Gasoline to be rationed.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Well I just got back from vacation and unfortunately heard on the radio this morning that gasoline will be rationed. When I got in the office I called Santo Domingo to confirm and it is true. Starting today, gas stations will receive only a portion of the fuel they request. I imagine the quota will vary station to station, but can't say for sure. I don't know why this is taking place but will post any new developments.

Just a heads-up folks !

Greg

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Shell is trying to sabotage Petrocaribe, the Chavez initiative designed to help out Caribbean countries. Two tankers with about 330.000 barrels scheduled to arrive last Wednesday, are more than late. President Fernandez has cried that come hell or high water, Petrocaribe goes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Greg, what about diesel? Does El Neptuno have to keep an even closer eye on fuel in the tank and order sooner from you than before?

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Ken said:
Greg, what about diesel? Does El Neptuno have to keep an even closer eye on fuel in the tank and order sooner from you than before?

Make biodiesel or mix with vegetable oil

Both work

Greetings

Johan

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
heldengebroed said:
Make biodiesel or mix with vegetable oil

Both work

Greetings

Johan

I hope it doesn't come to that. But where I live we have electricity 24/7 and generator running much more this month than previously. If on top of this fuel is going to be harder to get, we want to know so we can act accordingly.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Just to be safe, keep it on the half-full side.

Ken said:

Ken, we should not have any problems here with fuel, especially not with diesel (Coastal has its own fuel port and depot which has several huge diesel fuel tanks with capacities in the millions of gallons) as we receive our diesel from the U.S. via tanker. However, to be on the safe side, I would not advise anyone to let their tanks run empty or close to it during times such as these.

I'll post any new information that I get.

Greg

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Greg, should the coastal have some supply of gas for cars. I am heading to Sosua saturday and rented a car, I want to be able to gas it up. Pls advise.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ecarignan said:
Greg, should the coastal have some supply of gas for cars. I am heading to Sosua saturday and rented a car, I want to be able to gas it up. Pls advise.
If you are not going to be there by noon forget it Eric. They close up tighter than a drum with an Army guy there.

Escott

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Maybe call the rental car folks and ask them to fill it.

ecarignan said:

Now, the hours all gas stations can sell gas is from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday through Friday, from 6:00 am to 12 noon on Saturday, and not at all on Sunday. So maybe you call contact the rental agency and request that the car be full if you are planning to drive much on Saturday and Sunday. As Scott mentioned, the guardia (military) is on hand to ensure the hours are respected, so nothing can be done about that. BTW, I heard some talk today that they will also prohibit fuel sales in containers, only to vehicles, in order to stem the burgeoning black market sales of fuel.

Greg

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Coastal said:
I heard some talk today that they will also prohibit fuel sales in containers, only to vehicles, in order to stem the burgeoning black market sales of fuel. Greg

The intention is to prohibir the 'resale' of fuel. Gas stations will continue selling fuel in containers for use in auxiliary power plants. What will be prosecuted is the roadside sale of fuel in containers from premises outside gas stations.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. I've been going to the DR for about 3 yrs, invested in a home in 2003, getting another built now. Starting to think there may be better places in we cannot control what we can afford like gas. They should rationed the cheap sex instead.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
To prohibit the black market resale of fuel is the intention.

Mirador said:
The intention is to prohibir the 'resale' of fuel. Gas stations will continue selling fuel in containers for use in auxiliary power plants. What will be prosecuted is the roadside sale of fuel in containers from premises outside gas stations.

But what I was told was that gas stations will not be allowed to sell in gallons either, in order to stop the supply for these roadside stands. But like I said, this was just something I've heard today, no verification.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My friendly neighborhood gas station, Texaco on the corner of Winston Churchill Ave and Luis F. Tom?n St., just ran out of gas. I have no fuel for the weekend... There's a rumor that the entire South is without fuel. How's things on the North Coast?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
My friendly neighborhood gas station, Texaco on the corner of Winston Churchill Ave and Luis F. Tom?n St., just ran out of gas. I have no fuel for the weekend... There's a rumor that the entire South is without fuel. How's things on the North Coast?
I just filled up a couple of hours ago at the Coastal station in Sosua with super.
Nothing seemed abnormal, no line ups or people being turned away.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
No issues from my side

I filled up not long ago on Las Americas in Santo Domingo at Texaco. No issues.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Got Gas?

I just had a friend call me from Santo Domingo. He said that he went to one station and the limit was 500.00 pesos. Anyone can shed any light on the real situation.