New Energy Measures

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Lets see, so far this government has put out of business many free zone companies. Now in their wisdom they are making Gasoline NOT available on Saturdays after 12pm and Sunday.

That means that people cannot travel on weekends now. Watch Hotels who depend on Dominican Tourists CLOSE up followed by the service industries that do business with them.

In the US when they had the Oil Embargo tourist destinations had gas all the time so they didn't go out of business. This presidency, in its wisdom has started putting the nails in the coffin's that are going to house their biggest economy.

I got a call from a friend at 11:15 am and he told me that there are lines at the gas station and I had better hurry. I did and I was there in 3 minutes. I didn't get gas, the station closed at 12 exactly. I spent over 40 minutes waiting for nothing.

Lines in this country are a riot! Dominicans don't understand the concept. This is going to get dangerous.

Anyone that speaks up for this government is out of their minds. I never thought I would ever say "I wish Hippo was BACK" but I am saying it now. This government is going to knock this country into the dark ages with more stupidity than is believable.

We have NO electric in Sosua these days. I can't speak for anywhere else in the country but we have gone from using our generator from under average of 2 hours a day to over 7 hours a day. This costs us way more to operate than off the grid so now my maintenance will be going up 75 US dollars a month per condo putting it close to 500 without gas or electric.

If the government would just get the electric grid running like a half assed government should things would be 100% better and there would be NO REASON to conserve fuel.

MORONS plain and simple. Morons will stick up for this government but they are MORONS so what do you expect.

So what happens after they kill tourism, free zones and associated business? What the hell is left?

Escott

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Escott said:
I got a call from a friend at 11:15 am and he told me that there are lines at the gas station and I had better hurry. I did and I was there in 3 minutes. I didn't get gas, the station closed at 12 exactly. I spent over 40 minutes waiting for nothing.

Escott
Scott, as much as I respect your knowledge and business acumen, sometimes you make me wonder. All last week ( at least 3 times on DR1) it was announced that the gas stations were closing at noon on Saturday for the weekend. Why would you wait until 11:15 on Saturday morning to go get gas and then blame the government for your misfortune. I know that you probably thought that the government was announcing another policy that they would never enact. They fooled you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Scott, as much as I respect your knowledge and business acumen, sometimes you make me wonder. All last week ( at least 3 times on DR1) it was announced that the gas stations were closing at noon on Saturday for the weekend. Why would you wait until 11:15 on Saturday morning to go get gas and then blame the government for your misfortune. I know that you probably thought that the government was announcing another policy that they would never enact. They fooled you.
I am going to talk slowly to you so you can understand. They are FLUCKING UP THE COUNTRY. They didn't fool me. I still have gas in my car and I don't have to go anywhere.

My point is what THIS government is doing to this country. Concentrate on that and don't try to make it Government vs Escott because it AIN'T.

So it is not that I care about not topping off my car it is that I care that they are screwing the POOCH and the rest of us that choose to live here.

I always know that I can count on you to take things OUT of context.

Escott

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Escott said:
I am going to talk slowly to you so you can understand. They are FLUCKING UP THE COUNTRY. They didn't fool me. I still have gas in my car and I don't have to go anywhere.
Escott

You're right, I couldn't understand why the fluck you would wait in the sun for 45 minutes for gas you didn't need. I always miss your point because you're whining about the extraneous makes me lose my concentration.

I agree, the government hasn't a clue. I guess that was your real point.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought we were prepared, but we got caught short by Mr C's vehicle conking out yesterday. My car usually stays in the marquesina for most of the weekend and we tend to use Mr C's.

I didn't worry about topping up the tank in the second half of the week, and now the dial is hovering just above the quarter mark. It'll have to do for Mr C's work assignment today which involves a 40km round trip, and getting Chirimoyito to school on Monday morning. I can imagine what the queues are going to be like on Monday morning - having seen the filling stations this morning - at 9:00am they were already besieged with waiting cars.

Unless we find some backstreet supplier it looks like we'll be at home all day Sunday...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Although the new energy measure will have little effect on consumption, maybe they will act as wake-up call to the nation by the pain they inflict.

In the US, during the 1973 Arab oil embargo, odd-even rationing was instituted. This had little direct effect on consumption but the pain of the inconvenience it caused acted as a wake-up call. People no longer bought Olds 98s with 454 cubic inch engines. Mass transit was increased. People began to carpool. New engine technology with more fuel efficiency was developed. All positives which only were a result of some pain inflicted by the government.

These measure may be only a small, symbolic step, but maybe will lead to some energy conservation. The other alternative is for the government to do nothing and eventually owe the worth of the country to Venezuela.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
HOWMAR said:
You're right, I couldn't understand why the fluck you would wait in the sun for 45 minutes for gas you didn't need. I always miss your point because you're whining about the extraneous makes me lose my concentration.

