cell phone coverage

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
hello! my boyfriend is currently in the dominican republic, serving in the peace corps. i'm researching what the best cell phone options for him are. he's right now in santo domingo, and will be transfered else where later (unknown location). he said that orange and verizon dominica are the biggest companies down there. does anyone have any suggestions on which company to go for? who has better coverage? good deals? another point is i'm on verizon in the states, but i doubt that will affect calling prices.
thanks ;)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Give him both phones, han he will be able to have connections in the major cities and highways
The Dom.Rep. has still a lot of big grey spots, and spots with 1 or 2 providers only

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
verizon has the best coverage, and also is the cheapest calling to USA, in fact I remember its cheaper call to USA than to DR, what a country, you can check it here in spanish:

www.verizon.com.do

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
thanks! yeah apparently it costs me $1.49 a minute on my current plan. yikes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that Verizon has the best coverage right now. Orange is working to improve its coverage and may be better in future than Verizon, but right now Verizon covers most of the island where Orange covers most of the towns and cities. I have seen ads for Verizon saying they have 98% coverage.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
you are right, verizon has the best coverage in cities and roads, but centennial in weekends discount 50% for all outgoing calls in the pre paid service, but unfortunatelly they don?t have the best coverage.

The orange signal is weak and has problem in many places specially in towns near to the mountains. The orange customer service too difficult to contact.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Buy a calling card to call him from The USA for the cheapest option. You can also sign up for an International Long Distance plan on Verizon for $4 a month and get .17/minute calling from your land line to RD.

Inbound calls are free for him.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Verizon has the best service by far in all of the country I have traveled with Friends that had the other services.

Of course there are a few people with Orange Phones who will say different but that is to make up for their bad choices. Show me one Chevy driver that wont tell you a Chevy is best. Same for Fords... But we all know that Verizon is the best.

Now he will probably make his comments and close the thread so they cant get repudiated.

Escott

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
this is all very helpful information, thankyou. i've been looking for the best calling card for the DR, thankyou Tamborista