Candelier para Presidente

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
This guy seems to be well rounded in the Dominican political arena. He has worked under different political parties and the population seems to love is hard line attitude against criminals. Do you think that this guy is what the DR need as President.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
NO. Candelier is corrupt just like almost everyone else. His image of being tough on crime is just that image. Here's a guy who made about 40,000 pesos a month and has a huge house (amongst other things) in an expensive area of the capital. His house even has a helipad on the roof. How do you think he got all this.

I don't think he has much of a chance though, unless he allies himself with The PRD. So far it sounds like he wants to go it alone. Politics is very different from being chief of police...these guys (Hatuey, Leonel, etc...) will eat him alive if he tries to go against them, and you'll see his image crumble very quickly.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
suarezn said:
NO. Candelier is corrupt just like almost everyone else. His image of being tough on crime is just that image. Here's a guy who made about 40,000 pesos a month and has a huge house (amongst other things) in an expensive area of the capital. His house even has a helipad on the roof. How do you think he got all this.

I don't think he has much of a chance though, unless he allies himself with The PRD. So far it sounds like he wants to go it alone. Politics is very different from being chief of police...these guys (Hatuey, Leonel, etc...) will eat him alive if he tries to go against them, and you'll see his image crumble very quickly.

Yeah. Everyone knows that politicians are corrupted and not to be trusted but they also know that candelier is hard core. With the rampant criminal activities affecting the the DR lately, I am afraid that the population will turn a blind eye to his past corruptions and elect him for his proven 'manos duras' on criminals.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
What I hear

I've been here a week and everyone seems to be fed up with the current political/economic/social situation. Most people have complained about lack of authority and lack of respect for the law. Most seem to wish for a change towards a more disciplined authority.....most seem to be joking at the moment but a I sence a hint of thruth behind the sarcasm of the remarks.

This government seems to be kinda too soft. Public debt is up to U$8.000, corrupt PRD guys are still free, the attorney general has no respect for supreme court rulings, corruption crisis in the police, corrupt business men and pseudo-journalists are sent as ambassadors to Japan and Chile and everywhere you look there is a big *** jipeta with government plates......e pa' lante que vamo!!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
suarezn said:
NO. Candelier is corrupt just like almost everyone else. His image of being tough on crime is just that image. Here's a guy who made about 40,000 pesos a month and has a huge house (amongst other things) in an expensive area of the capital. His house even has a helipad on the roof. How do you think he got all this. .

When I first met Col. Candelier, circa 1981, before he showed his iconic zeal combating illegal forestry, by burning a cache of charcoal (unfortunately still attached to the donkey), he was a wealthy man, owner or part owner of an automobile import business, mainly from NY. He even gave the then First Lady a late model white Mercedes.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mirador said:
When I first met Col. Candelier, circa 1981, before he showed his iconic zeal combating illegal forestry, by burning a cache of charcoal (unfortunately still attached to the donkey), he was a wealthy man, owner or part owner of an automobile import business, mainly from NY. He even gave the then First Lady a late model white Mercedes.

Is this Candelier talking?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
insightful post, you seem to understand politics

suarezn said:

Candelier's resume goes like this: head of national police, then head of AMET. It is widely accepted that he was forced to take this significant reduction in prestige and power because of international pressure from human rights groups in the wake of a number of extra judicial killings that occurred during his watch. Some of you may remember the scary riots in Capotillo during this period. This was also the period during which the El Siglo newspaper ceased publication after Candelier called it "chismoso." Net, net, if he runs his reputation will suffer greatly. The political class here will paint him as an out of control killer and an embarrasment to the country. They can't afford to let him build a grass roots movement because he has too much popular support, particularly amongst the middle class and the uneducated, which leaves the small but powerful oligarchy who hedge their bets by financially backing all the major parties. Que paisito!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador said:

The story of the First Lady's late model white Mercedes doesn't end here. The automobile was one of over one hundred vehicles that the NY FBI reported stolen in NY, physically detected in Santo Domingo, and for which they had asked the Dominican government's cooperation to get them back. When time went by with no response, the NY FBI decided to go public with the news through the media, which created an international incident. When the DR goverment pulled strings in Washington (State Dept of course), the FBI agents were forced to make a public detraction pulling a Galileo (...and yet it moves!).

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
The story of the First Lady's late model white Mercedes doesn't end here. The automobile was one of over one hundred vehicles that the NY FBI reported stolen in NY, physically detected in Santo Domingo, and for which they had asked the Dominican government's cooperation to get them back. When time went by with no response, the NY FBI decided to go public with the news through the media, which created an international incident. When the DR goverment pulled strings in Washington (State Dept of course), the FBI agents were forced to make a public detraction pulling a Galileo (...and yet it moves!).

Wasn't his name also on the list of cops who were in possession of numerous stolen cars that had been recovered and never returned to the rightful owners? I seem to recall the number 15 next to his name. But I am not 100% sure.

Scandall

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
...an expensive (aren't they all?) villa in Casa de Campo....

