started to go wrong. He has been on the phone to EdeSur several times, asking them to come and look at the fault, but to no avail. Each time they say they are definitely sending someone on a specific day, but no one turns up.

A few days ago Mr C realised there was something wrong with the meter. This was confirmed with the arrival of today's bill. Grand total 60-something pesos. Not quite poetic justice. It just about compensates for the loss of a fan, but doesn't quite pay for the ailing UPS.

The next thing that will happen is that we will be prosecuted for 'stealing electricity' by cooking the meter. If you read DR1 news today you'll see they really mean business now and are definitely going to start clamping down severely on all the people who do that.

In other news, Chancho Airways are about to start their new service to Puerco Rico from the new airport at La Isabela.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You certainly can! The house is for sale and the meter gets thrown in for no extra charge.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update

EdeSur paid us a visit yesterday, but not in response to our many phone calls. They were carrying out a routine check, to ensure that the meters in the neighbourhood are not being tampered with. I explained our situation and pointed out that the meter wasn't working. We just happened to be in the midst of an apagon so the technician could not verify it. He said he would send someone round later once the power was back. When this person came and checked, the verdict was that there was nothing wrong with the meter. The reading hasn't changed since yesterday.

Thanks so much, EdeSur. We don't know what we have done to deserve free electricity, but we're enjoying it while it lasts. :rolleyes:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Chirimoya, you made me laugh

I read your OP with some fear that the hammer would come slamming down on your fingers, but it didn't!!

How wonderful. Be sure to keep a record of your calls and to whom you spoke...JIC

A friend of mine and I enjoyed your last poast and we sat there grinning...

WAY TO GO Mr. & Mrs. C...:p:p:p

HB :D:D:D

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
You're in the Sh*t!

This happened to me - I told EdeNorte that the meter was faulty and it took them six months to replace it. Then came the "you've been winding the meter back" story. They turned up mob handed with "heavies" ready to deal with trouble. Anyhow, it's all documented in past posts right here on DR1 - they gave me a bill for something like 38000 pesos.

Believe me - they WILL fu%k you over.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a real possibility, I know.

Every time we've called we've recorded the times and names of the people we speak to.

Our lawyer is aware of the situation, and it's probably time to consider taking it higher than the customer service operators who take our calls and do nothing about it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
update

I am laughing on the other side of my face this morning.

Since yesterday afternoon the voltage has been so low we can't run the fridge or the water pump. I haven't even tried the washing machine, blender or microwave. The water heater which is 220V is working normally but as there is practically no water left in the tinaco it is of no consequence. We keep calling EdeSur and they say they are on their way, but we have no illusions that they will. After all, we've been calling them since August 11th with no results.

It being the weekend it has been difficult to get hold of our usual electricians, and Mr C has been fiddling with things which makes me very uneasy. He has now gone off in search of a friend - it remains to be seen whether he can help.

There is a power cut at the moment and things work much better with the inverter, though not the fridge or the pump.

Until further notice, it is advisable not to come too near...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
EdeSur have just been and gone. They sorted out the problem in under 10 mins.
The Chiri family can now leave the ranks of the great unwashed.;)

As for the meter, watch this space.