Looking to Rent a villa for 1 year

Lookin_2_move

Sep 17, 2005
hello everyone...

Were brand new at this forum. My wife and I are 30 year old entrepreneurs that want to move to the DR for a year. We want to rent a nice villa for a year, but all we really see are either 1 bedroom condos or huge mansions. Nothing in the middle.

We'd like a 4 bedroom house with a great view, but I dont know where to look. Anyone know of good rentals sites in the DR?

Secondly, were young and hip from Southern California, what area do you recommend we look into in DR?

Thanks
Billy

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Lookin_2_move said:
hello everyone...
Secondly, were young and hip from Southern California, what area do you recommend we look into .......
Billy
Beverly Hills.

Lookin_2_move

Sep 17, 2005
Beverly Hills would be nice if I was that rich, but Im not, plus were not stayin in the US.

So what are some of the nice communities to live in?

Houses that would rent in the 1500 range?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Closer to a city if you want both nature and be close to fun.

North coast, Sosua or Cabarete.
More touristic, alots of foreigners.

Puerto Plata if you want more mixed community, but more residencial and town like.

Santiago, bigger town about 1 hr car ride from Puerto Plata..

Come for a vacation, visit the various cities, and you will see what you like for yourselves. It is so much easier.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You may want to contact Escott on this forum, he might be able to help you.
Also Gringo, sells & rents as a profession.
You can search for these usernames and send them a pm.
See the blue banner on top of each page.

Lookin_2_move

Sep 17, 2005
Carina,

Thanks for the info.

I was reading on another post that its dangerous in DR. Is that the case? Talking about needing a security guard.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Lookin_2_move said:
Carina,

Thanks for the info.

I was reading on another post that its dangerous in DR. Is that the case? Talking about needing a security guard.

It is not more dangerous here than anywhere else.
I wouldn?t run around showing off money in LA on the streets, and I don?t do it here either.

I have lived here for several years, and wohooo!!! I am alive!! ;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Lookin_2_move said:
Carina,

Thanks for the info.

This statement just reinforces the fact that you want to make a move to an area that you have not yet experienced. Many of us that have settled in the DR have tried different areas of the country before settling down. You really have to come, sample and then decide what you want and where you want it.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Lookin_2_move said:
Carina,

Thanks for the info.

I agree with Carina, it's not more dangerous here than the US and likely less so when comparing most major cities there. But with respect to likelihood of theft, there are at least a couple of differences:

1. lack of infrastructure, including lack of a well-equipped, mobile, and effective police force. The ability of police to respond to robberies, etc, is very limited here. So, those with theft-worthy possessions find other ways to protect them... including dogs, private security, barred windows, etc.

(I had thought barred windows were safe, unless would-be thieves at least had the technology to cut the bars. Recently saw a 4 foot piece of wood used to pry the bar loose. Necessity is the mother of... etc. etc.)

2. the likelihood that extremely poor people who perceive most foreigners as 'rich' are nearby; in many cases Dominican employees, ie. maids, security guards, are the first link to others who would like to steal your stuff. Someone recently referred to it as the 'jungle telegraph system'... Dominicans know what's going on in all the gringos' homes.

It's necessary to be alert and to consider the right combination of preventative measures. It has been said that if someone wants in your home, they will find a way. So, never leave money lying around for starters. Don't make it easy for someone to want in.

If you are new here and do not know the ways of this country, please listen to qualified residents and their suggestions to make your stay a good one. You will find many posters here at DR1 who have the experience and smarts to save your mistakes.

Maybe soon Escott will jump in with his copyrighted introductory post: 'If you can avoid the first 10 screwings here, you'll do fine." or something to that effect. Connecting to the right people before you ever get here will go a long way in helping you to avoid the negatives.

Otherwise... I swim most days on a beautiful beach, gazing at blue skys and palm trees, gorgeous people, and ... what more is needed?

Good luck and glad you are here finding out the way to go about it. Dig through the archives, spend hours and hours in the archives, first, to have a great overview. Then let the questions begin.

dawnwil

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good posting Dawn.
There is a difference between LA and here, I just made it very easy for me replying what I did..hehe
The difference is exactly what you described, here is another culture and other ways of behaviour than back home. There are many ways of getting robbed for example. One is just getting robbed, another is being fooled in to traps, or over paying etc etc..

