English expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Many of these I am not sure how to say in spanish... some I can. Those of you that are able please provide an example of how you would say some, if not all of the expressions. Thanks.

-Don't write a check that your a** can't cash!

-Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

-The early bird gets the worm.

-His bark is bigger than his bite.

-If the shoe fits wear it.

-Whatever floats your boat.

-When the cat is away the mice will play.

-I caught you red-handed.

-What is in the dark will soon come to light.

-Kill two birds with one stone.

There are many more, but this will be enough. Thanks to those of you that respond.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The early bird catches the worm - El que madruga coge la oruga.
(In Mexico they use A quien madruga, Dios le ayuda. Not sure what is used in DR, never heard anyone use it at all)

The dog that bark doesn?t bite ( His bark is bigger than his bite ) - Perro que ladra no muerde.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Flaco said:
Many of these I am not sure how to say in spanish... some I can. Those of you that are able please provide an example of how you would say some, if not all of the expressions. Thanks.

-Don't write a check that your a** can't cash!

-Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

-The early bird gets the worm.

-His bark is bigger than his bite.

-If the shoe fits wear it.

-Whatever floats your boat.

-When the cat is away the mice will play.

-I caught you red-handed.

-What is in the dark will soon come to light.

-Kill two birds with one stone.

There are many more, but this will be enough. Thanks to those of you that respond.

-Kill two birds with one stone = Matar 2 pajaros con un solo tiro

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
-Don't bite the hand that feeds you. No muerdas la mano que te alimenta.

-If the shoe fits wear it. Al que le quede el zapato que se lo ponga. You can use it with hats and gloves too ;)

-When the cat is away the mice will play. Cuando el gato no est? los ratones se divierten.

-I caught you red-handed. Te agarr? con las manos en la masa... sort of...

-Kill two birds with one stone. Matar dos p?jaros de un tiro.

Jess

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are these expressions really used or are these just translations?

I thought of a few last night but I wondered if the translations would be understood by those that speak Spanish.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
JDJones said:
I use em' all the time, but translating literally, like on this thread. Most of the time they're understood, other times, I get pretty weird looks..

If you use them translated "literally like on this thread" you should not get weird looks... unless you dont know when to shoot them... :bandit:

I didn't "translate" the other expressions because even when I know what they mean I can't find something similar in spanish without burning my brain in the process. Carina, in Peru we also use A quien madruga Dios le ayuda... and perro que ladra no muerde seems to be the best "translation" for the bark/bite expression.

Maybe Lesly can add the other expressions in spanish.

Jess

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I didn?t either "translate" the expressions/proverbs.I posted those I know of, and that I knew of being used in Spanish.
That, I believe, was the OPs questions.
The one I was unsure of, I wrote the Spanish way of using the probverb, and added that I have not heard it here.

Proverbs are usually a heritage of a national folklore, and cannot just be "translated"...they are in the bones of the body ;)

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks alot for all of the responses. I apologize to those of you that thought I wanted a literal translation, because that is not the case. I was just wondering if you all used statements, like the ones listed in my first post, in your everyday conversations so that I could begin to apply those that I did not already know into my daily conversations in spanish. Thanks to all that respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.