I agree, the government hasn't a clue. I guess that was your real point.
My car has A/C so it isn't a HOT SUN for me. You should take some pills to help you with your concentration. I understand you can even buy them over the counter here.

My real point was what 90% of the message was about but you can only concentrate on busting my arse because of your inability to concentrate on the rest of what was said. The government is screwing the pooch on the economy. Get it yet or do I need to draw pictures for you?

Escott

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Escott said:
My car has A/C so it isn't a HOT SUN for me. You should take some pills to help you with your concentration. I understand you can even buy them over the counter here.

My real point was what 90% of the message was about but you can only concentrate on busting my arse because of your inability to concentrate on the rest of what was said. The government is screwing the pooch on the economy. Get it yet or do I need to draw pictures for you?

Escott
How can the government help someone who is sitting in the hot sun, running the A/C, waiting for gas he doesn't need. If you don't want to be part of the solution, at least stop being part of the problem.
But, I am sorry. I will learn to sort through your whining and whimpering and only concentrate on the may points of wisdom you wish to convey. By the way, were there any constructive suggestions that I missed in your post or only criticisms?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The basic point of the OP's post was that the Government

is S-TEE-UU-PIT. PLAIN STUPID>>>No schitt Shakespeare.

First off the closing of 24 hour service stations cost thousands their jobs. The ripple effect is also hitting those people that supplied those thousands with food, housing and other necessities. That's a fact, Jack.

Second, how very perceptive of Escott to see right away that weekend ban of sales of gasoline will very seriously affect local tourism, just in time for the normal "low season" discount offers to spend a weekend at the POP AIs!! Gee, could the timing be any better? Score three for Escott.

Third, as we all know, fer crissake, Dominicans don't do lines very well-and that is being gentle.....:p:p

You know, looking over the stuff of the last two weeks, it is obvious that the PLD is going downhill very fast. Almeyda bans weapons--illegally says FINJUS, so now only the thieves have weapons if you decide to obey the Resolution 09-05. My son says: " Phuck him, I will pay the fine for having my weapon loaded in the car." It makes sense. There were no fines cited in the Resolution 09-05, :D:D:D:D

Then Luis Toral proves that the government has an $88 billion peso surplus and doesn't even need the $31 billion that they say they'll lose with the DR-CAFTA, and that is the excuse for the tax package now running around in Cangress.

Then they announce this idiocy of gasoline station closings.....

I wonder which party will announce itself to be Center-Right and charge into the political frey.??? Former general Candelier? 68% of the people said that they wanted a STRONGER government. We'll see.

HB :ermm: :ermm:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Escott said:
If the government would just get the electric grid running like a half assed government should things would be 100% better and there would be NO REASON to conserve fuel.

Escott
Yes, I agree that getting the electric grid running reliably is the key. The key to getting reliable electric is the government not having to subsidize the electric producers for the 60% of the megawatts they produce that are not paid for by the consumers. As bad a problem as this was when oil was $50 per barrel, it is compounded by oil going to $80 per barrel. Obviously the government had no control over Middle Eastern unrest or Hurrican Katrina.
The only answer is a hardline confrontation with the consumers and businesses which don't pay their fair-share for electric. But, be prepared for civil unrest, violence and possible civil war if the electric to the barrios were to be shut off. I don't think the government is subsidizing electric because it wants to, but because it has no other choice.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You folks have been nowhere... This is a normal measure for tightening the belt on gasoline/fuel. It is totally ineffective and people adapt in a few weeks. You will all travel less and plan your trips better... or travel the same amount and plan your trips better. That is what it is about. I've lived under fuel rationing for many years... We could not travel faster than 80 Km's per hour ever... and we could not fill up during certain hours... just about the same as here. People learnt to plan better, that's all. No-one needs fuel 24 /7. The government should now get the clunkers and bad cars and vehicles off the roads.

Now, the electricity situation sucks... the fuel economy rules I like...

I think the damwall is breaking anyways... It will be an interesting few months ahead...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah I buy gas once or twice a week anyway, not too hard to work it so both times happen before 8PM.

I'm willing to bet most people are the same. Anyone driving so much they need to gas up daily is probably using propane anyway.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Call me stupid but I don't get the point here. The world goverments aren't subsedising gas for us are they? Last time I checked I was under the impression that we pay taxes on top of the actual gas price now matter how high it is (Europe anyone?). I know places like Mexico city have simlar measures but from what I understand its because of the enviroment/smog. What is the point here? Why save gas? Is the DR on a ration? If the costumers are willing to pay whatever it costs (200+ pesos no problem) on weekends let them freaking have it. Better for the goverment too, the riots will then be against Shell, OPEC & co. Where I was yesterday it looked more like people wanted to hang Leonel while their cars ran out of gas at 11:45, 20 cars back in the line for the gas station.