This guy is a throwback to the 50's and 60's in attitude; that is, authoritarian, uncaring about little things like human rights, fairness and justice. There are a lot like him still around here and in other countries in Latin America, unfortunately. Although with the amount of 'tigueres'
(hoodlums) and tiguere-like mentalities in the lower classes, sometimes I
think a dinosaur like this is what we need. Our present president is too
decent (read 'soft' for a Dominican) for most of our populace who are used
to getting a miserly hand-out and a kick in the rear from their 'leaders'.

By the way, nothing has been said about an expensive (aren't they all?) villa in Casa de Campo that was supposedly 'a gift' to Mr. Candelier.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Scandall said:
Wasn't his name also on the list of cops who were in possession of numerous stolen cars that had been recovered and never returned to the rightful owners? I seem to recall the number 15 next to his name. But I am not 100% sure.

Actually, Candelier could make a good president, because we can trust him. Since we already know he?s dishonest, that makes him predictable. Otherwise, if he was honest, then we would not be able to predict when he will do something stupid ;-)

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
I've got to confess that I'm a bit of a throwback. That said, I believe that we coddle too much to the public. Politicians are too "politically correct" sometimes for fear of alienating possible voters. They really don't speak their minds (or lack of).

Once in a great while someone like ths guy (Candelier) comes up, says what he really thinks, and then we diss him.

Before I continue, let me state that I live in the relative comfort of Puerto Rico, with it's dimwitted and halfa**ed politicians and politics. I do not pretend to tell you people who actually live in DR what's good and what's bad for you (cubans in Miami, take heed!).

That said, I admire the DR for taking nationalist stances against the ever encroachment of the world's only superpower (commie-haters can start ranting here). I believe that if you, as a country, do not allow yourself to be pushed around, then the stronger you are.

Guys like this Candelier could be start. If you're saying that all pols are corrupt, then what does it matter when it could possibly bring less crime and more stability ?? Just my 2 cents on this, now, start bashing ;) E.

xxquizit_moreno

Sep 20, 2005
www.lomaximoproductions.com
Who in their dominican-non-masoquistic mind would think about that?
I mean lets face it!! trujillo died already soo that means that only our granparents and some parents would agree in livin the caudillo life again, feels good to know that you can have a person that ''seems'' well rounded and with a hell destroyer attitude but we all know what the deal is in DR when it comes to havin a possition with such power and to make it sound more coherent if candieler couldnt proove the potential some say he has well too bad it aint gonna happen cause all i can think of candelier as of is a TRUJILLO OF THE NEW MILLENIUM! ....
peace out and platanos con salami!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
He is just another old school...dictator waiting to happen

I agree with F. Alvarez, the country is being closely watched by the international community, and they are still under probation for being considered a failed state, this man is a radical...who does not respect the law he was hired to enforce...a law man acts according to the law..and not re-invent it or act as judge, jury, and executioner....his radical acts and views praised by some people are fuel, and a red flag for a potential dictator and this man can potentially be a heavy threat to the country's human rights issue's and it's democracy...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
daddy1 said:
I agree with F. Alvarez, the country is being closely watched by the international community, and they are still under probation for being considered a failed state, this man is a radical...who does not respect the law he was hired to enforce...a law man acts according to the law..and not re-invent it or act as judge, jury, and executioner....his radical acts and views praised by some people are fuel, and a red flag for a potential dictator and this man can potentially be a heavy threat to the country's human rights issue's and it's democracy...

The country is not "being watched". The country is not "on probation".

The failed state label came from a non-governmental think tank in the US. And was published in a magazine. It is not the official opinion of anyone in government.

On the contrary, the problem is that nobody really cares or pays much attention to what goes on here. Nor do they have a major interest. Those who do are very few in number.

Opposing opinions are welcome.

Scandall

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
JDJones said:
this guy is fighting corruption left and right. Forget about Candelier!

Can anyone care to elaborate more on Miguel Cocco; things such as his education, party, previous post/jobs etc....Personally, I think his a decent guy with good management skills

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am totally going to have to stop reading this thread, I might post things that could get me in big trouble.

Maybe this will be non-specific enough:

I don't think that ANYONE should be president of the DR untill some of the sweeping presidential powers are taken away.

Presidents should't make "decrees", that is what dictators do.

The military should not be used as a domestic police force, that is what communists do.

And local heads of law enforcement should be elected by the people they protect, not appointed by someone who doesn't even know them.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
aegap said:
Can anyone care to elaborate more on Miguel Cocco; things such as his education, party, previous post/jobs etc....Personally, I think his a decent guy with good management skills

It is dangerous to say anything about him that is not complimentary, he is very "old school" in that regard. So you are not likely to get a balanced idea of him from a public forum or from reading the paper either.

I don't think he is a good choice for presidency because his health is failing (he has dialysis 3 times a week) I also doubt whether this region needs another outspoken leftist head of state.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
MrMike said:
It is dangerous to say anything about him that is not complimentary, he is very "old school" in that regard. So you are not likely to get a balanced idea of him from a public forum or from reading the paper either.

I don't think he is a good choice for presidency because his health is failing (he has dialysis 3 times a week) I also doubt whether this region needs another outspoken leftist head of state.

wutup MrMike, ain't getting sweet deals from DGA anymore? ;)