Who is Candelier?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Escott has mentioned this politician as someone who is planning to run in the next election. Who is he? - D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He is not a politician, but the former head of AMET and the police who has a reputation for being disciplined and tough. Before that, he was in charge of forestry and was reputed for having zero tolerance for anyone cutting down a tree. There are also less savoury allegations, mentioned in recent DR1 threads, concerning him living well beyond his means.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chirimoya said:
He is not a politician, but the former head of AMET and the police who has a reputation for being disciplined and tough. Before that, he was in charge of forestry and was reputed for having zero tolerance for anyone cutting down a tree. There are also less savoury allegations, mentioned in recent DR1 threads, concerning him living well beyond his means.
I wouldnt have a hard time with him living beyond his means if he keeps the armies of others from doing the same.

I have artists visions of him being Julianiesque. Maybe I am dreaming but...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Escott said:
I have artists visions of him being Julianiesque. Maybe I am dreaming but...

Yep...You're dreaming...

The difference is Juliani was tough handed, but within the parameters of the law. Candelier has proven that he couldn't give a damn about the law or human rights or animal cruelty for that matter - Remember this is the guy who burned the donkey alive. In the end his methods were not efficient. Did crime go down while he was chief of police?

I can only imagine that if this guy becomes president the military, police, etc...will feel like they have carte blanche to do as they please. Guess who's involved in a lot (some would say most) of the crimes committed in The DR?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A newspaper comment column recently described him as a potential right-wing version of Chavez. Which of course would make it all right.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
suarezn said:
Yep...You're dreaming...

The difference is Juliani was tough handed, but within the parameters of the law. Candelier has proven that he couldn't give a damn about the law or human rights or animal cruelty for that matter - Remember this is the guys that burned the donkey alive. In the end his methods were not efficient. Did crime go down while he was chief of police?

I can only imagine that if this guy becomes president the military, police, etc...will feel like they have carte blanche to do as they please. Guess who's involved in a lot (some would say most) of the crimes committed in The DR?

Please elaborate on the donkey story. - D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
People were caught with a load of illegally logged wood on the back of a donkey. Candelier set fire to the load, donkey and all.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
People were caught with a load of illegally logged wood on the back of a donkey. Candelier set fire to the load, donkey and all.

:eek: :eek: Ok I need to go lay down now, have some mamajuana and try to get that picture out of my head. :eek: :eek:

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
The way I heard it, was of an old guy legally chopping wood, putting it on his donkey and sending the donkey home (as some animals know their way home). The tragic part was that it had to go through part of a national forest to get there. Forest rangers got ahold of it and thinking it was illegal cutting and the owner had fled, ... well, you get the idea. E

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:

My version of the event comes from a campesino of Loma del Curro, Azua. Candelier, personally piloting a helicopter, detected a campesino hauling a load of charcoal on his burro. Swooping down like a guaraguao, Candelier managed to rope the frightened campesino, like a cowboy in a rodeo, pulling him up into the helicopter. It was then that the load of charcoal, burro and all, was set on fire from the air.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It strikes me that the fact that he the sort of personality that has already generated anecdotes like this*, suggests that he is destined for greater things. It reminds me of the sort of thing you read about in biographies of dead or deposed dictators, like the one about Trujillo and his bottle tops as an early sign of his megalomaniac tendencies.
However, I couldn't help noticing that the urban intelligentsia is not impressed, or at least a little nervous about Candelier's ambitions. See the item in today's DR1 news quoting the 'Que se dice' column.

*which may be true, partly true or completely false.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
*which may be true, partly true or completely false.

Reality is allways more incredible than fiction. The fact is that these stories have caught the imagination of the people, and I gather that its propagation highlight more the extraordinary zeal of the man, than a negative violent trait.

After Candelier's stint in Foresta, the authorities let down their guard, and campesinos returned to their desperate activity of cutting trees and producing charcoal. Desperate, because in many places it's the only means of survival. In the meantime, deforestation continues at an increasing pace...

"What good is killing the dog if you leave the rabies?" (Anonymous ;-)

Last edited:

obiuno

Jan 2, 2002
What I've heard about Candelier

My sources tell me the following: After the forestry department sting, he studied law and graduated among the top of his class. Later on (my sources would not explain about the timing, but I?m assuming that it was after his sting as head of the police department), he got a degree in Information Technology, also graduating among the top of his class.

His family owns a poultry farm in La Vega (which I assume he inherited), a fact widely known around his hometown. He invested heavily in this business, which is well run (by his relatives in La Vega) and profitable. About his villa in Casa de Campo, Banco Popular?s Mr. Grullon already publicly admitted that it was a gift from him. My sources don?t know in exchange of what.

That?s all I know for know. I?ll come back when I have more information.

Obiuno
Under the sun...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let's wait and see!!

suarezn said:
Yep...You're dreaming...

The difference is Juliani was tough handed, but within the parameters of the law. Candelier has proven that he couldn't give a damn about the law or human rights or animal cruelty for that matter - Remember this is the guy who burned the donkey alive. In the end his methods were not efficient. Did crime go down while he was chief of police?

Correct suarezn!

For those of you who think that Candelier would make a good president, all I will tell you guys is that:

He would be much worse than Baldie and Fernandez put together!!.

He thinks that he is above "everything" and he would bring the same mentality if "elected" president. With his ideas and ways of thinking, I see him trying to become a dictator.

Lets not forget that many here thought that Leonel was going to be so great and he is turning out to be just average, if that!.

Mirador said:
My version of the event comes from a campesino of Loma del Curro, Azua. Candelier, personally piloting a helicopter, detected a campesino hauling a load of charcoal on his burro. Swooping down like a guaraguao, Candelier managed to rope the frightened campesino, like a cowboy in a rodeo, pulling him up into the helicopter. It was then that the load of charcoal, burro and all, was set on fire from the air.

If only that was possible I would vote for him in a second. Flew helicopter, roped him and burro and set them on fire, Who is this guy Rambo?