Real Estate Question

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
In doing online research regarding Real Estate in both Sosua and Puerto Plata, I've noticed that there is far more property for sale available in Sosua than there is in Puerto Plata. I realize that Sosua is a more tourist based environment, lending to the need for available units. However, I also noticed that there are also plenty of existing units available for sale, leading me to believe that there might, in fact, be a slight exodus of folks who have lived there for quite some time. Would anyone care to share their opinion as to why there would be more units for sale in Sosua than there is in POP?

I've traveled to both places only twice, so my assumptions are based on limited observations and I was hoping to get the opinions of those who have greater insight than myself. Thanks for any opinions offered.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
JQ, maybe more is for sale in Sosua, I don?t have any facts around that.
The area have more built and is different in its structure if you look at number of locals/foreigners that owns a house.
In Puerto Plata though, if you mean the city of Puerto Plata, there is much for sale as well, in residencial areas like Torre Alta, Ballardo, Bella Vista and other areas such as the new development areas between Puerto Plata and Playa Dorada up the hill.
You just haven?t been there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jackquontee said:
.... a slight exodus of folks who have lived there for quite some time. Would anyone care to share their opinion as to why there would be more units for sale in Sosua than there is in POP?

I don't know in reality if there are more or less units/houses/properties for sale in Sosua than in POP. What I do know however, is that Sosua/Cabarete probably has more realtors (in the western tradition) than POP, i.e., people who advertise their properties in media that is accessible to gringos/extranjeros. I would venture a guess that there is a lot for sale in POP... it is just not so 'in-your-face' than in Sosua/Cabarete...

No, I don't think there is an exodus at all.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Chris, I don't think there is an exodus at all. I believe that there are many many units available for sale in POP as well. But, there are probably more "foreigner friendly" units in Sosua and Cabarete.

It most likely depends on specifically what kind of "property" you are interested in. Is it an investment? To hold long term? Will they eventually live in it? Do they want rental income? To tourists ? Long term rental to ex pats? Land to develope????

It is true too that there seems to be more realtors in sosua and cabarete who are a little more out there in terms of their marketing.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My 2 pesos...

What you see in PoP is not interesting to gringos for the most part. What is sold amoung Dominicans you won't see listed at Gringo realtors. That stuff is sold by word of mouth and between Dominicans.

Frankly in POP proper there are probably less gringos than Sosua/Cabarete.

FWIW

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Thanks folks

The point about a lack of marketing on the part of Puerto Plata properties seems to make sense. As I believe I indicated in my post, I noticed what appeared to be a lack of properties for sale in POP as a result of doing online research. Not an extremely important issue, but was just wondering. Again, thanks to all.

Carina, I've noticed that there has always been mention made of the fact that Puerto Plata has very little to offer. However, my observations were that POP has just as much to offer as Sosua, with the exception that it is more spread out in POP, rather than being concentrated in a smaller area, as seems to be the case around Pedro Clisante in Sosua. As far as those areas you mentioned where property would be for sale, please keep those in mind as I would like to look at them upon my return.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
jackquontee said:
The point about a lack of marketing on the part of Puerto Plata properties seems to make sense. As I believe I indicated in my post, I noticed what appeared to be a lack of properties for sale in POP as a result of doing online research. Not an extremely important issue, but was just wondering. Again, thanks to all.

Carina, I've noticed that there has always been mention made of the fact that Puerto Plata has very little to offer. However, my observations were that POP has just as much to offer as Sosua, with the exception that it is more spread out in POP, rather than being concentrated in a smaller area, as seems to be the case around Pedro Clisante in Sosua. As far as those areas you mentioned where property would be for sale, please keep those in mind as I would like to look at them upon my return.

JQ, I also keep you up to date, I have an idea what you are looking for