Am I being scammed?

M

Mr.Mark

I thought I could use some of you poster's insights and orientation on a problem that I anticipate is going to come my way.

Okay, here's the thing: I ordered a pair of books through Amazon.com and they were shipped to my CPS address in Miami (http://www.cps-dom.com/main_en.php). Upon tracking for my package on their website I noticed that its already in its way to Santo Domingo after being received in Miami last Monday.

I know that the dimensions for my package should be 12"x9"x4", but I saw on their website that they have it with the dimensions of 1x1x1. It doesn't state the measure unit of these dimensions, but I guess they're talking about feet.

Can they do that? Can they "round up" -though that wouldn't be mathematically rounding up- the dimensions to 1 feet? I know I am right in that I'm not supposed to pay for volumetric weight, but I want to know if I'm legally right. Nowhere in the contract I signed say they will round up -though that wouldn't be mathematically rounding up- the dimensions of one package.

Does anyone has anything to say?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I'd say wait until it arrives. They may have a mininum size and use feet. Not much you can do anyway.

M

Mr.Mark

ricktoronto said:
I'd say wait until it arrives. They may have a mininum size and use feet. Not much you can do anyway.

I was thinking I could sue them for not providing that information.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
Over the shipping costs for a book? This lawsuit wouldn't fly in a US court so it certainly won't fly in a Dominican court.

M

Mr.Mark

HOWMAR said:
Over the shipping costs for a book? This lawsuit wouldn't fly in a US court so it certainly won't fly in a Dominican court.

Why not? Don't you think I'm in my right?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
Why not? Don't you think I'm in my right?
It doesn't matter whether or not you are right. When I said this wouldn't fly in a US court, I meant who is going to pay filing fees (probably at least $25.00), costs of serving the complaint, transportation to and from courthouse, etc. In addition to the time and effort fo fill out the complaint (figuring you are going to do this in small claims court as no attorney would touch this small a case). If you want to invest a few hundred dollars in time, money and effort to recoup your loss which you aren't even sure will occur, God bless you. You don't go to court for principal. You go if it financially figures.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
HOWMAR said:
It doesn't matter whether or not you are right. When I said this wouldn't fly in a US court, I meant who is going to pay filing fees (probably at least $25.00), costs of serving the complaint, transportation to and from courthouse, etc. In addition to the time and effort fo fill out the complaint (figuring you are going to do this in small claims court as no attorney would touch this small a case). If you want to invest a few hundred dollars in time, money and effort to recoup your loss which you aren't even sure will occur, God bless you. You don't go to court for principal. You go if it financially figures.

let him file lawsuit against amazon and let him wait months and months in court proceedings and pay $$$ and get nowhere.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh Lord!

It's funny that you can even "hint" about taking legal action because of a book package overchage!

Once upon a time I bought a laptop from an EBay seller.

He charged me $ 34.00 for shipping and handling.

When the laptop arrived, I noticed that HE only paid $ 25.00 to have it shipped to me. Wow, he "stole" 9.00 from me.

What did I do?. I sent him an email thanking him for the great laptop and, in a funny way, reminded him that he overcharged me on the S&H.

What did he do?. He replied to my email saying that it was a flat rate that did not included the packing and the time that it took him to drive to the post office. I replied that it was "bullcrap" but that I was so happy with the laptop that it really did not mattered. I thanked him again.

A few days later, I received an email from him selling me a laptop battery. The battery retail price was 89.99 and he was going to give it to for 20.00 just for not giving him hell about the S&H charge. Thank God that I did not "burned" that brigde. The battery is still working "dandy".

So far I have bought 3 more laptops from him and countless of other computer "stuff" and not only is he not overcharging me, but he is selling me things even cheaper than what some people are bedding for his same items on EBay!!.

Bootm line, yes, it's your right to sue them after you get your package but just be warned that that 10-25 dollars that you think that they will overcharge you, could turn to thousands in legal fees. Not including the time consumed and the headaches!!.

Good luck!.

Btw, I have bought alot of other things online and it's my opinion that THEY ALL overcharge!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Heyy!!

rellosk said:
NO it isn't his right. This is a case a caveat emptor.
Hey buddy, let him think that he can. I know and you know that it's nonsense. Maybe he is serious. As in "sing along", "play along"!!.

Btw, "it's people' right to sue whomever they want. It does not means that the sue has any merits and that it would not be thrown out with a few laughs from the judge, if it gets that far" so said my lawyer cousin in NYC!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
HOWMAR said:
And Miguel, what did you think the H in S&H meant?
I know what it means but come on, the guy packed something in his home that took him 2 minutes to pack and went to the post office that he, himself, claimed that it was on his way to work.

Btw, I did not make a big deal of it. I just reminded the guy. Since he knew that I was aware, he has not overcharged me again. Not once!. You would be amazed how those 34.00 dollars S&H, all of a sudden, became 20.00, 21.00, 22.00, 23.00 and 24.00 dollars!!.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This is too funny. What do you think you will get by suing?

Have you already paid for shipping and handling? If so what's the problem?

Like others have said, no lawyer in his right mind would bother with this and would you go to the expense to travel to the US, spend a huge amount of money for what?

I think you've been watching too many Ameican movies. :laugh:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
You would be amazed how those 34.00 dollars S&H, all of a sudden, became 20.00, 21.00, 22.00, 23.00 and 24.00 dollars!!.

So lower shipping costs are a bad thing are they? ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mr.Mark said:

Hold on a second....

Note to self: Do not ever invite Mr. Mark to the house if the sidewalk is slippery....hmmm...On second thought...do not ever invite Mr. Mike to the house for any reason.

Ok. Continue...

Scandall

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
miguel said:
Btw, I have bought alot of other things online and it's my opinion that THEY ALL overcharge!!.

ebay sellers overcharge in shipping yes... they would
sell you an item for let's say $9.00 but charge you $12 for
shipping,, and when it arrives it only cost the seller $2.35

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
THE GAME said:
ebay sellers overcharge in shipping yes... they would
sell you an item for let's say $9.00 but charge you $12 for
shipping,, and when it arrives it only cost the seller $2.35
That's how they make it worth their while to sell such an inexpensive item.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Anna Coniglio said:
This is too funny. What do you think you will get by suing?

Have you already paid for shipping and handling? If so what's the problem?

Like others have said, no lawyer in his right mind would bother with this and would you go to the expense to travel to the US, spend a huge amount of money for what?

I think you've been watching too many Ameican movies. :laugh:

or maybe he just thought this could be done easily..
let the kid learn from knowledgeable dr1'ers.