Army and gas?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sometimes I look at the photos in the local newspapers and just shake my head.

Can you imagine being a tourist, riving a rental car and needing gas at 8pm.

What a great image for the country, some army grunt with a gun telling you no.

army_gas.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree, it's a completely useless way of saving petrol as well. Someone posted last week that one single thing that would make all the difference would be 24hr power supply and that would eliminate the need for people to buy additional gas for generators, which must make up a significant percentage of fuel sales, diesel anyway.

I would not complain too much if I could choose one, or even two days in the week when my car was off the road, which I do anyway, but I can see how this would be a problem for many people.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yeah good point about the generators.

I just don't see how consumption of gas would go down with the current 8 pm deadline. The occasional guy who forgot to gas up during the day? once people get used to this, they just gas up during the day, it wont make consumption go down.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Conchman said:
yeah good point about the generators.

I just don't see how consumption of gas would go down with the current 8 pm deadline. The occasional guy who forgot to gas up during the day? once people get used to this, they just gas up during the day, it wont make consumption go down.
And, in fact all the gas station employees who are not working the night hours are probably out driving motoconchos to make a few pesos.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I arrive sat afternoon

and i begged Gypsy to have a half tank in my car. If not (usually it is on empty) I will have enough to get home and wait till Monday :cry:

"what are they thinking, like they forgot about tourists!!""""

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Also I highly doubt the soldiers are walking to and from the gas stations to enforce this law, so really they are using more gas than otherwise and increasing unemployment at the same time.

Since it is painfully obvious to even the most casual observer that

1) this measure does not save any gas and that
2) this measure is directly causing MORE people to lose jobs

What do you think the real reason for it is?

What do you want to bet Leonel is just trying to have some way to brag to the world that he is taking drastic measures (regardless of how ineffective they may be) to conserve energy?

After all, it's not how much energy you actually save that counts, it's how many people you piss off trying to save it that shows how serious you are.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A new old business.

When I first moved her and gas stations were scarce, it was quite common to see roadside stands, selling gallons of gas in old water bottles.
The price per gallon at that time was 20 pesos at the regular stations and 25 at the roadside stands.
I bet we'll be seeing them spring up all over the place in no time at all.
If a person charges an extra 25 pesos/gallon, all they need to sell per day is 10 gallons to make more than the average Dominican laborer.

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
I heard the tinacos are been selling like hot cakes last days :)

may be government is nervous and they cannot think clearly.