I encourage anyone to move here, but as I always say, with open eyes.
The Caribbean is a wonderful place to call home, but there are also issues to know and understand to be able to call it wonderful.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I guess the first question that comes to my mind is why do you want to move? What made you choose The DR, when it sounds like you've never even visited? A lot of people move because of better weather (I wouldn't think that would be a motive for you, since California has a nice or some woudl say even nicer weather then The DR).
Is it for fear of an earthquake? Guess what we have those too down in The DR.
Cost of living? Housing in The DR is definitely way cheaper than California (almost everywhere else in the planet is), but other things are not a cheap. In addition don't expect that you're going to make a living down there. The DR is great if you have enough money to live a good life without having to work...

Can you put up with blackouts, lack of water, corruption, red tape, lines at the gas station, etc?

I'm not trying to discourage, just being realistic. As other people have already mentioned you need to go down there for a long as you can afford to, travel around the country, get acquainted with the culture and then decide if it is for you and if it is where you'd be more comfortable.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hi Billy,

I have to agree with all the posts here, that you are trying to move to a place that you are not familiar with .
We were going to move to DR few years ago , but before doing so, we decided to rent a place for about 6 month and see how we would like it.
After the time was up, we have decided, that we rather live in North America and make DR our vacation destination and a rental part of our lives instead of a home.

Not beacuse it is dangerous, it just there are so many things that we were lacking by being there, that it would take way too long to list and many here on the forum have already mentioned all of the good and the bad.

My advice also, is to go for a longer saty, enjoy the palce, the country , the weather, the people, food and than , if your heart is still there, move.

I have lived already in 6 countries in the past 30 years, so I am speaking from experience of someone who does like to move around :))
All the best and have a great time

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Hi Lookin 2 move! :classic:

Carina has the reason, you should make a tour a enjoy the country in different places. So you will have different impressions and you could choose by yourself.

Maybe you could want to live near the sea or in the mountains.

Take a ride!

Regards

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Let me give you some suggestions.

I first settled in Sosua because there is a big base of knowledgable expats who made my transition here very easy. I had a network of people here that I could depend on such as Marco from Rockys, Brad from North Coast Dive Shop and a whole bunch of others.

Rent a place for a month and start branching out. You can get a 2 bedroom Condo for 800-1000 US dollars, rent a car for whatever it costs for 30 days and check out this place.

Here you have the Beach, the Mountains, the Desert and the Plains... This is not just a Island but a country that has a wide variety of different resourses. Hell we argue amoung ourselves which is a better place to live and we are all set in our thoughts still to this day.

You have the NUTS from Santiago who say that if you go anywhere else the women are UGLY, the unreal Dominicans are going to treat you wrong and well you get it. Then you have the folks who live in Santo Domingo who swear by the big city. Then you have the intelligent people who live by the beach on the North Coast where the land is LUSH and the ocean is fresh and there is a thriving Expat community to relate to! I have spoken to many people who want to be with the Dominicans in the Barios and they knew something that I didn't although their feelings have changed pretty quickly.

Visit the real estate section on DR1 to get an idea of what is available. Consider renting a condo maybe in Sosua for the first month and LOOK HARD!

Get a base of operations and tour the country. Check in here for particular questions such as "Is there DSL available in Jarabacoa" or just about any other questions you have because here you will get honest answers and if not someone is going to call people on the BS so you will eventually get it even if you run into a moron.

Good luck and keep us informed here.

Escott

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Go slow

Lookin-2-move, I have recently started to travel to the North coast as I am interested in buying a vacation condo there, with the intentions of ultimately moving there. I noticed that you originally mentioned that you were looking to move for a fixed period of time (1 year). That being the case or not, I would strongly suggest what everyone else has suggested--take a couple of trips before you move. I realize that 1 year isn't a long time in the whole scheme of life, but it is a hell of a long time to be somewhere if you decide that you don't like it in a particular area. Take a couple of short trips, at least, and get around in each area during your time there so that you can figure out where it is that you'd really like to be.

I just returned from my second trip to the North coast (both Sosua and Puerto Plata) and I finally made an effort to get around the Puerto Plata area, thanks to Carina, Helmut, and his wife Amparo. Thank God that I did because, I finally made a decision about which of the two I would really want a residence in. And, to be very honest with you, it is not the place I originally thought I'd like to be. Unless you're in a real rush, I would take a little time to research the areas, both online and through personal recommendations and suggestions, as you are doing now.

There are plenty of 4 BR homes and Villas available, depending on where you'd like to live, though I don't know if many of them would be in the price range and possess the accommodations that you are looking for. Only you can make that determination, of course.

And, finally, being California hip doesn't mean much in the DR, except as an advertisement for some Dominican hustler to seperate you from your money. Believe me when I tell you, this is a totally different environment. Too many of the peoples' lives are spent just trying to survive and, in better circumstances, earn a living. I wish you well.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Lets give this a try?

I think I just might have what you are looking for as I don't think Robert will sensor me as I'm now a paid up member in resonable good standing I hope.

Contact me for the Ideal Villa......

www.Realestatedominican.com

Peace

Gringo

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunnyvillas said:
I have to agree with all the posts here, that you are trying to move to a place that you are not familiar with.
Although Lookin_2_move can answer for himself, it sounds like they are not necessarily looking to move to the DR. They are planing to spend a year in the DR. He said they are both entrepreneurs. I am guessing that they plan to do exactly what everyone is suggesting; live in the DR for a while before starting a business or making a permanent commitment.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Las Terrenas if you want a European mix

We have an ex-pat community of around 5,000 - majority French - with about 12,000 locals. The town is only 20 years old - but on one of the most beautiful areas in the world (Conde Nast Traveler ranks the Samana Peninsula as one of the 25 most beautiful places- globally). We have a private French school preparing kids for the Bac- the NY Times, albeit a few days late, -- and a growing younger (30,s , 40's) foreign population. Four bedrooms is a lot, though, for here -- thought you were just a couple? There are lots of vacation condos to put those relatives in when they visit.... You can pm me if you want more ---- best

L

LarrySpencer

Es-pat communities are great, however, what's the use of moving to another country if all you're going to do is hang out with people in the same boat as you. Yes, they are all a great help and can offer much needed advice, however, isn't this the reason all of us, expecially in California, get fed up with the Mexican population...because they don't want to become part of us, they don't want to learn the language, etc?

Yes, find the expats...but also find dominicans whom you can trust. But don't wait to find them when you get there....talk to some while you are here. If you get to know them here, they are more than happy to share their families with you in the Dominican Republic, and they can be very loyal.

I was fortunate enough to find my wife here in Modesto when she was in college, so her family welcomed me with opened arms...as long as I treated their daughter right, I was just as good as their own son. And her friends have done the same....except for the one who tried to hit on me and I told her to go away. Now she doesn't even come to visit my wife anymore.

I assume that since you are an entrepeneur that you have a business that will continue generating american dollars for you while you are here, so worrying about money will not be a problem.

The best thing I can tell you is this...don't come and just be a spectator. Get involved. Learn the language, join a church, volunteer somewhere...even teaching the local children English is a huge help...Learn to live without water for a shower at times or electricity to watch television. You have a family, so learn to enjoy just spending time together.

I have a house in Dajabon, in fact, my wife just made the first payment on it yesterday of 7,000 DP - this is roughly $233, and the normal rent will be 2,000 DP per month ($66 USD). It has three bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, indoor plumbing and a water tank. My friend, Jose Rivas, who works in conjunction with the "Add Your Light" Foundation out of Canada, will install a water filter in a couple of days, so we will be all set up. When I go back in December, I will bring several battery powered alarms with motion sensors. Beleive me, they are very effective. As long as your neighbors know that you have it, and you have demonstrated the sound for them, when they hear it, they come running with machetes in hand! This already has happened once in my in-laws house, just two houses away. A Hatian man tried to break in and the alarm went off. All the neighbors from inside, on the side and behind the house came running and captured the man. After administering the usual beating, they walked him down the road to the local police station.

It's not like here where alarms go off all them time, so people really pay attention. And the Dominican men, and women, seem to take pleasure in helping out, especially when it comes to beating ladrones.

Get used to not having as much meat to eat, more platanos than you know what to do with, and agua de coco. If you like spicy food, forget about it. They think spicy means that it has an extra sprig of celantro or a sprinkle of pepper.

Oh...and I ordered tacos in Santiago once....bad move! Imagine basically tasteless meat with lettuce, sour cream, and yes, mustard and ketchup!

If you can't handle loud noises, stay in California. In the Dominican Republic, expecially if you live in a barrio with many other dominicanos, the music will play all night at the highest setting available, even if the speakers can't handle it.

Good luck! Come to Dajabon when you get here and look me up. I'll be just about the only white guy running around. Just ask for Padre Roberto or Madre Laura...they will point the way. Besides, everyone has to come to see the market at least once! Every Monday and Friday.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
These are "young" and "hip" Southern Californians loking for a "nice" 4-bedroom villa with a view. I don't think they are interested in living in the boonies with a crazy "white" guy running around. Nor do I think they plan on living the life of Dominican poverty which you portray.